Steam Expands Library to Non-Game Software

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Well I was worried that they'd stripped me of my rights to a class action suit by holding hundreds of dollars' worth of games for ransom, but wow! That totally makes up for that!

mixadj

Oct 23, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
Cowabungaa said:
I can see them merging with Linux in the future to form some kind of semi-opensource OS thing. Just a vibe I get after reading this.
Valve, with a bit of additional specialized manpower, could make and maintain its own Linux distro...

If there's going to be one alternative to completely ditch Windows as a gaming platform, that would be it.
I am glad I am not the only one who got that from this article. I could see Valve making Steam and integral part of their own Linux distro with it acting like Ubuntu's Software Center. I think that would actually be a good move. An idiotproof distro made by Valve specifically for gaming(with full driver support for a multitude of cards) could make Linux PC gaming dam near painless. I hate having to deal with Linux when shit goes wrong....

PS: If valve rolls their own distro you know it will have a cool looking base GUI...

grnchile

May 26, 2012
So I'll have to start up Steam client and spend 15 minutes watching it repeatedly trying and failing to download an update before I can use my text editor? Yeah - I totally want that.

Or perhaps I want to go through the aggravation of having to cancel my credit card after they leak it again. Even better.

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
It seems like a pretty sweet idea actually, the cloud service sounds like it's be really useful. Newell makes another step towards world domination.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I would really hope that it would be possible to turn off automatic updating on applications. An auto-update of a game renders a save file unreadable or tries to introduce a feature your video card doesn't like, well, that's a hassle. An automatic update of an application stops supporting a file format because the parent company has had a falling out with someone like Adobe or Sun... that can be a lot of valuable work lost.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I am normally a big supporter of steam but I can't say this is a good thing. I want my gaming platforms to be about games, not other media,software, or bloatware that I see on the xbox dashboard.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Callate said:
I would really hope that it would be possible to turn off automatic updating on applications. An auto-update of a game renders a save file unreadable or tries to introduce a feature your video card doesn't like, well, that's a hassle. An automatic update of an application stops supporting a file format because the parent company has had a falling out with someone like Adobe or Sun... that can be a lot of valuable work lost.
See, this is the sort of thing that people should point out to Valve ahead of time, so they can make sure that their contracts with developers specify that non-optional patches are not allowed to strip functionality from an app. 99% of developers wouldn't even think twice about agreeing to that, since nobody plans to need to do that ahead of time.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Not all that surprised by this. I've actually kinda been looking for this functionality from them for a while.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Aren't there a couple non-game software already on the site? Source filmmaker, that one indie developer documentary, some gamer magazines...

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Callate said:
You can do it for games, i do it for arma 2 because i rather manually update that with beta builds most of the time.

i do not see why you would not have the same options for apps, after all its pretty standard practice to not deploy point upgrades before they are tested in house before they are generally deployed in most work environments, would only be common sense to offer all or more options for the app store as compared to the games store, do not see why they should differ all that much if at all.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I heard about this on Forbes, and frankly, the more I think about it the more I'm realizing that this move will either be useless or it could have an enormous impact on the software industry as a whole.

The addition of automatic updates, cloud-service integration, up-to-date driver support, Steamworks and Steam Workshop integration, and the possibility of companies like Adobe going to a free-to-use model like gaming uses could lead to sweeping changes to the software industry.

Time will tell how this turns out. Either way, I eagerly await September 5th.

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
Tenmar said:
Yo, I heard you like having DRM on your DRM and waiving your right to class action lawsuits on waiving your right to class action lawsuit. On Steam we got all that right here and more.
That would be a valid argument if there was ever any kind of circumstance under which I would even halfway consider suing valve. As it stands, Gabe Newell could walk into my house and take a dump on my carpet, and I'd still kiss the ground he walked on for bringing me an entire library of games for the cash between the sofa cushions. I'd rather give away my right to sue a company that does everything right than hold onto that right and buy from a company that does everything wrong.

IntangibleMango

Jul 5, 2009
Greg Tito said:
"We need to buy our software in boxes at a store!" publishers cried back in 1998.
I hate to be picky, or maybe i'm reading this wrongly, but shouldn't that be "We need to sell our software ..."? - Unless publishers buy their own software for some reason.

OT: I can see this being useful for some users, but all users at this point in time have signed up for Steam specifically for games, game tools and the community that surrounds them, so people wanting to buy things like Sony Vegas from Steam are probably in the minority.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Just calling it now.

To all the people who say this is dumb/silly/stupid, you really didn't pay attention to the article where a lot of people said it was dumb/silly/stupid to distribute games this way. If Valve does this the way they do games, then you'll all be very very wrong.