Steam Machine Pre-Orders Shipping in October

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
The big draws for me are 1) not to be limited to 3 exploitative console monopolies masquerading as "choice", and 2) separating my specialty requirements from my productivity PC so I can have the best of both worlds (by separating the worlds).

However, launching the Steambox with Linux limits the whole "choice" thing a lot. I would really want a Windurrs OS so I can have all the games and entertainment, plus backup access to Internet services should my productivity PC be on the fritz. If they put in a dual-boot feature and allow me to bring my own OS, that'd do too. All they'd need is to maintain a support page for drivers for the OS versions and I'm good to go.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
I guess I'm not the average rube because I've had my PC hooked up to my TV for years and since most of the games I play are compatible with my wireless Xbox 360 controller, I haven't needed to purchase a console in a while. It's definitely debatable, but I almost feel like as the years go by and the average tech-savvy youngster becomes a tech-savvy adult, consoles won't be as necessary because of how versatile the PC can be. Even if you're afraid to dig inside your PC and upgrade the components yourself, it's not hard to get it upgraded by someone else and keep moving forward.

I still love consoles and I wish I had a valid reason to purchase one (console exclusive releases will never be a valid reason to me), but at this stage in my gaming hobby I think I just prefer the PC more.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Plus there is to much choice and you will still need to do some research to chose the right one. I understand this is made for people on the fence but thats why it wont work. People that have a lot of interest in pc gaming will do the research and build their own. Those that arnt into that and just want to play games will just stick with a console. I can see Steam selling a large majority of the boxes but i doubt many other companies will. An their new pad may be good, but people can still just use a k&M on their couch. I game on my laptop with a keyboard and mouse set up. I dont know, i guess we will see if its a product that will work. Maybe it will fail and in 5 years Apple will release the iBox and make a fortune like with all their products. lol