StarCraft II Will Have Monthly Fees, But Only In Russia

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Monocle Man said:
John Funk said:
Simalacrum said:
So, wait, theres no option for Russian players to buy a more expensive non-sucsciption based version?

Giving people the choice to may monthly and pay cheaper is one thing... giving people that as the only choice when there are other ways available is another.
No, there is. You buy the game and then immediately upgrade for about 30 Euros (which was the price listed on IncGamers, I don't know what that translates into in Rubles).
What if they are unable to pay online? Because of a lack of creditcards, lack of Paypal support in Russia or similar?
They'd be left in the very cold if they can't buy the complete game from the store, aren't they?
Obviously they would be a minority, but the point stands.
I honestly don't know. It's entirely possible that they WILL be able to upgrade from a retail box; I don't know what Blizzard has planned.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
John Funk said:
redmarine said:
Heard about this last week. It's an awesome idea actually.

Anyhow, I read that this wasn't due to Blizzard but some Russian request. Got that info from a poster on TeamLiquid but not sure of its validity.
Oh? If you could get me a source on that it'd be interesting.
Sure. Made a copy of the post but I don't have the link to it. I'll see if I can find the source again.

Blue just confirmed that it is for Russia only, all other countries will be able to play it for no fee, this is something that Russia has decided upon and has nothing to do with Blizzard.

source.... http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=24262386737&sid=5010&pageNo=2

Guess I was wrong, this was, indeed Legit.

EDIT:uhh... apparently Russian player can upgrade their account to a full EU account and then they won't have to pay any more monthly fees, wtf?
However, it was just a statement made by a poster. I wasn't able to verify the claim.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
John Funk said:
Thanks for the clarification. Which is a bit more than the original box price... assuming you wanted to upgrade to the full version off the bat, then, there doesn't seem to be any reason to go with the 999 ruble version.
Just to clarify: since there are no monthly fees for the Battle.net thingy in other countries of the world, how much will the game cost for you?
Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a fair game but the Polish freaked out and Blizzard had to "comfort" (for the lack of a better word) them.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Something tells me that everyone will pirate it anyway. Such is mentality 'round here. And i don't get why a game must cost $60 in any part of the world, besides the fact that Actidouchebags are publishing it. It may have been costly to produce, but can't Blizzard sell games at cheaper prices, with them having WoW as a steady source of income and all?

Mackheath said:
Well, what are the odds that the BlizzCon 2010 plane crashes after this?
I see what you did there. Real funny, hurr durr.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
JourneyThroughHell said:
John Funk said:
Thanks for the clarification. Which is a bit more than the original box price... assuming you wanted to upgrade to the full version off the bat, then, there doesn't seem to be any reason to go with the 999 ruble version.
Just to clarify: since there are no monthly fees for the Battle.net thingy in other countries of the world, how much will the game cost for you?
Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a fair game but the Polish freaked out and Blizzard had to "comfort" (for the lack of a better word) them.
The game will cost $60 here in the States.

Kollega said:
Something tells me that everyone will pirate it anyway. Such is mentality 'round here. And i don't get why a game must cost $60, besides the fact that Actidouchebags are publishing it. It may have been costly to produce, but can't Blizzard sell games at cheaper prices, with them having WoW as a steady source of income and all?

Mackheath said:
Well, what are the odds that the BlizzCon 2010 plane crashes after this?
I see what you did there. Real funny, hurr durr.
Activision has nothing to do with the $60 price; it's just what Blizzard sells its games at (see: WC3, Diablo 2).

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
John Funk said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
John Funk said:
The game will cost $60 here in the States.
Fair game, then.
And I wanted to rage on Blizzard.
Ehh. Buzzkill))).

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
On the positive side, it could be spun as a "pay some and pay the rest in 4/12 months" system. I doubt they'll get anywhere with this, however.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
So you buy it for the equivalent of about $15-$18, and then you can upgrade for the equivalent about $30 or play monthly for the equivalent of about $4.00.

Sounds fair enough. Even if someone buys the full DVD case and the lifetime subscription, she or he will still be paying about the same as everyone else around the world.

Radu889

Dec 14, 2007
YES, THANK YOU GOD FOR GETTING RID OF RUSSIAN PLAYERS IN MY MULTIPLAYER GAMES.

Seriously, it's a relief. Everytime I play any online game I get paired up with a russian who doesn't speak english and will just go out and do his own thing. In a co-op game... like L4D.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Radu889 said:

Seriously, it's a relief. Everytime I play any online game I get paired up with a russian who doesn't speak english and will just go out and do his own thing.
Yeah and also they play badly because they're all drunk on vodka, and they stop gathering minerals after a while because they're commies and want to leave enough minerals for other players.
Don't stereotype, please. Plenty of russian players know English, and plenty of americans ignore appeals for strategy and just do their own thing.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
warcraft 3 wasnt 60 bucks, it was 50 like any decent pc title. damn activision for the stupid "oh I wanna make as much money off everything, Im gonna jack up the prices to fuck with ppl"

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
John Funk said:
($34.36, £22.38 or ?25.41 - approximately half the price of the regular European version)
Wait, any news on the UK pricing?

Because if £22 is half price- £45! that's ridiculous.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
I'm just happy I don't have to endure endless Russian spamming in game chats like every single other game's European server.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
I'd like to see this applied to other games, and regions. I have a bunch of games I wouldn't have minded some discount on for not having the multiplayer part. Far Cry 2 for example, never touched the multiplayer. Crysis, Red Faction Guerilla, GTA IV. Yes, I think I support Blizzard's new model.

Also, where's the "In mother Russia" joke?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sebenko said:
John Funk said:
($34.36, £22.38 or ?25.41 - approximately half the price of the regular European version)
Wait, any news on the UK pricing?

Because if £22 is half price- £45! that's ridiculous.
A quick check of GAME shows £39.99 for the usual version.

Worgen said:
warcraft 3 wasnt 60 bucks, it was 50 like any decent pc title. damn activision for the stupid "oh I wanna make as much money off everything, Im gonna jack up the prices to fuck with ppl"
WarCraft III [http://web.archive.org/web/20010204015800/www.blizzard.com/press/000717.shtml] were both $60 at release, with some retailers selling WC3 at $55.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
ark123 said:
Radu889 said:

Seriously, it's a relief. Everytime I play any online game I get paired up with a russian who doesn't speak english and will just go out and do his own thing.
Yeah and also they play badly because they're all drunk on vodka, and they stop gathering minerals after a while because they're commies and want to leave enough minerals for other players.
Don't stereotype, please. Plenty of russian players know English, and plenty of americans ignore appeals for strategy and just do their own thing.
listen what the wise man says, dont be stereotypic

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
HaraDaya said:
Also, where's the "In mother Russia" joke?
In mother Russia racial stereotype joke makes YOU.

On-topic: On paper this plan actually sounds rather ingenius. I approve.