Star Wars: The Old Republic Loses Executive Producer - UPDATED

Alex Mac

Jul 5, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
The fact that they aren't from Telos doesn't matter. What does matter is that the way they are being presented goes against what the HK-51s are supposed to be. Independent, self serving killing machines that answer only to other HK units due to their self preservation routines. Having them turned into player companions so that they can have their own personal HK-47 knockoff goes completely against the HK-51s original intent.
You're judging intent from a barely finished piece of cut content and a blurb from an old sourcebook. That's bad basis for establishing intent. In fact, having played the relevant content, we know that unprogrammed HK droids are of variable allegiance. We know this because it an happen in the self safe cut content. GOTO can assume control over them (and even HK-47) given the proper variables, which immediately shuts down your notion of answerability to only other HK units. So perish this thought that we were necessarily dealing with independent machines. We're not. Not entirely. And all it takes for a quick lore fix, like it or not (and frankly, I don't care if you don't like it), is to say that the units liberated by HK-47 were unique.

Canon shifts all the time, particularly in this IP. Nothing is ever completely sacrosanct. Hell, not even the films are.

And while Avellone may have had similar intentions as Bioware for just what the True Sith were, I doubt the execution of such a foe would be similar. The True Sith we are presented with are Sidious's Galactic Empire, right down to the visual aesthetics. Their leader is Darth Nihilus with a different name. Instead of the war of ideals that Traya hinted at, we are given the Prequel Era Old Republic fighting the OT Era Galactic Empire using force of arms.
Now we are talking about visual aesthetics, which is tricky because there's even lore reasons for this (ie. similarities of ship structure, the usage of the Bendu symbol, and even the visual similarities of Imperial military uniform). We can argue if it was lazy design and I'm generally inclined to agree with those but the fact of the matter is that all these things that apparently drive you nuts have escape clauses written into the very fabric of the IP. And not just by BioWare's writers.

As to the notion of internal war, the theme is not wholly abandoned, despite your proclamations. Indeed, one of the large struggles of TOR comes from the ideological struggles of the Jedi and Sith, extending back to the time of the Great Hyperspace War. To say nothing about the game's desire to explore the relative worth of the Republic and Empire with no definitive answer. The physical manifestation of this (ie. war) would have occurred no matter who handled the writing and no matter the exact nature of the True Sith. Avellone would have obviously done things different but he relishes in deconstruction while BioWare's MO has always been rooted in notions of reconstruction first.

Everything about what Bioware has done is the antithesis of what Obsidian had planted. The internal war of ideals becomes the external war of weapons. The droids of individuality and independence become slaves to organics. They seem to take Obsidian's ideas and then do the opposite.
Ignoring your gross, gross oversimplifications and immense fawning over Obsidian (who, I might add, I do think write consistently better stories than BioWare)...BioWare has the right and Lucas Licensing has the right to take the frame work offered by Obsidian and do whatever they want with it.

Regardless, this discussion is not only off topic but dull. It amounts to bruise ego nonsense. "Oh, what if Chris Avellone did this." "Oh, I wanted this instead of this!" "If only he managed to.." Well, guess what? Unfortunately, he didn't. Instead, he got to return to the work he started on Van Buren and finally weave it into New Vegas. I, for one, am immensely glad for that turn of events. Fallout 3 was fine enough but to have so many old Black Isle individuals return to the IP was nothing less than a godsend.

Damn TOR on its own merits if you must damn it. Not on in comparison to some hypothetical, perfect Obsidian developed masterwork. Judge it on the actual and on its own. Many of your critiques would still hold and you'd also sound a lot less petulant. You've had years to accept the notion that Obsidian's vision was likely not going to come to pass. It's probably best to let that go, Indiana.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk said at the time that the studio was "bidding farewell to some talented, passionate and exceptionally hard-working people," but didn't specify how many were being cut or when they'd be shown the door.
And so another company has been raped and pillaged to its eventual doom. I can't say I'm suprised. Once they allied with EA it was only a matter of time. I would have kept a running tally of just how many companies have fallen to EA's horrific mismanagement, but I lost track about a decade ago.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saalGKY7ifU

In all seriousness, I do sincerely wish those who lost their jobs the best but Bioware went to bed with the devil (EA). This is what happens...

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
fi6eka said:
Starke said:
Though, as you pointed out, KOTOR2 really deals with the fallout of that war in detail.
War.War never changes.

Sorry, but the oportunity was ripe for the taking.

OT:I have no sumpathy for ToR, especialy since it completely retcons most of the plot of KOTOR2.

captcha:Burger with fries. - more like Bullshit and chips if you ask me.
Just remember, when the chips are down, the Brahmin is empty.

But yeah, I'm with you on the no sympathy. This whole thing has a hilarious schadenfreude quality for me.