BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Was not really an SOP; more of a Ratchet and Clank half hour. Things to note:

• Visuals and art design are amazing. No surprise there as Insomniac always delivered in that department.
  • Platforming seems to be a bit Prince of Perisa/DmC (2013) inspired with the wall running and hooking on to chains. I never played R&C games that much, so I can't comment on the platforming of past games. Rift Apart even does the chain mechanic where you grab grapple or hook points towards you (DmC). In this case, you can pull certain dimensions or objects towards yourself.
  • There is even more emphasis on mobility. Ratchet and Rivet both have a Trickster dash. Though not as fast Dante's dash, or even Miles' lightning dash.
  • The game is a stand alone sequel, so you don't have to know everything from the previous games.
I have nothing else to add, other than the game is going to be great.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

• Visuals and art design are amazing. No surprise there as Insomniac always delivered in that department.
  • Platforming seems to be a bit Prince of Perisa/DmC (2013) inspired with the wall running and hooking on to chains. I never plated R&C that much so, I can't comment on the platforming of past games. Rift Apart even does chain mechanic where you grab grapple or hook points towards you (DmC). In this case, you can pull certain dimensions or objects towards yourself.
  • There is even more emphasis on mobility. Ratchet and Rivet both have a Trickster dash. Though tot as fast Dante's dash, or even Miles' lightning dash.
  • The game is a stand alone sequel, so you don't have to know everything from the previous games.
You forgot Jennifer Hale playing Rivet. Put that on the box -- Jennifer Hale is in a game again WOOOOOO!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I actually missed this because I heard it would be mostly just a Ratchet and Clank showcase, which is fine, but I have no interest in mascot games really. Looks cool enough for people who dig this kind of thing though.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States

• Platforming seems to be a bit Prince of Perisa/DmC (2013) inspired with the wall running and hooking on to chains. I never played R&C games that much, so I can't comment on the platforming of past games. Rift Apart even does the chain mechanic where you grab grapple or hook points towards you (DmC). In this case, you can pull certain dimensions or objects towards yourself.
  • There is even more emphasis on mobility. Ratchet and Rivet both have a Trickster dash. Though not as fast Dante's dash, or even Miles' lightning dash.
That made it even better.

Ratchet getting all the love had me hyped and no I have to scoped out a family house and still their kids PS5 before the the summer.

Ooh I was fine letting the PS5 exist but now I really really get one.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
See, I've never played a Ratchet & Clank game before, but this looks great

Great to see the PS5's first year off to a great start already, between Demon's Souls, Returnal and this. Looks like Sony's exclusive train isn't slowing down for anyone.

Meanwhile, on Team Xbox

*cough*

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
See, I've never played a Ratchet & Clank game before, but this looks great

Great to see the PS5's first year off to a great start already, between Demon's Souls, Returnal and this. Looks like Sony's exclusive train isn't slowing down for anyone.

Meanwhile, on Team Xbox

*cough*
"Yeah, but Gamepass"

Is what I would say if I were an X-boy.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
"Yeah, but Gamepass"

See, Gamepass is a great deal, and I don't think anyone is really going to dispute that.

In combination with, say, a Series S console, that makes next-gen gaming accessible.

But, what gamepass doesn't really do, is push people towards next-gen - yet.

What Xbox is doing with their exclusives is admirable... but first, they need to have exclusives.

A few years down the line, when Xbox (hopefully) has a few decent game's under their belt, I think that gamepass will be an unbeatable offer. But, for the time being... not so much.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
"Yeah, but Gamepass"

Gamepass is great if you just have an Xbox. Because you can also play it on PC now. Granted, if you have a PC with enough power to play games, you can also just buy games on deep discount like all of the time.

Also, just realized that X-boy sounds like the Little League version of the X-men. Or a superhero who really phoned in the superhero name.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Gamepass is great if you just have an Xbox. Because you can also play it on PC now. Granted, if you have a PC with enough power to play games, you can also just buy games on deep discount like all of the time.
Yeah, I know, but all too often in the ever tiresome discussions on who is going to "win" the generation, there's bound to be that one guy who does "yeah, but Gamepass", as if the deal is already sealed.

Gamepass is a good deal, but I'm on PC, and like you said, there's not as much pros to getting it there. As well as some dealbreaking cons, like how you can't use mods with Gamepass games outside of a few officially allowed ones, because the game files are encrypted. I don't use mods all that much myself, but I do think it an integral part of the pc gaming experience. So I'm opposed on principle.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Chimpzy, @Dalisclock, and @laggyteabag. Also from the XBOX fan boys: "Halo Infinite about to go crazy!" or "We're getting another Forza!". The only advantage Series X has at this point is backwards compatibility from all generations of XBOX games.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
@Chimpzy, @Dalisclock, and @laggyteabag. Also from the XBOX fan boys: "Halo Infinite about to go crazy!" or "We're getting another Forza!". The only advantage Series X has at this point is backwards compatibility from all generations of XBOX games.
Its a little sad that Xbox up until this point is still relying solely on a trio of franchises that are over a decade old. I'm a shameless Halo shill, but it'd be nice to have something else.

But backwards compatibility across 3 generations is definitely nothing to scoff at.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
"Yeah, but Gamepass"

Game Pass is what happens when one officially realizes they cannot compete on a particular competitive plane, so they change course to another one. Sony is fortunate in a way that they have so much first party depth, because without it and the way Microsoft is buying shit up left and right they’d be struggling in the long game.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
But backwards compatibility across 3 generations is definitely nothing to scoff at.
You know, the question of how impressive their 3 gen bc actually is got me curious. So I went about finding out how many games you could potentially play on consoles with backwards compatability, and made a rough and dirty top 5:

1. PS3 (NA 20/60gb launch model): ~5400-5500 games
    The North American PS3 launch model is a BC Beast. The PS3 library by itself is 2278 strong and the console is region free, so theoretically all of those should be playable, tho getting all the digital only games would be a hassle juggling between regional accounts. PS1 and PS2 are region locked and exact numbers for how many NA releases there of each are actually pretty hard to find, but the best estimates I could find were 1850 PS2 games and some 1300-1450 PS1 games. Fun fact, if the PS1/2 weren't region locked, this would've been an absolute slaughter. The total would've bloated to an obscene 10764 games, PS2 would come in second with 8486 games, and the PS1 and its 4106 game library wouldn't even need bc to take on all comers all by its lonesome.

2. Xbox Series: 3530 games
    I really expected either the DS or GBA would take second place, but no, Microsoft takes, if only by a hair. Anyway, Xbone has no region locking, so theoretically, all its 2725 games should run on any system, tho the same conundrum of gathering all the digital only games does also apply here. Add in the 206 Series X releases, 577 Xbox 360 games, and 42 OG Xbox games, and you've got yourself a handsome total.

3. Nintendo DS (og model): 3528 games
    No region locking, so it's just adding the numbers. That's 2030 for DS (not including DSiware) and 1498 for GBA

4. PS4: 3470 games
    PS4 karmatastically takes 4th place, largely thanks to its its large region free 3186 strong library, suplemented by 284 PS5 games.

5. Game Boy Advance: 3459 games
    Again, no region locking on any of the Game Boy incarnations. 1049 for og gameboy, 915 for GBC and 1498 for GBA.

Mind you, don't take these numbers as gospel. Like I said, it's quick and dirty, and figuring out how many would exactly work in bc on each system is a scope I'm not willing to commit to. I made a lot of assummptions, and if you were to filter out all the rereleases, mere variants, and cross-gen titles, as well as any games that are not backwards compatible due to software or hardware conflicts, the total for each of these would drop and the order would probably shift somewhat. My guess would be PS3 stays numero 1 tho, and the Series and PS5 would possibly drop to spots below the Nintendo handhelds. It's also possible a PS2 from a different region than NA, like perhaps a JP one, might actually be 5th or even 4th.

Of course, as a pc gamer, all those numbers are just adorable ;)

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Game Pass is what happens when one officially realizes they cannot compete on a particular competitive plane, so they change course to another one. Sony is fortunate in a way that they have so much first party depth, because without it and the way Microsoft is buying shit up left and right they’d be struggling in the long game.
I agree. If you're a more casual gamer who wants in on next gen but is only really interested in playing the major (multiplayer) games like your FIFAs, Maddens, CoDs, GTAs and whatever the flavour of the week is, then a Series S/X with Game Pass is a really compelling deal. If only two of those games you'd have gotten day one anyway are also day one on Game Pass, then the sub just paid for itself. Wait no, since games are now $70, it's actually a little cheaper. And as a bonus you can easily try games you probably wouldn't have bought otherwise. That's really compelling, and while I'm not into Game Pass, I can think of many friends who game who would be.

In a sense, you could even say PS5 is the only system on the market this gen that doesn't have a unique and compelling selling point. Switch has portability. Series S/X has Game Pass. Even Stadia has it's 'play on any internet-connected device with a screen' schtick, Google cocking up everything that could be cocked up aside.