StarCraft 2 Pro Match Fixers Arrested And Banned For Life

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
StarCraft 2 Pro Match Fixers Arrested And Banned For Life

Two professional StarCraft 2 players have been implicated in a match fixing scheme with ties extending to organized crime.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/cheating>Dealing with cheaters is frustrating enough for casual games, but once you enter the pro gaming circuit it's at a whole new level. Just look at Prime, a Korean <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/starcraft>StarCraft 2 team where coach Gerrard and team member YoDa were banned for life due to their involvement with match fixes and illegal betting moves. And they're only part of an elaborate fixing scheme with ties to an eSports journalist and two former gangsters.

The fixes took place on games between January and June, including GSL Season 1 and SKT Proleague Season 1. During this period, Gerrard ordered YoDa to purposely lose matches to create fixed bets. In one example, Gerrard allegedly received 10,000,000 Korean Won (roughly $8,900 American) for YoDa to lose a GSL match. Gerrard also contacted player BBoongBBoong about fixing a SKT Proleague match, for which he received 5,000,000 KRW (or $4,450 US).

In total, betters implicated in the scandal earned 40,000,000 KRW ($35,000) while brokers pulled in 30,000,000 KRW ($26,000).

The Changwon Regional Prosecutor's Office and Korean e-Sports Association eventually realized YoDa purposely lost four matches, receiving $26,000 as compensation. "The association independently learned that Gerrard and YoDa were involved illegal betting from an anonymous source seeking a reward," the association said in a statement. "While investigating the case internally, we learned that the Prosecutor's office had made arrests and were holding an investigation, and we have been receiving legal advice since then."

Yes, arrests. As it turns out, roughly 10 people have been implicated in this particular scheme. Most notably, Gerrard's payments were provided by eSports journalist Seong Jun-mo and two ex-gangsters. According to <a href=http://www.fomos.kr/esports/news_view?lurl=%2Fesports%2Fnews_list%3Fnews_cate_id%3D1&entry_id=15498Fomos, Gerrard was reportedly in considerable debt, and may have become involved with the scheme to alleviate those concerns.

Whatever legal trouble Gerrard and YoDa face now, they'll still have to change careers. "We plan to ban Gerrard (Prime head coach) and YoDa for life and permanently suspend their licenses," the association said. Gerrard also runs a League of Legends team, which is being run under the association to prevent operational delays.

Source: PC Gamer

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
Corey Schaff said:
This is a bad mar on E-sports; hopefully what is being done dissuades future events like this. Something like this can be a serious blow to confidence in the scene's legitimacy.
Don't think so. Match setting occurs in all sports. If anything, being big enough for this to happen means it's a real sport now.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
This is Korea we're taking about! Cheating at Starcraft is practically treason.
They'll be lucky to just be executed for this heinous, despicable, genocidal crime.
I mean how many Terran families did they let die?!

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Reminds of the Black Sox Scandal from baseball.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Black_Sox_Scandal

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
This is great for eSports. Gambling scandals and criminal underworld involvement are crucial pieces to legitimizing them in terms of being just like other professional sports. Between this and the juicing, we're almost there!

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Conrad Zimmerman said:
This is great for eSports. Gambling scandals and criminal underworld involvement are crucial pieces to legitimizing them in terms of being just like other professional sports. Between this and the juicing, we're almost there!
Wouldn't ingesting stuff like Gamer Grub during matches count as juicing?

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Conrad Zimmerman said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Xeorm said:
If anything, being big enough for this to happen means it's a real sport now.
That was my sentiment exactly. You know a sport is big-time when organized crime gets its hooks into it!
By that reckoning it was "legitimate" and "big-time" as of five years ago, because that was when the Brood War "great matchfixing scandal" happened. The BW scandal involved eleven players, including sAviOr, a BW bonjwa; it was on a much more significant scale.

On the subject of this one...its desperately sad really. I was reading MC's comments about it earlier and you can just feel how disappointed and upset he is with the way YoDa lied to his face about not being involved.

This is almost certainly the death of Prime. Their only players left were YoDa and B4, both of them being banned and the coach being banned will mean the end of the line for a storied and historic team. :(

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Lightspeaker said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Xeorm said:
That was my sentiment exactly. You know a sport is big-time when organized crime gets its hooks into it!
By that reckoning it was "legitimate" and "big-time" as of five years ago, because that was when the Brood War "great matchfixing scandal" happened. The BW scandal involved eleven players, including sAviOr, a BW bonjwa; it was on a much more significant scale.
I'd assume it being a legitimate sport is slightly more than just being involved in mass gambling, but that people know about it, care about it and we're having this discussion. I remember reading about the Brood Wars scandal. I also remember shrugging along with the rest of the internet and saying "it's just starcraft, who cares".

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
JSoup said:
Lightspeaker said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Xeorm said:
I'd assume it being a legitimate sport is slightly more than just being involved in mass gambling, but that people know about it, care about it and we're having this discussion. I remember reading about the Brood Wars scandal. I also remember shrugging along with the rest of the internet and saying "it's just starcraft, who cares".
I'm just pointing out there's been way, way worse scandals than this.

Although personally I care more about this one. YoDa is a former IM player. That hurts.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
And they say pro gaming isn't a real sport. It has real mob ties and everything!