Steam Autumn Sale Kicks Off, Valve Launches the Steam Awards

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Steam Autumn Sale Kicks Off, Valve Launches the Steam Awards

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1363/1363504.jpgValve has launched the annual autumn Steam sale, and they've added a new wrinkle: The Steam Awards.

As was rumored earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168795-Steam-Autumn-Sale-and-Winter-Sale-2016-Dates-Leaked], the Steam Autumn Sale has kicked off today. In addition to the huge number of discounted games, Valve has also added something new this year: The Steam Awards.

What are the The Steam Awards? Well, they're a group of awards that will be awarded in December, and will be nominated by Steam users between today and November 29. You can nominate any game from the vast Steam catalog for an award. Here are the award categories:

The "Test of Time" Award
The "I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye" Award
The "Just 5 More Minutes" Award
The "Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!" Award
The "Villain Most In Need Of A Hug" Award
The "Game Within A Game" Award
The "I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award" Award
The "Best Use Of A Farm Animal" Award
The "We Didn't Think of Everything" Award

You can nominate any game you like simply by visiting its page in the Steam store. There are also badges to earn by completing tasks. You can find out more about the awards, the nominations, and the badges by checking out the announcement page on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwardNominations/].

The Steam Sale ends November 29 at 1 PM ET.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Nominate a bunch of random games in my queue, nominate 1 game I own, change one letter of the review I wrote for it and then start it up and I have a free badge!

If only all these events were this convinient!

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Sucks that I can't nominate any game for more than one category; whose idea was that? I can think of at least three categories that I'd feel bad nominating anything but Undertale for.

Caramel Frappe said:
The "Best Use Of A Farm Animal" one is going to throw people into guessing what it actually means.
It means "We made an award solely so that Goat Simulator would win one of them."

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Cool!

I'd nominate a different Sakura game for each of those awards for the lulz, but that 100 xp badge... :(

sephthewind

Mar 30, 2011
Steve the Pocket said:
Sucks that I can't nominate any game for more than one category; whose idea was that? I can think of at least three categories that I'd feel bad nominating anything but Undertale for.

Caramel Frappe said:
The "Best Use Of A Farm Animal" one is going to throw people into guessing what it actually means.
It means "We made an award solely so that Goat Simulator would win one of them."
My thoughts exactly, I had to cast my vote in that direction because it was obviously the intention. Honestly some of these really feel like they were named with a game in mind already. I mean the one about hugging villains HAS to be won by Undertale, right? If I was a betting man I'd go in on that with extreme confidence.

You could also easily give Undertale the I'm Not Crying award but I'd expect it'll probably go to one of Telltale's games, though I know there's a lot of other story heavy games on Steam I've missed because it's not a genre I enjoy very often.

Pretty sure there are enough people still obsessed with Skyrim to ensure it wins the Test of Time award despite only being five years old, it'll probably beat out a game that deserves it more.

I'm personally hoping Tabletop Simulator will get the recognition to win the Gameception award since it's a game ABOUT making and playing games, but you could probably pin just about all the party games on steam up on a dart board and toss a few to get the winner of this meme award. Same for "Just 5 More Minutes" and all the roguelike/strategy games, unless Skyrim steals that too.

The rest could go to anything I guess, they're vague enough. The last one is just a write-in award, I'm giving it to Magicka and calling it "We did actually think of everything" personally. Though to be honest I'd like to give Magicka a lot of these awards, including the one about farm animals.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Steve the Pocket said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Really? I immediately thought of the cow from Earthworm Jim.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
Why are all the awards so heavily meme'd ... not that i'm against it
Catlateral Damage for "I Can Haz Awardz?" Award. Or maybe Cat Goes Fishing. Or Fort Meow. Purring Quest? Let The Cat In?

I have too many cat games. >.<

The trailer for Let The Cat In is teh best tho...

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Life Is Strange should easily win the "I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye" award

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Kinda neat. Categories aren't the easiest to fill in, but that also might result in an interesting division of votes.

Might as well share some nominations:

"I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye" - Undertale; for probably obvious reasons.

"Just 5 More Minutes" - Garry's Mod; specifically because whenever I play it, it's for several hours at a time.

"Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!" - Metal Gear Rising; because Nanomachines, Son. I can't think of a better fit.

"Villain Most In Need Of A Hug" - Battleblock Theatre; I mean, I couldn't get more literal.

"Game Within A Game" - Soda Drinker Pro; I take it back, I got more literal.

"Best Use Of A Farm Animal" - Stardew Valley? I guess? Can't give Undertale two of them.

My Personal Category:
"Best Game to Interrupt a Party With" - Jackbox Party Pack 2; because party games need love.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
The "I'm not crying" award is truly insidious. As my mind looked through that mental rolodex so many examples that I had nearly forgotten surged to the fore.

A little sister being shot in the back while my medics are apparently off at the rear echelon hospital.

A sweet flower girl praying for hope that got shanked by a madman.

A father figure who made a last stand so that my adoptive sister and I could escape.

A daughter that has gone through all sorts of things that traumatized her. There's always a lighthouse. There's always a man. There's always a city.

Another father figure trapped in his own creation as I was forced to watch him commit suicide to protect his invention from the wrong hands.

All of my boys and girls who challenged the darkness, either aliens or eldritch horrors, and never came home. When I visit the memorial, I realize that there are SO MANY of them.

"Born a man. Died an Arizona Ranger."

Gosh darn it, got sand in my eye again.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
i put civ 6 for 5 more minutes. could be actually any civ game.

xcom terror from the deep for test of time.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Well, I know one game I want to nominate for Test of Time for absolute fucking sure even though I know no one else is going to nominate it because it's just too old now and nobody cares.

Unreal Tournament '99

Was actually stuck between nominating that or UT2004, but UT99 has better base weapons, MUCH better soundtrack, and more memorable maps, and it runs on a toaster with non-existent load times, so it wins. The sheer massive AVALANCHE of community content for both of them is definitely where the party's at though. And UT2004 has the utterly amazing Ballistic Weapons 2.5 too along with some nice and much needed graphical updates and the AI updates are nice too with extra functionality for mod makers, plus it doesn't take a billion years to load the stupid mod options menu if you have a huge amount of them.

Anyway though. If you're looking for a game with practically infinite replay value, UT99/2004 would definitely be it.

-

I also wanted to nominate Garry's Mod for Test of Time but it's got the worst fucking fans in the world.

"Nothing ruins a good thing quite like knowing you share your opinions with mindless little tits who bray like mules if you so much as mention the word 'cake'."
- Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Damn, now I heard about Garry's Mod I think I have to check this out... :(

Also I have to look through my steam gamelist; some I probably missed!

My awards:

The "Test of Time" Award -> Could we actually go with Counterstrike?
The "I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye" Award -> Undertale!?
The "Just 5 More Minutes" Award -> Witcher 3...
The "Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!" Award -> ??? have to look...
The "Villain Most In Need Of A Hug" Award -> Owlboy
The "Game Within A Game" Award -> Gwent
The "I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award" Award -> Dota2 (could I nominate Dota"1"?)
The "Best Use Of A Farm Animal" Award -> Goat Simulator
The "We Didn't Think of Everything" Award -> Can we give this to every AAA-Shooter with Zero-Day-Patches?

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
Nuuu said:
Kinda neat. Categories aren't the easiest to fill in, but that also might result in an interesting division of votes.

Might as well share some nominations:

"I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye" - Undertale; for probably obvious reasons.

"Just 5 More Minutes" - Garry's Mod; specifically because whenever I play it, it's for several hours at a time.

"Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!" - Metal Gear Rising; because Nanomachines, Son. I can't think of a better fit.

"Villain Most In Need Of A Hug" - Battleblock Theatre; I mean, I couldn't get more literal.

"Game Within A Game" - Soda Drinker Pro; I take it back, I got more literal.

"Best Use Of A Farm Animal" - Stardew Valley? I guess? Can't give Undertale two of them.

My Personal Category:
"Best Game to Interrupt a Party With" - Jackbox Party Pack 2; because party games need love.
"Test of Time" , skyrim.

"I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye" - bioshock infinite. the only game upto now that hit me in the feels. (when they got Elizabeth i was angry and sad)

"Just 5 More Minutes" - empire: total war/ Xcom. cant stop playing them. but the award went to empire.

"Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!" - valley. a charming little indie game. the twist at the end was great, along with the visuals

"Villain Most In Need Of A Hug" - batman: arkham city. what? i felt bad for the joker. ;_;

"Game Within A Game" - tabletop simulator. obvious why

"Best Use Of A Farm Animal" - this one was hard. went with goat simulator because i couldnt think of any other

My Personal Category:
"most fun game to watch someone play" - Dota 2.
im sharing them too.

Oct 22, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
It means "We made an award solely so that Goat Simulator would win one of them."[/quote]
Or Worms Armageddon. Or Stardew Valley. Or Undertale. There are some real time strategies i'm forgetting about as well.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
MrCalavera said:
There are some real time strategies i'm forgetting about as well.
Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne (not on Steam) will deserve a mention because the humans have the mechanical sheep - it's exactly the same as a normal sheep but it's under your control, so you can send it to spy on the enemy base. Or you can also polymorph enemies into sheep. In single player you can cause any critter (sheeps as well as others) to explode in a fountain of blood and bones by repeatedly clicking on it. Not just the expansion, in fact, it's the same in every Blizzard RTS but eh, started talking about TFT.

S.W.I.N.E. (not on Steam) - it's an RTS where you have rabbits and pigs fighting. With tanks and everything. It's available for free [http://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=10307].

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
MrCalavera said:
Steve the Pocket said:
Or Worms Armageddon. Or Stardew Valley. Or Undertale. There are some real time strategies i'm forgetting about as well.
Or Terraria. Or Castle Crashers. Or Counter-Strike. Or Hell Yeah. Or Super Amazing Wagon Adventure.

I think people are vastly underestimating the breadth of choices for that award.