StarCraft Universe MORPG Reaches Kickstarter Goal

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
StarCraft Universe MORPG Reaches Kickstarter Goal

<youtube=vtDm2zLP1UU>​
The fan-made free-to-play mod based on StarCraft II -- with Blizzard's permission -- will open its beta later this year at the earliest.

A mod set in the StarCraft universe is going to become a reality. StarCraft Universe, with Blizzard's blessings, looked to Kickstarter for fundraising for the multi-player online RPG and collected enough money to meet its goal on time. The funding will close tomorrow at 8:46 pm EDT.

The $80,000 will pay for an open beta for the mod, which should be available later this year or early next year. The next stretch goal is at $100,000 and includes the Zerg character class.

StarCraft Universe tells an alternate story where the ending of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty has a grim conclusion in which the protoss are defeated. "In this reality, what would the survivors of these shattered worlds do? StarCraft Universe tells this story," the project's Kickstarter page says.

The objective of the game is to reimagine the real-time shooter StarCraft from a third-person RPG view. Players will be challenged to master a wide variety of missions and raiding experiences. The focus of the game is on having a team of players and creating characters, which they use to battle enemy forces and powerful bosses. The mod will have custom model assets, a variety of classes, customizable weapons, single and multiplayer experiences, a vehicle system, item crafting, an ability system, an original soundtrack, and voiced cutscenes.

To play the mod, those interested need to have a battle.net account and already have StarCraft II or the free StarCraft II: Starter Edition.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/747939120/starcraft-universe?ref=category]

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
roseofbattle said:
The objective of the game is to reimagine the real-time shooter StarCraft from a third-person RPG view.
Uh, don't you mean "Real-time STRATEGY"?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
And people say that MMOs are not worth making these days....Personally, I want to know what is Activision's cut is in all this because they won't let shit fly if there's money to be made in this.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
mad825 said:
And people say that MMOs are not worth making these days....Personally, I want to know what is Activision's cut is in all this because they won't let shit fly if there's money to be made in this.
Or because a guy is making an MMO that can be accessed and played with the Starter Edition (for free) of the game using their software while profiting from it via kickstarter.

Probably not though, right?

bond, james bond

thanks captcha.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Ferisar said:
mad825 said:
Or because a guy is making an MMO that can be accessed and played with the Starter Edition (for free) of the game using their software while profiting from it via kickstarter.

bond, james bond

thanks captcha.
It's still their intellectual property which means they can shut it down at any point, say it does well and they want to make a StarCraft MMO.

Aussie502

Apr 19, 2011
Halyah said:
Wait... if it follows the protoss defeat shown in SC2:WoL, which is the implication I got out of the article, then there wouldn't be anyone left alive to play as no? I thought that dark entity dude went genocide on all life or something. I guess I need to brush up on what happened. >.>
The game (at least the intro) is set on a hidden underground base on the planet Tarsonis. Eventually the Hybrid find the facility and you have to escape.

You're right that pretty much everyone is dead though.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Just a note for those who are wondering if Blizz will put the kibosh on this, they've already sanctioned its development so no worries on that front.
On that note, looking forward to what this mod will bring about... Maybe Blizz will be impressed and want to help develop it more.

Aussie502

Apr 19, 2011
Halyah said:
That doesn't really sound like a good premise for a playable setting to me unless the UED comes back and brings along all the doomsday weaponry that Metzen claims it's supposed to have(unlike the koprulu sector terran factions, earth had zero interruptions in its technological developments so it's an unknown amount of decades/centuries ahead. Just compare todays tech with say.... 1930s-1940s to get an idea for how far ahead they'd be). That's the only faction I know that could still be around given its... 10000 light years or something away. If I don't misremember the number anyway...
The game is a follow-on from the prophecy foreseen by Zeratul mid way through WoL. In that universe, all life in the galaxy was consumed, including the UED on Earth.

The setting is actually pretty good. Unlike most MMOs where you feel like you have very little impact on the overall story, it's done very well in SC:U. The doomsday plot makes you feel like your actions matter. This is all being judged by the 40 minute single player intro though, we'll see how it goes when multiplayer is launched.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm glad they actually reached the kickstarter goal.

I played a smaller version of this in StarCraft 2 custom maps and found it quite interesting. I always wished Blizzard would of gone and made a high quality MMORPG based on the StarCraft universe like they did with Warcraft, but I'm afraid that will never happen.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Halyah said:
Aussie502 said:
The game is a follow-on from the prophecy foreseen by Zeratul mid way through WoL. In that universe, all life in the galaxy was consumed, including the UED on Earth.

The setting is actually pretty good. Unlike most MMOs where you feel like you have very little impact on the overall story, it's done very well in SC:U. The doomsday plot makes you feel like your actions matter. This is all being judged by the 40 minute single player intro though, we'll see how it goes when multiplayer is launched.
My problem with that is that nothing you do amounts to anything in the end though. You have nothing to oppose the enemy with on a scale large enough to secure a victory. All you can hope to do is last another day with no hope of a better tomorrow. That just makes me feel less interested in it since without hope, what is the point? I'm sure it's well done mind you(granted next to blizzards writing, pretty much anything will look better unless its twilight or matt ward if my friends who like warhammer is anything to go by). I'm not gonna dispute that one. It just feels like it lacks that something required to invest in it.
Not necessarily. Given that the "Prophecy" was fulfilled, anything could technically happen. I mean, at the base-level, yeah, nothing you can do because everything is dead. It really depends how far along with the potential doomsday conclusion they stuck with, because in that one literally everything is dead forever(ever), because reasons.

If it's like... Everything is dead, and you survived with x amount of people hidden in y places that Racist Sound (Dark Voice) didn't check for z reason, then... You could potentially stumble into Prophecy U in which after doomsday you activate Noah's Arc and kill the Shady Whisperer with [fetch-collectible-quest](Jesus Power). This would have to follow the idea that the Obscured Murmur decided not to kill you again for reason Z2

Actually, you're right, it's a shit setting. Nevermind.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
bringer of illumination said:
I don't understand what they need all that money for.

Far more extensive modding projects than this have been undertaken, with no compensation what so ever, why should these people get almost a hundred grand showed in their pockets?
Because they want to make a living out of it and put all their time into it and not just their free time?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Halyah said:
Aussie502 said:

My problem with that is that nothing you do amounts to anything in the end though. You have nothing to oppose the enemy with on a scale large enough to secure a victory. All you can hope to do is last another day with no hope of a better tomorrow. That just makes me feel less interested in it since without hope, what is the point? I'm sure it's well done mind you(granted next to blizzards writing, pretty much anything will look better unless its twilight or matt ward if my friends who like warhammer is anything to go by). I'm not gonna dispute that one. It just feels like it lacks that something required to invest in it.
A story doesn't need to be about a chosen few clutching hope and setting the universe to rights to be good, day to day struggles of whatever is left can be compelling in their own rights. The relationships and politics, the search for and management of resources and trying to set up a safe community can all provide a good setting.
Kyrdra said:
I don't understand what they need all that money for.

Far more extensive modding projects than this have been undertaken, with no compensation what so ever, why should these people get almost a hundred grand showed in their pockets?
Because they want to make a living out of it and put all their time into it and not just their free time?
I want to be paid for doing my hobbies too.

That doesn't mean I should
Give one good reason why they shouldn't, people getting angry and butt hurt about not making a living from make mods only have themselves to blame. They should either try and get paid themselves or do something else if they begrudge others being able to make a living doing the same.

Plenty of people get paid to do hobbies that others do for its own value.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ferisar said:

That still doesn't explain anything. This is a company that took people to court just because they used a memory hacker in single player game.

Something smells fishy, I would go as far to say that this might be a front to expand the game into a fully functional MMO business if successful.