Star Wars VII trailer is out!

angryscotsman93

Dec 27, 2008
erttheking said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Can't watch the trailer just yet, but can someone tell me if it uses John Williams music, or generic Hans Zimmer Inception BWAAAHs.
The classic Star Wars theme is in there intact. So at least it gets that right.

OT: This tells us nothing about the plot, other than vague bullshit is coming. Really all we can focus on are the designs.

Like: X-wing (Hardly changed at all. Good.) Millennium Falcon (Just looks decent)

Dislike: Storm Trooper outfits and their guns (Abrams REALLY wants to make everything look like it was produced by Apple doesn't he?) The speeder (Why is that lady driving a box?)

Undecided: That lightsaber (Kinda weird, but I don't dislike it. Don't like it either. Maybe I'll grow to hate it or maybe it'll grow on me. We'll see.)
I remember reading that the speeder is supposed to be a utility transport model, but even then, they could've had a way better-looking design. Still, I like the lightsaber- the crossguard could come in handy, both on defense and offense, if you're aggressive enough. Plus, seeing the X-Wings skimming the water at high speed was awesome.

angryscotsman93

Dec 27, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Asita said:
The part where such a guard is most needed is monopolized by the emitters themselves. If the metal they're comprised of actually can block a lightsaber, the plasma they emit is unneeded.
I have this fantasy where it's made out of cortosis, which shuts off lightsaber blades. And then someone asks "well, why not make the whole hilt out of that?" And the Sith just stares. It's a pretty lame fantasy, but then, it's a pretty lame sword.
I'd imagine that the whole thing is, indeed, made of lightsaber-resistant materials. I mean, shit- if you're making a lightsaber, and the primary weapon you'll be fighting against is lightsabers, it kind of makes sense to make your damn lightsaber impervious to everyone else's lightsabers! Then again, by the same logic, you could have easily just make a cross-guard out of cortosis.

Shit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
angryscotsman93 said:
I'd imagine that the whole thing is, indeed, made of lightsaber-resistant materials. I mean, shit- if you're making a lightsaber, and the primary weapon you'll be fighting against is lightsabers, it kind of makes sense to make your damn lightsaber impervious to everyone else's lightsabers! Then again, by the same logic, you could have easily just make a cross-guard out of cortosis.

Shit.
Well, Maul's double saber was cut in half. I mean, it's possible that the dead center is its one weak point, but that seems like a bad idea. if you can make a lightsaber-proof housing and make a double-sized blade, it would seem to make more sense to be able to use it as an additional blocking surface.

I don't think there are other examples of a saber being damaged in the movies, but I think that's enough.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Can't really decide on such a small snippet of scenes, all without seeing how crusty and awkward the old stars look nowadays.

And no to the Beckham-Bot.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Eh, it looks alright.

The CGI looks a lot cleaner, and it's decent trailer. I'm more concerned about the story characters than anything else really.

Episodes I-III kinda soured the franchise for me, and yes, I'm still bitter. :p
Unfortunately, a teaser like this will almost certainly not give you character info.

Possibly the worst part is that this is supposed to get us excited, and about the only things that seem to be getting people's attention (aside, of course, from mocking/defending the lightcrossguard) are "OOH! X-WING!" and "OOH! MILLENNIUM FALCON!" So basically, nostalgia boner.
That's why I'm really not impressed.

It just shows a whole bunch of cool nostalgia and nothing with context. Is Han Solo flying it? Is Luke Skywalker fighting down on the ground with that chick on the bike? Context? A clue? Bueller?

I do dig that light sabre design though. :D

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That's why I'm really not impressed.

It just shows a whole bunch of cool nostalgia and nothing with context. Is Han Solo flying it? Is Luke Skywalker fighting down on the ground with that chick on the bike? Context? A clue? Bueller?
Yeah, which is why my response was mostly just "kinda neat."

I do dig that light sabre design though. :D
You are dead to me!

:p

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
You guys are really grinding my gears ¬_¬

This trailer is obviously intended to say "Oooh btw guys, this is still happening" The end shot of the Falcon, along with the music screams that.

It isn't meant to wow you, shock you, or give you any info, it is here to say "Guess who is motherfucking back bitches"!!!

But you know what? It did wow me, i got a shiver down my spine when i saw the X-wings, and when i saw the Falcon, the little roley droid made me giggle, and the new Lightsaber, (while not practical, but then, what Lightsaber IS practical? Darth Mauls double blade was highly criticized, but then shockingly it was loved to death just like the Single Blade) i think is pretty cool, if the crossgaurds can be turned on and off during battle for better deflection and attacks i am all for it.

So much butt hurt from a 1 minute odd trailer. Some of this stuff might not even be used in the final film. And that Saber could easily get a redesign.

CitizenM

Oct 16, 2014
arc1991 said:
So much butt hurt from a 1 minute odd trailer. Some of this stuff might not even be used in the final film. And that Saber could easily get a redesign.
Agreed. At the risk of wallowing on a subject about the teaser that is already getting WAY too much attention by the hardcore science analyst wannabes, I do think the actual function of that lightsaber is more interesting than discussing the damned blade guard. The lightsaber looks really rough. Almost like fire in some respects. And there are strange electrical discharges cascading along the "blade". Is it...

A NEW type of lightsaber?
A very OLD type of lightsaber?
A malfunctioning lightsaber?
An improperly built lightsaber?

I think because the trailer worked for me I'm much more interested in daydreaming about what this weapon could be than nitpicking. I just hope the reason is more interesting than what I can imagine on my own.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
The lightsaber looks like a dual crossguard style with a Mestare crystal. Which would be a little odd, considering that most Sith use synthetic crystals and Mestare crystals are natural.

In any case, the lightsaber really isn't that strange if you delve into the EU at all. There are much stranger running around.
If I ever see a light whip in any movie or game, I'll choke something.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
LetalisK said:
Kopikatsu said:
The lightsaber looks like a dual crossguard style with a Mestare crystal. Which would be a little odd, considering that most Sith use synthetic crystals and Mestare crystals are natural.

In any case, the lightsaber really isn't that strange if you delve into the EU at all. There are much stranger running around.
If I ever see a light whip in any movie or game, I'll choke something.
I always like the idea of a curved blade, like a scimitar. Dual wielding them bitches would be bad ass xD

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
Can anyone explain to me why the stormtrooper is black? I mean this in a not racist way, but from what i remember arent they suppose to all be like clones of some brown guy or something? Or am i just totally wrong? Sorry if this came off the wrong way, i was just curious, and don't want to get lambasted. I tried googling but found conflicting information.

I suppose he could also be using the stormtrooper outfit as a disguise.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Rosiv said:
Can anyone explain to me why the stormtrooper is black? I mean this in a not racist way, but from what i remember arent they suppose to all be like clones of some brown guy or something? Or am i just totally wrong? Sorry if this came off the wrong way, i was just curious, and don't want to get lambasted. I tried googling but found conflicting information.

I suppose he could also be using the stormtrooper outfit as a disguise.
Clone Troopers were clones of Jango Fett. They were also the original Stormtroopers, but the Empire phased them out as they got older. Currently, Stormtroopers are about 50/50 in terms of 'natural' humans and clones, but the clones are of other Stormtroopers and not of Jango Fett, so they're of much lower... quality.

Basically, there's nothing overly odd about a black Stormtrooper.