Stealth Games Don't Have to Be About Killing People

CutThroatConcierge

May 1, 2013
It would be interesting because the sneak could get into restricted areas and turn off security systems behind the scenes, the spy could scope out the live security as well as lift keys and security keycards from guards and the con-man could chat them up to make it easier for the spy to lift items from the guard's pockets and get info like security codes and passwords that the other two couldn't. Sly 2 and 3 had a system a little like that but they didn't use it to their full potential because Sly was a 'Jack of all trades' so the other two were render unnecessary in most cases. If the new 'Thief' game let you pick one of these three character types then I think that would be good because it would suit a game like 'Thief' or 'Dishonored' although I know that game is heavily "inspired" by the 'Thief' series.

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
I want this. Ya know what else I'd like? Local co-op, requiring all three, Lost Vikings style. Sneak usually leads the way, being spry and flighty, he's a ghost, and collects intel for the others. He acts as a scout, and in "find and recover" missions he's the guy who gets out of the way best. Spy blends into the groups, and doubles as a hacker, working down security systems and being able to look like he belongs well enough to get what he needs, or what the others need. The Conman is their entrance, the distraction, and with a bit of psychology training and a decent workout, also acts as a bit of muscle for intimidation or "information exchanges".

I think that's the size of things... I want to play Ocean's Eleven.

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
As much as a game allowing multiple "classes" of rogues would be, and as much as a game without the objective of "kill every ************ in the room" the whole time would be refreshing, I think the game shouldn't force the players to take the pacifist route, either by having guards so overpowered that ANY fight is suicidal, or arbitrarily failing the mission for making a mistake because "The enemy suspects foul play, so they're completely tossing their game plan". Instead, it should be that stealthier operations don't escalate the difficulty of the next level (at least, any more than the escalation should be), but sloppier runs get more attention, and more security measures are used for the next level.

For example, say you need to find information on a drug syndicate, or need to steal a diamond from a museum. If you kill one guard, it will raise everybody to alert status (and they'll stay on alert status for the whole level), but it won't matter much in the next level if you can complete your objective without killing anybody else, or getting caught in the process - not to be cynical, but a nine-to-five schmuck getting iced won't have cops and/or gangsters swarming as much, say, realizing you stole whatever it is you stole. Butchering everybody you see will have all the remaining guards freak the fuck out, shooting first and asking questions when you're dead, bringing in reinforcements from outside the level (making escape all the more harder), and will even have following levels even MORE heavily guarded and on alert status before you even get there (even if you "leave no witnesses", everybody will be freaking the fuck out over the mass murders).

Again, killing shouldn't be discouraged by having the act of killing rendered impossible, and getting caught with "stealing" information shouldn't result in failing the next level because the bad guys completely changed their plans by one bit of data being compromised - it should result in levels going from a handful of guards not expecting any trouble to CRAWLING with guards who are on high alert for the whole level.

Incidentally, I think the plot should either be of a thief (or a gang of thieves) out to rob a bunch of rich fucks blind (a la the Thief series) or a person (or a lot of people) out to get revenge on the people who screwed them over, and left them for dead. The first story will naturally have increased difficulty curves as you go stealing more and more precious items, but will increase the difficulty curve enormously if you kill hundreds of people in the process (and will brand you as a mass-murdering psychopath rather than a rascally thief, to hammer home how badly you've crossed the line). The other allows a fresh take on the "person out for payback" plot by giving the option to go on a roaring rampage of revenge WITHOUT needing to kill anybody. The closest things I can use to describe these options are the "pacifist" eliminations from Dishonered (getting a pair of slave drivers enslaved in their own mines, getting an aristocratic ***** spirited off by a stalker, etc.), or the plot for The Count Of Monte Cristo - the Count outright states that killing his enemies would have been easy, but truly getting revenge by completely humiliating and destroying their lives - that's gonna take a bit of hard work. It should be easy to give objectives for these "pacifist eliminations" - if they're criminals, gather evidence for the police to arrest them, and imprison them for the rest of their lives. If it's not possible to arrest them, find a way to screw them over in a way that death would be a mercy for them. And if you do that by not harming a hair on the hair of their guards (therefore not becoming as much a monster as your real targets) - so much the better.

The only cherry on top is to give special cutscenes for taking the pacifist route, at least for taking the most high-profile jobs: Yahtzee once said in one of his videos that he always wanted to keep the guards alive because he could imagine them stomping on their hats in rage when they see they've been duped. In order to make non-violence as cathartic as immediately "killing every ************ in the room", there should be some cutscenes where everybody finds out what you did, and promptly flips the fuck out, but you're already laughing your way to the bank, you handsome rogue you!

Ghostfreak

Oct 2, 2013
Mirror's Edge was kind of stealthy no? Either way I think Assassin's Creed has probably been the best game I've played...Batman is fun but I'm not sure how much of it is really "stealth". My biggest issue with stealth games is the "if you're seen its over" concept. It's like if I'm seen I should be able to fight. Stealth should always be an "option" not a must. Mirror's Edge had a few levels on it where if I think you were seen it was done...

Either way all of them have this super funny concept in it...I think fans of stealth games will enjoy this comic:

http://www.8bitgamer.com/comic/stealth-games-silent-deadly/