Stay On Target!... With These X-Wing Miniatures Expansions

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Stay On Target!... With These X-Wing Miniatures Expansions

These four new ships from Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures' seventh wave will take tabletops to a galaxy far, far away.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/tabletop/reviews/13750-Star-Wars-Armada-Review-Star-Destroyers-vs-X-Wings-In-A-Miniatur>Star Wars: Armada is all the rage in the sci-fi tabletop world right now, but Fantasy Flight's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/tabletop/reviews/11402-X-Wing-Miniatures-Game-Review-Precision-Planning-and-Pure-Luck>X-Wing Miniatures are still going strong - helped in no small part <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139584-X-Wings-Scum-and-Villainy-Faction-Showcased-in-New-Rundown>by tons of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136962-X-Wing-Miniatures-Scum-and-Villainy-Faction-Announced-by-Fantasy-Flight-Games-at-Gen-Con>high-quality expansions. Now the series is prepared for yet another boost with X-Wing's seventh wave expansion set. As always these craft will give you that extra edge in tabletop combat - or simply look cool sitting on a shelf.

These four new starships are drawn from the impressive history of Star Wars' expanded universe. First up is Hound's Tooth, the signature vessel of Trandoshan bounty hunter Bossk. This large-base freighter comes with impressive weapons, upgrades, and the ability to launch the Nashtah Pup - a Z-95 Headhunter that escapes your exploding craft. Next up is the Kihraxz Fighter, a nimble, well-rounded Black Sun starship designed for the Scum and Villainy line.

From there, Fantasy Flight turns its attention to Rebellion and Imperial bombers. Rebel players get the K-wing, a highly-durable small-base fighter that can make short work of capital ships. The Empire, meanwhile, launches TIE Punishers - upgraded TIE bombers that carry a larger payload. Both ships also come with the Extra Munitions upgrade, boosting the efficiency of your weapons.

[gallery=4045]

Much like previous expansions, these ships will probably set you back several credits - but if they're anything like X-Wing's previous expansions, their high quality is assured. We'll find out when the Wave VII expansions launch in the third quarter of 2015.

Source: Fantasy Flight Games

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I love it, but I refuse to let Disney Milk money out of the EU after killing it. I'll get them used off e-bay eventually.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Ukomba said:
I love it, but I refuse to let Disney Milk money out of the EU after killing it. I'll get them used off e-bay eventually.
I suppose that's one way to look at it. Another would be to buy it new to encourage them to keep the old EU relevant. Its "Legends" status doesn't mean it's automatically non-canon, just any "new canon" content that conflict with it takes precedence. It's like the "G-T-C-S-N" hierarchy of the old canon, only far less convoluted. Either way it's a "vote with your wallet" scenario.

In any case, the ships look great as usual.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The K-Wing: pretty much the coolest looking thing to come out of the Black Fleet Crisis books. It's like the A-10 of Star Wars.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
The K-Wing: pretty much the coolest looking thing to come out of the Black Fleet Crisis books. It's like the A-10 of Star Wars.
I literally signed in just to say how fuck-ugly the K-Wing is! It's the ugliest looking ship in the SW universe. Like a factory threw up a bunch of random spaceship parts. :p

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Iwata said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I literally signed in just to say how fuck-ugly the K-Wing is! It's the ugliest looking ship in the SW universe. Like a factory threw up a bunch of random spaceship parts. :p
So basically every Rebel starfighter, then? They're cool looking stripped down.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
helped in no small part by tons of high-quality expansions.
Sure, if you call only having 26 total expansions a 'ton'...

Star Trek Attack wing exceeds that by leaps and bounds. I think this is Wave 8 or 9 for X-Wing? STAW is expecting to be on Wave 19 by the end of the year.

X-Wing has only two things going for it over STAW: Its model quality and the popularity of its licenced franchise. As Game Mechanics go, STAW's upgrade system vastly outstrips X-Wing, having 12 unique factions to draw upgrades from (Compared to X-wing's paltry 3), and with resources (participation prizes from Organized play events that give special abilities) like the recent Officer Exchange program which allows you to equip Admirals, Captains and Crew from other factions with no penalty and discounts for Captains and Admirals. The combinations possible number in the thousands

My friend has every expansion for STAW, and to fit all the upgrade cards for the game into binders, it takes 4 200 page binders with 9 card slot pages.

Sure, Wizkids' model quality is sh*te, we know that (and the model quality is improving with recent releases), that's what model paint is for, and their official rules forum (W.O.R.F.) has its head up its ass most of the time (Most Tournament Organizers elect to ignore some rulings from them because some are contradictory), but the game has far more customizability with the number of factions, ships and upgrades compared to X-Wing.