Star Wars Spoof Coming from Friedberg and Seltzer

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Star Wars Spoof Coming from Friedberg and Seltzer

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1380/1380846.jpg

Mel Brooks is rolling over in his bed. Just his bed. He's still alive.

Vampires Suck [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/jason+friedberg][/i], you have a good idea of what I'm talking about. If you haven't, don't. Don't even think about it. They're not even funny in a so-bad-they're-good way. You can't rip them apart with friends. They're just brain-numbingly terrible.

So, of course, they made a lot of money.

It's actually been a couple of years since we've seen Friedberg and Seltzer - their last three movies have gone to the VOD market, and a Star Wars [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taken_(film)] spoof, which has been titled (not kidding): Star Worlds Episode XXXIVE=MC2: The Force Awakens The Last Jedi Who Went Rogue.

Presumably, this new movie will use the new Star Wars movies as a base - we already did Mel Brooks [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaceballs]' talent.

If there's one movie I know I'm not looking forward to seeing, it's this one.

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/star-wars-spoof-jason-friedberg-aaron-seltzer/]

[gallery=6913]

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Who keeps giving them money to make these awful movies? A better question would be: Why do people pay for and watch these godawful movies?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, with the exception of Disaster Movie, which bombed (irony, I guess?), they do seem to make money. They seem to consistently cost about $20 million to make, and gross around $40 million domestically and $80 million world-wide.

This is not in any way to say that they don't suck, or that they should keep making them. I'm generally the last person to accept "but it makes money" as a credible excuse, whether we're talking about a degenerating movie franchise, or pay-to-win "freemium" mobile games, or the latest ploy from EA or Activision to wrestle an extra $5-$10 out of your pocket. It's just an explanation, however sad, for how they keep happening.

All the more disappointing is that it's entirely possible to make a good parody out of any of the properties they've dribbled slime over. There's plenty of material to work with, and even a fair amount of low-hanging fruit that many a movie-goer would enjoy seeing skewered. But their approach mostly seems to be "reference to thing that was in this movie! Now done by a b-list celebrity, look-alike, or "comically" opposite-seeming stand-in! Pause for laughs while we mug at the camera!" And then move on to some other movie or pop-culture reference, because the audience presumbably doesn't even have the attention span to stick to one movie parody.

I guess it mostly calls attention to the dearth of witty people willing to make movie parodies right now. So Friedberg and Seltzer will continue to pollute their corner of the pond with their poop... whatever. I'm not going to see it, and it doesn't quite raise my ire to the level of one of the witless $100-million-plus bombs that could have been five or six decent movies with its budget.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Ah yes, the "Hey, it's Michael Jackson! It's funny because it's a reference to pop culture!!!" and "Quote Paying Homage (totally not just stealing other people's jokes) Unquote" style of humor.

Parody seems like it should be somewhat easy so I'm not sure how these guys manage to screw it up so very badly...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I didn't even like Spaceballs. I thought it was one of Brooks' weaker films. But I would watch that in a heartbeat over anything these two buffoons put together. They are the very definition of simultaneously trying too hard and not hard enough.

P.S. Thanks

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Marter said:
[---] a Star Wars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star+wars] spoof, which has been titled (not kidding): Star Worlds Episode XXXIVE=MC2: The Force Awakens The Last Jedi Who Went Rogue.[---]
Okay, that actually illicited a chuckle out of me. It just sounds so desperate, saying "look, look, we have seen all these movies", and making sure to reference ALL the recent titles. It's so bad it's good. At least a bit. I won't watch it for the reasons stated in this articlle.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
KissingSunlight said:
Who keeps giving them money to make these awful movies? A better question would be: Why do people pay for and watch these godawful movies?
Apparently they release the films on weekends where there's no competition.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Ah the meme grade "parody". In that they go "hey here's a thing you know, do you remember this thing" and call that a joke.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Calling it now, the villain will be a Trump...uh...was going to say parody but...

I think the problem with movie parodies is they are too often obviously just a movie parody. The better ones usually seem more like real movies that make jokes, rather than just some shot for shot visual gags.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Wow, they just aren't giving up like they should.

I thought they'd take the hint after studios quit giving them a wide releases after Vampires Suck but I guess it's better than giving up film and working in a different field like what happened to Uwe Boll. I'm just gonna hope that studio won't try to give them another wide release though and it'll just come out limited to little fanfare like with The Starving Games and Superfast.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Callate said:
I'm generally the last person to accept "but it makes money" as a credible excuse,
Except that in the entertainment industry, when you make money you get to keep trying. As long as someones projects keep turning a profit, they'll be able to get more stuff approved. If you can keep your costs under control it's not hard to make money on even mediocre products. That's how all those direct-to-DVD studios keep churning out movies. As long as people keep paying, they'll keep making.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Why can't Mel Brooks just make Spaceballs 2: The Quest for More Money?

I know the running gag is he never makes the sequels, but we can't keep having these no-talents kill satire all the time.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Well this is gonna be a train wreck. Why do people keep throwing money at these guys again? Give me Spaceballs any day of the week!

LTenhet

Jun 26, 2012
Saelune said:
Calling it now, the villain will be a Trump...uh...was going to say parody but...

I think the problem with movie parodies is they are too often obviously just a movie parody. The better ones usually seem more like real movies that make jokes, rather than just some shot for shot visual gags.
I agree, most of these parody movies seem to be entirely "This is the plot of the serious movie but with WACKINESS!" it just seems like the older movies were actual movies, maybe loosely based on the plot of another movie but they took themselves more or less seriously and added jokes. Airplane!, Hot Shots, The Naked Gun, etc... really anything with Leslie Nielsen until the end there as well.

It helped that, especially with Airplane, they got serious actors who would act serious even when they were spouting hilarious nonsense.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
well at least it will terrible and nothing will ever be good again.. so there's that...

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Hell. Fucking. NO!!

Do those two have a rich dads or something because why the hell are they still given work. They are awful at film making as a whole. I feel bad for Star Wars fans.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I'm fine with spoof movies, and I even enjoy some, but god damn, these guys are just terrible at film making.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
I'd probably care, but if these guys are going to base it on the new Star Wars...

Is there even that much in the source material to be ruined in the first place?