Star Wars VII trailer is out!

Nukekitten

Sep 21, 2014
Jesterscup said:
Ok on thinking about this, it's cool, from a very specific standpoint.... as everyone knows the no.1 lightsabre related injury is loss of hand/arm, the person with this one is at a huge advantage
Within the tradition they seem to draw from for a lot of their choreography it makes a certain degree of sense to have a guard like that. Of course, if you can set it up so that the blade won't cut the little bit your blade is emitting from then it makes far more sense to have a longer bit for your hands to go on, since you can't exactly half-sword glowing hot death like you can a longsword and it provides you much greater flexibility as the range changes....

It's hard to say what would truly make sense with space wizards wielding weightless blades of instant cutting though. I mean if I had a weightless blade of instant cutting and was obliged to fight someone, I'd probably be looking at something more like Spanish fencing than wielding the thing like a Bastard sword or a sabre.

It'd be like: Wait! It weighs nothing and cuts instantly and you want me to get close enough to use the edge? Why? Nu-uh. I mean yeah, sometimes, - and the cuts I'm going to get when I'm drawing it back out of someone's body after a stab are going to be rather effective - but I think I'm gonna stay out here and close once I've got the advantage. If they want to come in swinging they're going to meet Mr Pointy coming the other way ^_^

And then you stab them while they're trying to set up for a cut. Heck if you've got a short spear version you probably just go high to low and I can't imagine them dealing too well with that.

The sort of interplay that I feel would be likely to develop with that sort of fighting doesn't favour that sort of guard particularly well. It stops someone sliding their edge down your blade but it's not gonna do too much about someone coming in at a much shallower angle.

But yeah, space wizards....

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Pinkamena said:
EDIT:
The handguards makes sense actually. Looks pretty silly I have to admit, but I don't think a Sith would choose stylishness over fighting usability.
The idea of handguards arguably make sense[footnote]the fact that nobody using the things has ever slid one blade across the other does make one question whether or not it's really justified though[/footnote], but the execution is laughably ineffective. The part where such a guard is most needed is monopolized by the emitters themselves. If the metal they're comprised of actually can block a lightsaber, the plasma they emit is unneeded. If they cannot, then the guard might as well be made of paper for all the good it will do. In order to make the crossguard effective, the beam emitters would have to be flush with the grip, not extending outwards from it like they do in the teaser.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Visually I think it looks good. The CGI is a lot more crisp than anything in the prequel movies and also a lot less relied upon. It's like actual sets were made and not studios with blue screens in every direction.

I liked John Boyega in Attack the Block so I am excited to see how he fits in with the Star Wars universe.

I'm not aware of any plot details but as long as Lucas is not involved I don't think it can be as bad as the prequels. Star Trek (2009) had some weird plot holes and contrivances but at least it was FUN. And that's what I'm expecting here, the Star Wars equivalent of the 2009 Star Trek film.

CitizenM

Oct 16, 2014
Well, the teaser certainly looks like a far different film than the prequels, both in tone and technique. Which we knew to expect, but I will say that as a long time film fan, some of the shots felt slightly jarring to my eye. I associate Star Wars with the 1970's style of filmmaking. The inclusion of more modern camera shots (especially the tight-in hand held) definitely stands out. Not saying it's inherently bad, but it's very noticable as a visual departure one can't help but recognize knowing the style of the original films so well (and the dated camera work of the prequels).

The little the teaser did show was promising as far as visuals. But yet again Abrams displays an unhealthy fixation upon iconic visuals of the film eras of the past that he adores. Yes, it certainly looks, sounds and feels like Star Wars, in most ways even far more than the prequels. Therein lies my problem with these new films: a slavish reverence to the past. Abrams did it with "Super 8" and with "Star Trek Into Darkness", both of which suffered as a result. I'm concerned this "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" film is going to be another of Abrams fan fiction-like moives, all iconic nostalgia for classic Lucas and Speilberg recreated so perfectly that the entire film feels exactly like something we've already watched, right down to the story and character beats. I just hope this Star Wars film doesn't fall prey to Abrams worst tendencies. I want this movie to stand on its own.

I don't want to wallow in criticism typical of the internet, so I'm going to be positive. I did like what I saw. I want to be hopeful about this. The visual look of the film is great and plenty of what is teased intrigues me. What is Boyega doing in a stormtrooper suit? Who is the droid? Why is there so much imagery of the Imperials? Who is the black robbed figure with the sith-colored lightsaber? The mystery is certainly there and the teaser definitely succeeded in getting me to ask questions and start to get invested.

Lastly, I MUST say it was an awesome cultural statement that the first moving image we see of the new Star Wars is John Boyega. THAT was bold. A real break from the norm and an excellent cultural shot in the arm.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I wonder if the really plastic look of the Stormtrooper outfit is a homage to the obviously plastic suits of the original trilogy, although I don't really like the new suit design.

Jesterscup said:
I really want to not hate it.... I'm sorry but I can't... I tried, clearly something wrong with the midi-boring-things.

Good points : No lens flare, replaced by sickening spinny cameras
Bad: points: wtf was that lightsabre, just wtf I mean wtf....
Super shakey cam activate!

I wonder how long this trend will last for before directors realise that wide shots were always better because they allow your audience to work out what the heck is going on during an action scene.

Also the lightsabre crossguard would make more sense if the metal bits didn't protrude at the most crucial piece of the sword, although it kind of works because the beam still goes through the inside of that bit offering the same protection, it's just a question of whether the beam will remain if that metal is destroyed, or if it's more a fashionable add on.

I would have suggested having the just a bottom half of the crossguard as a metalic semi circle, so the top half is open all beam providing impenetrable protection, but that's just me.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Asita said:
Pinkamena said:
EDIT:
The handguards makes sense actually. Looks pretty silly I have to admit, but I don't think a Sith would choose stylishness over fighting usability.
The idea of handguards arguably make sense[footnote]the fact that nobody using the things has ever slid one blade across the other does make one question whether or not it's really justified though[/footnote], but the execution is laughably ineffective. The part where such a guard is most needed is monopolized by the emitters themselves. If the metal they're comprised of actually can block a lightsaber, the plasma they emit is unneeded. If they cannot, then the guard might as well be made of paper for all the good it will do. In order to make the crossguard effective, the beam emitters would have to be flush with the grip, not extending outwards from it like they do in the teaser.
Mhm, I noticed that too. I'm willing to let it cautiously slide, perhaps it makes sense somehow in the movie. Gonna have to wait for some fighting to see how it works.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Pinkamena said:
Mhm, I noticed that too. I'm willing to let it cautiously slide, perhaps it makes sense somehow in the movie. Gonna have to wait for some fighting to see how it works.
Personally, I'm rather hoping that the guard gets cut off...but then again I'm also hoping that Abrams will let someone have a cortosis armguard that will make a lightsaber short out...*starts visualizing a lightsaber duel where half the battle is trying to disable the enemy's weapon*

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Eh, it looks alright.

The CGI looks a lot cleaner, and it's decent trailer. I'm more concerned about the story characters than anything else really.

Episodes I-III kinda soured the franchise for me, and yes, I'm still bitter. :p

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Looks like the same, overly produced, overly processed, shit the J.J. Abrams always puts out; albeit with less lens-flare.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Why the fuck does every important thing in the Star Wars universe happen on Tatooine, the most visually boring of all planets? We had to sit through enough of these desert planets in the goddamn prequels, how about some originality?

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
Why the fuck does every important thing in the Star Wars universe happen on Tatooine, the most visually boring of all planets? We had to sit through enough of these desert planets in the goddamn prequels, how about some originality?
Yeah I'm with you there, fuck Tattooine. That planet sucks ass. But hey, its not like theres a whole universe of planets to set it in right?.....

Im decently excited for the film I guess, I watched all the films growing up but I was never a massive fan of the series. I am glad though that theyre starting from zero rather than trying to work with all the Expanded Universe nonsense. The trailer looks good, not much else to say at this point

Stephen St.

May 16, 2012
norwegian goose said:
You know what it doesn't have? Anything original.
I know it's a 100% studio project so obviously no originality is allowed, but this is too blatant even for Disney. Must hit every recognizable imagery from the trilogy.
I second this. The Trailer doesn't look bad, as in it's not offensive, but it's also unexciting. There wasn't a single "I wonder what this is" or "hey that looks cool" moment for me - in a Teaser-Trailer, that's bad. Am I to believe that they have nothing interesting to show to us apart from the new lightsaber?

Say what you will about George Lucas, but his films were not lacking im imagination. The prequels fail as stories, but they had a number of cool ideas. Compare a podracer to the box-bike in this trailer.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
that light saber makes perfect sense if the "cross guard" functions as a sort of plasma blow off valve.
here's hoping the story involves a force wanna-be getting his hands on forbidden sith teachings and constructing himself a primitive saber and teaching himself the ways of the force.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
They seem to have gone the arguably safer route of "Trailer gives nothing away" rather than take the chance and give a hint as to what it might actually be about. The latter would have either got people excited or had them condemning it before its even released. Having said that, at least people would have been talking.

What is there to talk about here?

"Horray, it's Tatooine - the most boring looking of planets"
"Oh look, Storm Troopers. I remember them"
"What kinda football robot is that?"
"Does that lightsaber actually have a handguard?"

Done

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
There is something about the lighting in this that bothers me too. I've tested the settings on my computer. Does it look natural to everyone else?

norwegian goose said:
Ultra Snip
You're on fire mate. These thrashings of yours are far more entertaining than these pathetic teasers/trailers.

CitizenM

Oct 16, 2014
Watching the teaser again today I became consciously aware of something I only saw subconsciously the first time I watched the teaser yesterday: the flight of the Millenium Falcon. One of the things that really registered with me about the teaser was that fantastic flight sequence at the end. On a repeat look today I can see now why I liked it so much: they really nailed the sense of motion and inertia of the Millenium Falcon in flight from the original trilogy. The way the camera would often dip and pitch to enhance the climb or dive visuals of the Falcon. The way the Falcon often spins and flips during maneuvers. Just the overall wonderous "ride" you feel as an audience watching the Falcon soar through the air. Yeah, that really worked well.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Okay, now I'm interested. I don't really have any issues with a lightsaber broadsword other than the laser hilt - which feels... weird to me.

My problem with the Star Wars stories is that it generally feels like the same thing over and over again with technology that never seems to advance. It's not just me, right, I'm not the only one who's seen this?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Yeah but if the hand guard isn't purely lightsaber then what's stopping another lightsaber just cutting straight through the metal part?
Plot contrivance? The Force? Ponies?

Asita said:
The part where such a guard is most needed is monopolized by the emitters themselves. If the metal they're comprised of actually can block a lightsaber, the plasma they emit is unneeded.
I have this fantasy where it's made out of cortosis, which shuts off lightsaber blades. And then someone asks "well, why not make the whole hilt out of that?" And the Sith just stares. It's a pretty lame fantasy, but then, it's a pretty lame sword.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Eh, it looks alright.

The CGI looks a lot cleaner, and it's decent trailer. I'm more concerned about the story characters than anything else really.

Episodes I-III kinda soured the franchise for me, and yes, I'm still bitter. :p
Unfortunately, a teaser like this will almost certainly not give you character info.

Possibly the worst part is that this is supposed to get us excited, and about the only things that seem to be getting people's attention (aside, of course, from mocking/defending the lightcrossguard) are "OOH! X-WING!" and "OOH! MILLENNIUM FALCON!" So basically, nostalgia boner.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
BloatedGuppy said:
Outside of loss of life, loss of hand/arm is literally the ONLY lightsaber related injury. Star Wars films feature more de-limbings per hour than your average Dead Space play through.
This is the best thing I've read in a while and it's made my day at work so much better hahahaha.

OT: I'm kind of fan-boying out over the trailer to be honest. I've been letting myself get optimistic for awhile now and I think the effects look great and I'm digging that lightsaber more than a lot of people it seems. It's obviously a flaming cross metaphor and I just like the idea of a longsword lightsaber. It would probably necessitate a much more deliberate, less flowing style similar to medieval knights.