Steam Losing Connection every so often.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Dear Readers,

I need some advice on this. My steam just loves to lose connection on me, and it's really starting to get on my nerves. It restores itself after a few seconds, but it's enough to disrupt my activities. I mean I can't believe how often it does this, at least twice...three times a day, sometimes more. My internet connection however constantly works. So I know it's not the problem of the ISP or my internet or anything else. That and this has only just been beginning to happen as of the last month or so. I've heard of this happening to other people, and I've searched all over Google for an answer. Nothing works, just nothing. Restarting steam doesn't work either, and it just keeps losing it's connection. This normally wouldn't be too much of a problem for me, if it weren't for the fact that I use Steam Chat constantly. If I cannot get this problem to fix itself I'll have to contact customer service (even though it does have a notorious reputation for being terrible). Though I want to keep that as a last resort. In any case, thanks for taking the time to read this. I know I sound frustrated, and I am, I really am. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Waifles

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
Have you tried reinstalling it? That's usually the first solution on the list when a program isn't working properly.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Verify that some other program like the Windows firewall isn't blocking it all the time. You might also consider that your internet connection isn't as stable as you think, but Steam just happens to have a lower threshold for timeouts than other existing programs.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Greetings and thanks for the response. My internet is quite stable, it is in the city and I only have problems with Steam, and no other program. I haven't reinstalled it yet, because I figured it was a steam connection issue, but I guess I could give it a try. Also I have Windows Firewall disabled, and I use Comodo.

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
I'd love to have an answer to this, too...

Like, Steam works? I can download my games, I can even play them online (Magicka is ridiculously fun multiplayer)... but then every now and then, it'll list as having 'no connection'.

Like right now. While I'm on the internet. Actively using my connection.

I know that my connection doesn't drop out, because I have monitored it. It's just like Steam gets sick of the internet and says 'Sod you, I've had enough being connected to the same world as Goatse.'

What I've managed to rule out:
Ports - I CAN play online... when the stars are aligned, anyway

Internet/Router issues - I am always connected to the internet when this happens, and have monitored this to check

Firewall - I've checked and double-checked that Steam is allowed - and, like I've mentioned, 60% of the time it IS connected.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
The only thing I can suggest is to do the "eliminating every possible step to isolate the cause" bit:

Try playing on another computer and see if your online gaming is still affected (i.e. it's not your computer).
Disable your anti-virus.
Disable your software firewall.
Disable any QoS and timeouts on your router, see if it persists. Try DMZ it as well.
Plug your computer directly to your modem.
Try different times of day, like I know my ISP has this reset the modem/network at 3am.
Try a traceroute from your place to Steam's servers (if you know them) and see what happens when you get disconnected. Does it still respond or does one hop somewhere die. Which hop is it?