Starting Now, You Can Create Your Own Vault in Fallout 4's Vault-Tec Workshop

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Starting Now, You Can Create Your Own Vault in Fallout 4's Vault-Tec Workshop

It's time to start experimenting on your Vault dwellers in Fallout 4's new DLC.

If you always thought you could design a cooler Vault than Vault-Tec, you're finally going to get a chance to prove it. Today, Bethesda released the Vault-Tec Workshop DLC for Fallout 4.

You'll be able to build your very own Vault and decorate it using pre-war industrial kits including retro-nostalgic furniture, lighting, and art. You'll also be able run Vault-Tec approved experiments on your dwellers.

You can see just what to expect in the Vault-Tec Workshop by watching some Bethesda Game Studios folks stream the DLC in the video above.

If you own the Season Pass, the DLC should already be available for you. If not, you can pick it up for $4.99 on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Tried going back to Fallout 4 today after a long hiatus, (6-7 months) and I can't say I brought back any feelings. Still meh.

Also, I notice the DLCs are less story but more features and attempt at improving game play experience. Wish there were more and interesting stories in the game.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Parasondox said:
Tried going back to Fallout 4 today after a long hiatus, (6-7 months) and I can't say I brought back any feelings. Still meh.

Also, I notice the DLCs are less story but more features and attempt at improving game play experience. Wish there were more and interesting stories in the game.
We now have to pay Bethesda to fix their game apparently. Though from what I have read on the Steam forums, this DLC is causing quite a few headaches.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
Jesus, they couldn't even put a little charming window dressing on the DLC this time. I actually liked the small bit of effort they put in for the Mechanist, that at least had a sequence of quests and a slightly neat reveal. Far Harbor is another beast entirely, an actual worthwhile piece of DLC. The Vault one... It just feels weird. Go down, dig a hole, dig some more holes, build a vault at the behest of a ghoul. Eh. By the way. Remember Dr. Braun? Sure, do some experiments. Eh.

I hope Nuka World is more than a literal day at the theme park.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
While I was really excited for this DLC, so far I've been kinda 'eh' on it. I love most of the new stuff they thrown in and the couple of quests that come with it, but the experiments you can run you probably won't bother with after the quest to try them out, and there's still the ever persistent problem of building stuff 'just working'.

Still, I haven't had too much time to mess around, so maybe my opinion will improve when I get more time with it. At the very least, it's a lot better than Contraptions. And the Vault 88 area - fricken huge!

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I'll probably download this next time I hop on my Xbox One, but I doubt I'll get much milage out of it if I ever get around to actually playing it. These last two DLC seem to be more of a "hey, look at all this neat crap we managed to shove into the game!" instead of anything meaningful. Hell, the last one was more for people who either prefer to spend more time building a sorting system than actually sorting their items or really like Rube Goldberg machines. Nuka World still has some hope attached to it, but that's only if Bethesda hasn't said fuck it to doing anything really interesting that modders haven't already done a hundred times and with more effort than Bethesda.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
a warning.. i got to vault 88 with a level 7 character wearing power armour and started building but found that its worth waiting considering the monsters i found can one shot me even with power armour

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I feel like this is possibly the pettiest quibble imaginable, but, after watching bits and pieces of the video does anyone else think the lighting inside the vaults is absolutely awful? Considering you can alter the vault in realtime, it seems like a lack of proper lightmaping and reflection captures is the problem, which leaves everything with exactly the kind of hideous "first level design draft" look I was expecting from this.

Lighting through meshes, no indirect shadows (or even direct, in most cases), weird reflections on characters and the environment, the list goes on. Granted, unmodded Bethesda games always seem to have pretty flat lighting, but this is just a whole new level.

The funniest part was at the end of the video where they tried to pull some kind of plot twist on the audience by revealing the fact that the vault was actually above ground all along ... even though the glitchy sunlight shining through the meshes in certain areas already gave that fact away.

I know this might seem like nitpicking to some, but no matter how well made any of these custom settlements/vaults are I've never seen one that manages to shake off that slightly eerie look of being cobbled together in an extremely limited editor, and that's probably because they are. In fact, now that I've sat down to write out this post I feel like I've finally realized one of the reasons why I don't really care for the settlement building; everything has that ... I'm really having trouble properly articulating the kind of vibe I get from it, but the closest I can get is that it looks like a first draft, which will never be a finished level because the tools are too limited.

Mar 30, 2010
Still have to play this update, but I have a mad scientist type character for whom this DLC seems almost custom made. Looking forward to giving it a spin when I get off work!

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
Wasn't the story "oh crap, someone stole my kid"?

What happened to that?

Why is there all this pointless sandbox filler? Couldn't you maybe write a less garbage story for your pointless sandbox game? Why the huge disconnect between the game world you present, and the over-arching main plot?

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
So, they increased the SP price for this? *sigh*
Only Far Harbor seems worth it tbh.