Star Wars VII trailer is out!

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012

So yeah...

Looks like that plot leak of the main characters being a defecting Imperial who crashes on Tatooine and the girl he meets was right... maybe?

Also the bad guy has another weird lightsaber!

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Genocidicles said:

So yeah...

Looks like that plot leak of the main characters being a defecting Imperial who crashes on Tatooine and the girl he meets was right... maybe?

It doesn't look that weird. Just like a little hand guard thing. It almost looks primitive.

The action shots looked GREAT. Hope the rest of the movie matches up!

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Genocidicles said:
So yeah...
Very much agreed.

Storm Trooper with face shown = Main character?
Soccerball Robot = lolwut?
Storm Troopers in a transport.
Female on a speeder = Main character?
X-Wings on a Lake...
Stupid Sith Lightsaber.
And, Millennium Falcon.

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
I really want to not hate it.... I'm sorry but I can't... I tried, clearly something wrong with the midi-boring-things.

Good points : No lens flare, replaced by sickening spinny cameras
Bad: points: wtf was that lightsabre, just wtf I mean wtf....

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Kolby Jack said:
It doesn't look that weird. Just like a little hand guard thing. It almost looks primitive.
Yeah but if the hand guard isn't purely lightsaber then what's stopping another lightsaber just cutting straight through the metal part?

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
... I actually like the new lightsaber.

Plus I love the idea that the first character shown might be a Stormtrooper deserter ... who may, or may not get the force.
Doubtful, but I still like the idea.

I'm hopeful.

EDIT: Oh man, I can already see the major Star War fan rage. So lovely~

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, generic trailer with lots of random sequences stuck together with loud trailer noises.

The movie could be about literally anything (involving a guy with a rubbish looking lightsabre). Though, the lack of any protection for the hand was a serious drawback of the classic ones.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Can't watch the trailer just yet, but can someone tell me if it uses John Williams music, or generic Hans Zimmer Inception BWAAAHs.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Can't watch the trailer just yet, but can someone tell me if it uses John Williams music, or generic Hans Zimmer Inception BWAAAHs.
Both in the trailer, but the latter might be a trailer only thing.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
Sounds like John Williams (I should bloody hope so, because they apparently got him to do the score for this trilogy too), and they've got the Main Star Wars theme in there too.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Are there, or is there going to be, any serious discussion about that lightsaber, because I am totally geeking out about it. The clearly primitive, almost as if it was created by someone who got their hands on a lightsaber schematic and built it to the best of their technical ability, without the guidance of a Jedi/Sith? I mean, it's to soon to tell and it could mean or be anything, but its clearly not a traditional lightsaber. Probably a larger power cell too considering the necessity to both split the beam and create what seems to look like a slight larger beam, but maybe I'm seeing it wrong.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Soviet Heavy said:
The classic Star Wars theme is in there intact. So at least it gets that right.

OT: This tells us nothing about the plot, other than vague bullshit is coming. Really all we can focus on are the designs.

Like: X-wing (Hardly changed at all. Good.) Millennium Falcon (Just looks decent)

Dislike: Storm Trooper outfits and their guns (Abrams REALLY wants to make everything look like it was produced by Apple doesn't he?) The speeder (Why is that lady driving a box?)

Undecided: That lightsaber (Kinda weird, but I don't dislike it. Don't like it either. Maybe I'll grow to hate it or maybe it'll grow on me. We'll see.)

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
shadowmagus said:
Are there, or is there going to be, any serious discussion about that lightsaber, because I am totally geeking out about it. The clearly primitive, almost as if it was created by someone who got their hands on a lightsaber schematic and built it to the best of their technical ability, without the guidance of a Jedi/Sith? I mean, it's to soon to tell and it could mean or be anything, but its clearly not a traditional lightsaber. Probably a larger power cell too considering the necessity to both split the beam and create what seems to look like a slight larger beam, but maybe I'm seeing it wrong.
Ok on thinking about this, it's cool, from a very specific standpoint.... as everyone knows the no.1 lightsabre related injury is loss of hand/arm, the person with this one is at a huge advantage

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Jesterscup said:
Ok on thinking about this, it's cool, from a very specific standpoint.... as everyone knows the no.1 lightsabre related injury is loss of hand/arm, the person with this one is at a huge advantage
Outside of loss of life, loss of hand/arm is literally the ONLY lightsaber related injury. Star Wars films feature more de-limbings per hour than your average Dead Space play through.

I liked the trailer, but then I'm generally bullish on this "reboot" of the franchise anyway. I consider Abrams a competent if unspectacular director, and competency in the director's seat is something Star Wars hasn't had for decades. It's not challenging material. It doesn't require an auteur.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
The lightsaber looks like a dual crossguard style with a Mestare crystal. Which would be a little odd, considering that most Sith use synthetic crystals and Mestare crystals are natural.

In any case, the lightsaber really isn't that strange if you delve into the EU at all. There are much stranger running around.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Hey, looks good to me. I'm not a huge fanboy, but have watched the movies a few times. Of course we can't see much from the trailer (isn't this technically a teaser), but we learn the most important things:
1: No fucking lens flares thank god
2: It looks the way Star Wars should look, with its iconic sci fi punk style. And yes that's a word I just made up but you get me
3: No sight of Jar Jar Binks

EDIT:
The handguards makes sense actually. Looks pretty silly I have to admit, but I don't think a Sith would choose stylishness over fighting usability.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That lightsaber looks quite unwieldy. Looks like you wouldn't be able to properly fight with that thing without nipping yourself in the wrist.

But hey, at least no CG Yoda, right? ... Right?!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
But hey, at least no CG Yoda, right? ... Right?!
He's safely dead unless we get some Force Ghosting...

OT: Well, that... *shrug*

I have no strong opinions on it, it showed very little. A new lightsaber gimmick and some familiar visuals. Okay.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah I thought it looked like a fan-made affair, especially the Tatooine set, the way the Stormtrooper just jumps up and the way The Force Awakens appears on the logo.

Really, we're doing Tatooine... AGAIN?!