Steam Faces Possible Security Breach

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Steam Faces Possible Security Breach

anti-Steam website [http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php].

Posting on the No-Steam forum, an individual calling himself MaddoxX has claimed credit for hacking into Steam, and has posted presumably-confidential material including financial information, customers' credit card information, and screenshots of internal Valve web pages.

The alleged hacker appears to be attempting some form of online extortion against Valve, posting the following to the forum: "If you want me to remove these files you can e-mail me at (address removed) and I prefer you come with something good unless you want me to expose ALL of the customers their information." The specifics of his demands remain unclear.

Steam, introduced in 2004 in conjunction with Valve's massive hit Half-Life 2, has grown into a massively popular and successful online distribution system on the internet. Along with Valve, Steam is now also used by companies such as 2K Games [http://www.eidos.com/]. As well as new releases, Steam is also serving as a distribution method for older releases such as Thief: Deadly Shadows, Arx Fatalis, and Deus Ex: Invisible War, offering gamers a chance to play titles that are otherwise difficult to obtain.

If this claim of data theft is genuine, it could quickly become a public relations nightmare for Valve, which would be forced to reveal to credit card holders that its security has been breached. This would also be the second high-profile lapse in security involving Valve in recent years; in 2003, the Half-Life 2 source code was stolen by someone who managed to break into Valve's internal systems undetected.

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
The word is that it's just the Cyber Cafe system that was compromised, which is separate from Steam.

Feb 13, 2008
Can't see it myself. To get credit card information, they'd have to go through the same cipher that protects the launch codes.

Yes, those launch codes.

But if he got the information people had put in from his friends or binnology, that's an easy fake to make.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
In recent years? That Half-Life 2 thing happened 9 years ago.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Can't see it myself. To get credit card information, they'd have to go through the same cipher that protects the launch codes.

Yes, those launch codes.

But if he got the information people had put in from his friends or binnology, that's an easy fake to make.
Nice necro...

And for to avoid ban I have to write some useless stuff.

"HACKING IS BAD!"

Feb 13, 2008
Tubez said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Yes, those launch codes.

Nice necro...

And for to avoid ban I have to write some useless stuff.

"HACKING IS BAD!"
Not my fault! :)
The "latest post" widget showed it when on a Bork, and I'd typed it before I noticed it wasn't this decade :)