Steam Comes to Macs Tomorrow With Portal, Torchlight

drizztmainsword

Apr 15, 2009
ratix2 said:
have you ever used a computer or do you just believe that macs are so good that your blind to the obvious? and yes, i have to deal with macs at work and they are ALWAYS a pain in the ass to fix AND work with.

yes, apple DOES sell service packs, only the call them leopard, puma, etc and call them major updates when all they do is fix a few things and add in features that have existed under windows, linux and EVERY OTHER OPERATING SYSTEM for years like time machine (aka RAID 1), spaces (aka virtualization) and boot camp (aka partitioning a hard drive), then charges outrages prices for them.

were talking about PERSONAL COMPUTERS, NOT CONSOLES.

all of those things are because of my previous point, that apple strictly controls EVERY aspect of its os, even down to who can make programs for it, even going so far as to serve lawsuits to 3rd party and freeware developers who refuse to stop working on programs apple hasant given the green light to.

easier to fix my ass. with linux you can edit anything, instead of just using a workaround (which is what fixing problems in windows and mac os actually is) so you can acutally FIX the problems with the os. as for comparison to windows, if apple was as open as microsoft your mac would be a hell of a lot worse off. ever try a radeon hd 4870 with a mac? not a pretty sight.

and yes, it is. raid 1 has been available since the mid 80s, yet it took until 2005 for apple to incorporate it into their computers. a similar, yet completely unpublicized feature has existed in windows since win 95, and has been in every microsoft os since. and other "new features" of mac os are just that, unpublicised features of windows, linux, other os's and even third party programs that have existed for years.

and neither linux nor windows are perfect, but neither is mac os, and its not better that either that by a long shot and if you cant admit that your an idiot. stop sucking on apples teat and learn something.

f) (And before you or anyone else can even make this stupid out-of-date claim:) Macs have been Customizable and Upgradeable in terms of Hardware for OVER A YEAR NOW!!!
oh, and ive only been doing that with windows and linux FOR 20 YEARS. and macs arent behind the times.
Umm, since when is Time Machine raid 1? It's not. It's just a backup.

Spaces isn't virtualization. That statement proves that you really don't know what you're talking about.

Boot camp != partitioning a hard drive. You've always been able to partition a hard drive. Boot camp partitions your drive and sets up the BIOS to support dual boot all at once, making it nice and easy.

Anybody can make software for a mac.

The prices of the Windows OS have always been much more expensive than any Mac OS. Vista cost $200+, and came in around five versions. Mac OSs have always cost around $120. One version, all of the features. Not to mention that Apple releases a new OS full of new and useful features about every 1.5 years. How long did it take Microsoft from XP to Vista? How much did Vista utterly suck? Exactly.

And a note about Linux comparisons: Linux is obviously going to be the easiest to fix and the easiest to customize. However, Linux is not a consumer OS. Windows and Mac are.

There is one thing that I like about windows more than Mac: windows has a good save dialog ('cause you can move stuff around and whatnot). That's it. Everything else (ignoring program compatibility, I have a PC too) Mac is the clear victor in terms of usability.

/Rant

OT: I'm quite excited to get Steam on my Mac. The ability to have a portable gaming machine without defiling it with windows (I'll save that for my PC) is a wonderful thing.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
I love how news like this always starts the good old flame wars of mac vs pc. Give me a break if you like mac great keep using mac if you like windows great keep using windows. If you like linux great keep using linux. It is personal preference and what features your computer needs to be able to do for you and how much money you would like to spend.

Personally I am a linux guy :)

OT: It is awesome that mac is getting steam support maybe more companies will start programming for openGL to be able to port over to the mac easier. Which can only help openGL get even better. Another nice thing coming out of this is with steam being available on mac it is not that far of a hop to port for linux. In fact supposedly they are working on a linux client too. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE3Mw

Aug 3, 2008
So much hate here, the reason i bought a mac is that it retains its value much better than a PC. Yes i payed more (not too much more as i get a student discount) but it will still be worth something 2/3 years down the line.

Just did a quick ebay look and a PC with a DualCore Intel Pentium 3200 MHz processor, NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400 (128 MB) graphics card and 1Gb memory (Ok not amazing but by no means unusable) is currently £92 with 17hours left. I imagine that was probably about £500 when it was bought, maybe more maybe less depending on how old it is.

Now a 14 inch iBook G4 1.33GHz Processor with 'RAM upgraded to 768MB' is upto £217

Quit a big difference

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
People think that macs only have one button still?

My magic mouse has like...30.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
baggyn said:
Cryo84R said:
People think that macs only have one button still?

My magic mouse has like...30.
There're awesome aren't they. I'll admit they are expensive but mine was a valentines day present :)
I have never looked back.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
As for mac owners not being gamers, that indie games pack that's been getting so much news on here, I seem to remember the sales being split 50/25/25% roughly between Windows, Mac and Linux.

Ok, it's not a majority, but mac users have too much money, as proved by them owning a mac, therefore it only makes good business sense to sell them stuff!

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
ratix2 said:
yeah, pay 2x the price of what the hardware costs for a logo and a cleaner interface yet less feature rich, secure and stable operating system, right.

sorry, but mac os has so many problems you cannot call it a better os than windows (overall) with any degree of honesty and computer knowledge. and not to mention that apple gets people to buy service packs for ridiculous prices (save for snow leopard) just for features that have been in windows or even computers in general for 15-20+ years that macs have done without because of apples ridiculous policy of stagnating third party and freeware developers just so they can push their crappy, overpriced software.

give me a linux version and ill be happy. until then i dont really care.
Less feature rich is simply not true, you can't claim Windows is more secure when OSX has virus protection built-in (for all what, like 1% of viruses out there made for Mac in the first place), and stability is not a problem whatsoever in Mac. You bring up the price issue, which is a valid one, but all your other comments lead me to wonder if you've ever actually used a Mac.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Thaius said:
ratix2 said:
yeah, pay 2x the price of what the hardware costs for a logo and a cleaner interface yet less feature rich, secure and stable operating system, right.

sorry, but mac os has so many problems you cannot call it a better os than windows (overall) with any degree of honesty and computer knowledge. and not to mention that apple gets people to buy service packs for ridiculous prices (save for snow leopard) just for features that have been in windows or even computers in general for 15-20+ years that macs have done without because of apples ridiculous policy of stagnating third party and freeware developers just so they can push their crappy, overpriced software.

Less feature rich is simply not true, you can't claim Windows is more secure when OSX has virus protection built-in (for all what, like 1% of viruses out there made for Mac in the first place), and stability is not a problem whatsoever in Mac. You bring up the price issue, which is a valid one, but all your other comments lead me to wonder if you've ever actually used a Mac.
He hasn't. Couldn't even be bothered to read the anti-mac talking points of the current decade either, apparently.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Cryo84R said:
Thaius said:
ratix2 said:

He hasn't. Couldn't even be bothered to read the anti-mac talking points of the current decade either, apparently.
Considering some people are still saying Macs only have one button, I'd say not many have. Not surprising: it seems like most Mac-haters I've talked to haven't used them since OS9.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
So does this mean these games and steam are also becoming available for Linux? This could be really good for OpenGL in particular and open source in general!

Aug 3, 2008
kingmob said:
So does this mean these games and steam are also becoming available for Linux? This could be really good for OpenGL in particular and open source in general!
I guess thats a future possibility. I imagine steam will focus on windows and mac now but might bring it to linux one day.

SniperMacFox

Suffer not the Flamer to live
Jun 26, 2009
Now there is no reason why every single person on this website should not play Portal. In fact, can a new rule be made that in order to be a member of the Escapist, you have to play Portal? Please?