Starhawk Review

WMDogma

New member
Jul 28, 2009
1,374
0
0
Starhawk Review

Great multiplayer action with a shoddy single player story.

Read Full Article
 

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
1,942
0
0
I feel like this whole "great multi, bad single" is somewhat of an epidemic in modern gaming. Too many games feel the need to pander to the multiplayer crowd, simply because it's really easy to make 3 levels, 5 classes and let people endlessly play them and call it a full "game."

What about people who aren't really into multiplayer? What do we get?
 

Lord Draenor

New member
Sep 20, 2010
112
0
0
Back to Battlezone I guess. Too bad, first person builder/shooter is such an interesting concept
 

GonzoGamer

New member
Apr 9, 2008
7,063
0
0
I kind of expected as such considering that Warhawk was only multiplayer. It's unfortunate that renters and borrowers wont get to play the most compelling part of the game because of the online pass. It'll probably cost them more sales than it'll make for them.

Not to mention the fact that if a used purchaser isn't impressed with the SP campaign, how likely are they to shell out $10 for more.
 

ThunderCavalier

New member
Nov 21, 2009
1,475
0
0
tehweave said:
I feel like this whole "great multi, bad single" is somewhat of an epidemic in modern gaming. Too many games feel the need to pander to the multiplayer crowd, simply because it's really easy to make 3 levels, 5 classes and let people endlessly play them and call it a full "game."

What about people who aren't really into multiplayer? What do we get?
JRPGs.

*looks at current JRPG market*

nvm, we get nothing.
 

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
149
0
0
Is it just me, or does this game look one heck of a lot like Freelancer? (a game near and dear to my heart)
 

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,507
0
1
Well considering Starhawk is a spiritual successor to Warhawk, that had fantastic multiplayer only and had no story at all, it seems they just added a SP mode and a story in a half assed attempt to pad the game out.
 

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
5,237
0
0
The guy at the end--I take it he's from the same Space Australia as Jace from Dragonball Z (abridged), right? Or did we only let ridiculously hilariously stereotyped accents of people colonize things?

tehweave said:
I feel like this whole "great multi, bad single" is somewhat of an epidemic in modern gaming. Too many games feel the need to pander to the multiplayer crowd, simply because it's really easy to make 3 levels, 5 classes and let people endlessly play them and call it a full "game."

What about people who aren't really into multiplayer? What do we get?
To be fair, this is/was the sequel to a solely multiplayer game, so the single player is the one tacked on here.
 

Cry Wolf

New member
Oct 13, 2010
327
0
0
Man, the first time the Escapist reviews has brought me something intriguing since War in the North and it's PS3 only. =(
 

DirtyJunkieScum

New member
Feb 5, 2012
308
0
0
tehweave said:
I feel like this whole "great multi, bad single" is somewhat of an epidemic in modern gaming. Too many games feel the need to pander to the multiplayer crowd, simply because it's really easy to make 3 levels, 5 classes and let people endlessly play them and call it a full "game."

What about people who aren't really into multiplayer? What do we get?
*Sad Nod* Yeah, lack of decent single player in FPS games has been largely responsible for the massive drop in interest I've had in playing games. That and the fact that my PC is 6 years old... and I'm getting too old for this shit... but yeah pity about the story, the description of the game and it's theme really piqued my interest.

EDIT PS3 Huh? Well, couldn't have played it anyway then.
 

deathbydeath

New member
Jun 28, 2010
1,363
0
0
That was a good purchase recommendation, now where's the review? How do the new mechanics effect the core shooting? Does the map design facilitate the combat well? Is the single-player campaign lackluster simply because of the story? You say the game is average, but why is it so?

This isn't bad, but it's too short and doesn't have enough details about why the game is good/bad to be anything more than a purchase recommendation.
 

Balmong7

New member
Apr 9, 2010
121
0
0
deathbydeath said:
That was a good purchase recommendation, now where's the review? How do the new mechanics effect the core shooting? Does the map design facilitate the combat well? Is the single-player campaign lackluster simply because of the story? You say the game is average, but why is it so?

This isn't bad, but it's too short and doesn't have enough details about why the game is good/bad to be anything more than a purchase recommendation.
I will answer your questions. The mechanics work perfectly with the design of the game, and the story is the only problem with single player. I have never been huge with online games, but the single player is replayable simply because of the tower building mechanic that can change your playthrough everytime and on every difficulty.

The mechanics are actually remarkably well done. The story is only bad because there is no characterization to them, it is a very well fleshed out world, but they don't give you any chracters to actully care about. This just makes the story look very standard and not thought out.

Also I think the final boss fight in story may have been my favorite final boss fight of all time.

The game is for sure worth buying even if you don't play a lot of online, it does have splitscreen multiplayer.
 

deathbydeath

New member
Jun 28, 2010
1,363
0
0
Balmong7 said:
deathbydeath said:
That was a good purchase recommendation, now where's the review? How do the new mechanics effect the core shooting? Does the map design facilitate the combat well? Is the single-player campaign lackluster simply because of the story? You say the game is average, but why is it so?

This isn't bad, but it's too short and doesn't have enough details about why the game is good/bad to be anything more than a purchase recommendation.
I will answer your questions. The mechanics work perfectly with the design of the game, and the story is the only problem with single player. I have never been huge with online games, but the single player is replayable simply because of the tower building mechanic that can change your playthrough everytime and on every difficulty.

The mechanics are actually remarkably well done. The story is only bad because there is no characterization to them, it is a very well fleshed out world, but they don't give you any chracters to actully care about. This just makes the story look very standard and not thought out.

Also I think the final boss fight in story may have been my favorite final boss fight of all time.

The game is for sure worth buying even if you don't play a lot of online, it does have splitscreen multiplayer.
*applause*
 

JohnDoey

New member
Jun 30, 2009
416
0
0
The devs themselves said, yeah the single player is effectively a tutorial for multi also from playing the beta if you let the other team screw your defenses that bad you deserve it.