Starting up a new game!

Ayrtonh

May 10, 2010
Okay, so I once opened a page here a while back about how to get into game design. I have already done several small projects by myself and managed to scrape by with the art and programming. I am an animator, better than before, so the art isnt much of a problem now, but heres the thing:
I recently decided to bring other people into my gaming business and I plan on registering a company soon. The only problem I have is how do I help everyone do their roles? My new artist is amazing and I have some basic concepts for her to work with but Im not entirely sure how I can get her art and use exactly that in the game. My programmer (Who is somewhat new to scripting so hes learning with me, though he is far ahead of me) is also going to need some direction as well so can all work. The problem is I dont really know how to get us all started. Im thinking that we need a couple Pre-production meetings to help start up, but how can I get us all to actually start? Talk is one thing, actually starting, and where to start is another. Any advice to a budding game designer?

Liviola

May 9, 2011
Wow, good on you! You're living my dream at the moment!

I'm not experienced as a professional, but I am right now creative directing / project managing most groupwork that I am doing at a design college. It has been a difficult learning process into growing into the "boss" role, but there are some tips I use for my own behaviour and it might help you:

- Working with other artists can be difficult, but try not to think of it as "how I can get her art and use exactly that". If you have a strong style that you would like her to follow, give her clear guidelines about style (show lots of reference images of the style you want, and make specific feedback about shape, colour, line, etc). Basically, you should nurture your artists to change and grow into what you want them to be. Don't get mad or completely suppress their styles just because it doesn't suit yet.. guide them into the right direction. It will take a bit of time and consultation.

- If you're still brainstorming some concepts, try to make it easy for other group members to contribute their ideas. Open up discussions, maybe use a whiteboard & markers to create mind maps -- give everyone the message that your ideas are not set in stone, and there is room for change. Lots of great ideas can come from people you least expect.

- Also, if it's difficult in the concept/pre-production stage, try to work out personal interests or what each person in the team is passionate about. For example, if you can find a theme / genre that you are all passionate about, it's much more fun to work on and extend design ideas from.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
first of all is. Do you have the story board? If so then start building the locations, have whoever is going to take care of that talking with the artist to get a better idea of what it's supposed to look like and at the same time have animators work on environment, NPC's, and player character animations for that area all the while have your scriptwriters working on everything that needs to be scripted for that area. Pre-production meetings are good but anymore than 2 is too many as these should happen as the project progresses new ideas can be brought up and it'll be easier to implement or deny them as you'll have a better feel for the actual work that's being done and what's yet to be done and more importantly how much work it could take to implement the new ideas.

ask away at any questions you might have, as a business consultant I think I can give you an honest answer

Ayrtonh

May 10, 2010
Thanks guys! You gave me a bit to think about and I also solved several of my problems. We have our meetings planned out, and also we have planned out how things will work :) My artists are doing great and we have some concepts. Everyone has their inputs going into the game and things seem to be working quite well for just a day :) We had one meeting, just to plan everything out, I guess it would be our first of two pre-production meetings. Everyone is open and working together to one idea and things are working well. The progress wont be amazingly fast and I know things still have to be done slowly, but we got started. I would still really like some more input for any advice starting up and continuing with the process of of all this. I hope for the best, and would love some help. Thanks to everyone who has and does!
EDIT: I need only one more thing, so Im off to make another thread!