Steam, or the impulse buyer's greatest dream/worst nightmare.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
Hi Escapist, how are you doing? Is your chair comfy enough? How about a coffee, you look like you need one.

Now, I've mentioned this in passing before but it's worth repeating: I'm fairly new to PC gaming. At least, I'm fairly new to current gen PC gaming. It seems like these days, it's possible to be a PC gamer without using Steam in some capacity. It's a marvelous little invention, isn't it? A vast catalogue of games, merely a broadband connection and an hour or two away at the simple click of a mouse.

And, of course, perhaps it's best feature - the sale.

Ever since it's release, I've been intrigued by Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I love RPGs, I love Sci-Fi and I will accept I do quite enjoy cyberpunk. But I never really desired Deus Ex. I tried to play the original, and must admit I am too shallow to get past the awful, awful graphics. I played... Um, no I can't have because it didn't exist. Whatever that memory is, it isn't very good. I have also noticed that, since not at all long after release, DE:HR has not been a considerable investment. It got down to under £30 for the 'limited edition' on Xbox in what felt like weeks. But even then, as a 360 player, it was simply too much money. Other games happened, and on numerous shopping trips, I found myself clutching the bright green case, wondering if I was bored enough to finally give it a try. I looked at preowned copies, and said no. The price dropped to an inconsequential £15, and still I passed on it.

Today, after dropping out of a quick Skyrim sesh(by the by, God bless the superior PC version and the legion of talented modders), Steam yelled at me that Deus Ex was in the midweek sale. It's price: £3.47.

Three. Forty. Seven.

Without hesitating, I clicked buy. Earlier today, I spent £1.90 on a bottle of Fanta and a large packet of maltesers pretty much solely because a stroll had taken me into a shop. For only a little more money, I now own an hours-long RPG that I've been thinking about playing for a long time.

I should be really pleased, right? A game I wanted to play but could never justify spending cash on is now mine. But I did it without thinking. I did it because, even though I'm recently unemployed, such a small amount of money means nothing to me. I did it because it's so easy to click a button and instantly have digital 'money' leave my possession in exchange for a digital piece of entertainment.

So, the crux of the matter. Steam. Is it, along with its sales, a blessing or a curse? Is it a fantastic way to get games cheaply, or is it the precipice of a swift plunge into consumerist, impulsive nihilism where nothing has value and all it takes to sucker you into a purchase is a salesman assuring you you're getting a great deal (but only if you act NOW, damnit)?

I honestly don't know. All I do know is that I could start this game up tomorrow (it's getting late here in Blighty), absolutely hate it and not give the tiniest shit because I've spent more money on disappointing food than I have on this.

EDIT: Oh, right. Discussion value. Okay then, what's your take on digital distribution, and for Steam users, what's the best deal you've ever got on a game?

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
I'd say I have a common opinion on DD. Good for those who have reliable internet connections, hope it doesn't become the only source in the future, hope Steam gets some serious competition to prevent the monopoly they essentially have, and I really like it. My best bang for buck deal was easily Company of Heroes. Bought it during the Steam Sale (with an expansion) and I have dumped so much of my time into it. Not bad for $20. Best deal was probably buying Fear and expansions for $2 for my brother, he didn't like it, but that's a bit more expensive than a 20 oz coke for a several hour game.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
I'd say the THQ bundle was the best deal I've ever gotten on some games. Still the sales are more a curse than a blessing I think. I've got a backlog so large that I can't even be slightly fucked trying to make a dent in it.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
UrinalDook said:
So, the crux of the matter. Steam. Is it, along with its sales, a blessing or a curse? Is it a fantastic way to get games cheaply, or is it the precipice of a swift plunge into consumerist, impulsive nihilism where nothing has value and all it takes to sucker you into a purchase is a salesman assuring you you're getting a great deal (but only if you act NOW, damnit)?
Er... it's the good ones! With those sales you can get a dozen games for the price of ONE new game, and you're bound to like some of them so you're pretty much guaranteed to be quids in.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
The thing about Steam sales is, once you've had an account for a few years, you'll own everything on the service you actually want, barring recent releases. Or at least you will if you pay attention to the frequent sales. Up until last weekend, I hadn't actually bought anything on Steam since the Summer, because I had pretty much everything I wanted to buy, even at the ridiculous sale prices (which weren't so ridculous this Christmas, but since there wasn't much I wanted to buy anyway, it didn't really matter.) As for the game I bought last weekend, it was FTL for $5. And now that I have it, I'm right back to owning every game I actually want on the service.

Point being, the sales can seem a bit overwhelming at first, but only until you've been through a few years worth of them. Once you have, you'll rapidly hit a point where there isn't much left on the service that A.) you want, B.) that actually goes on sale from time to time (a lot of stuff doesn't, or if it does doesn't go down into impulse buy territory), and C.)you don't already have. Especially if you take advantage of indie bundles for your indie game needs. I've got an extensive collection of indie games, and FTL and Terrarria are the only two that didn't come from a bundle. Funny thing is (no hipster) I spend more time with my indie games than I do my AAA titles.

Edit: To give an idea of the kind of account we're talking about, I just ran it through a couple of different Steam calculators. They're showing a little over 100 games, coming to a total of eight or nine hundred bucks in value (which I think was higher the last time I checked -- there must have been a price drop on some of them in the mean time.) How much have I actually spent? A couple hundred, at most. Over three years. From what I gather around here, a lot of gamers spend that much in three or four months.

Kururu999

Mar 14, 2011
My best piece of advice for sale junkies new to steam is to make use of the wishlist. Make a list of things you actually want ahead of time, and then only get things that are on that list. Also that Deus Ex deal is hilariously good, don't feel bad about it at all.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I don't particularly like Steam overall, but the sales pretty much invariably test my willpower to breaking point. Probably my best Steam deal was Mass Effect 2 for about £4.50, not because of the game's length relative to its cost (although it did take me 30 hours) but because it's an absolutely outstanding game, and for that cheap I can't possibly complain.

Still, Steam does occasionally make me buy things I didn't go there meaning to because of the cheapness, like the Witcher and KotOR for £1.70 each. So in terms of the length to price ratio, the Witcher definitely wins. Just a pity I didn't enjoy it that much.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Well sales are always good but steam sales are not always better than anywhere else it still pays to look around personally I dont like steam so have zero problem resisting its sales also I tend to be very conservative on what games I buy these days and does it look interesting and is it at a good price are not enough to get me to buy anymore as I know I probably wont play it and thats just wasted money even if it was cheap.

If I really really really want a game I will buy it on release this dosent happen often if I just want to play it a lot I will wait until it goes cheap and then pick it up but I refuse to use steam anymore I was just really annoyed at the service they provided last time, I think I still have an account technically but god knows what the name and password are I am happy to pay a bit more if I dont have to deal with steam again.

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
Steam's a nightmare. Last year I ended up having more money than I was used to and Steam beckoned like some Siren in the mist. Before I knew it I had a backlog so big that I realized there was no way in hell I'd be able to beat it. It can be pretty bad to resist the sales, especially if you're new to Steam, since it's so easy and convenient to get the games at a relatively cheap price, but my best advice would be to use the Wishlist and realize that as good as a sale may be, it'll probably get better later on, especially during the summer and winter sales where some games just get annihilated price-wise.

And the best deal I ever got was Civ V and the Expansion for like $10. Considering I've already dropped well over 100 hours into it, I'd say it was money well spent. Same with Mount & Blade: Warband which I picked up for like $5. 200 hours of multiplayer for the price of a fuckin' Big Mac is a good deal in my book.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Steam is good as a content provider even if I find its other services teeth-grindingly irritating do to my slower internet speed.

It saddens me when I found Origin more likable for actually being able to launch games while online and shutting down without being forcibly terminated.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
Between Steam and GOG, I'm being sucked dry 5-20$ at a time.

Best deals I've gotten so far were the THQ bundle for 25$ (That's SR2-3, Darksiders 1-2, Company of Heroes + Opposing Fronts, Dawn of War II + expansions, Space Marine, Titan's Quest 2 + expansion, Homefront(meh), ATV vs Motocross (or something, don't really care))... I almost feel bad they went out of business.

Other than that, there was Orcs Must Die for 2$ since I got it with the sequel, in-fact the DLC cost more than the actualy game.

On GOG they did a 5 for 10$, so that was Uplink (sweet), Darwinia (overhyped), The Ball and Trine (didn't get the chance), and Gemini Rue (neat).

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Yeah Steam is well known for pillaging wallets and purses everywhere... it sucks but its also awesome, quite a quandary.

Oh and FYI OP, if the graphics of the original Deus Ex bother you then there is quite a few mods out there that bring them up to a more modern standard, its not Cry engine good but none the less it makes a hell of a improvement.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
You seem to have given this purchase a lot of thought, so it's not entirely in the hands of the salesman. As long as you're not buying a game simply because it's on sale you should be golden.

Woiminkle

Sep 8, 2012
The only thing Steam has done to me is make me completely unable to pay full price for a game. I can't do it. Knowing that in less than 6 months an opportunity will arrive for me to get what I want for half price or less means I can no longer justify paying 50 - 60 euro on a new release. I'm frankly astonished at the amount of people that still buy games on day 1 when a sale in a matter of months will see the game significantly discounted.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
It wasn't until I created a folder on my steam games tab called "Unfinished" and found that it was twice the size of my favorites list that I realized Steam sales might be a bit dangerous.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Welcome to the club. In future you will buy games that you won't ever play. But sometimes you discover some jewels this way so I'm not trying to control these random purchases.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I have a bit of a problem myself in that I apparently have 363 games in my steam library and another 176 on gog and cannot possibly play them all. I figured out that the problem stems from that I used to live in poverty and had alot of trouble getting a job and could not get anything let alone what I wanted. Now that I have no problems affording them I have turned into a giant impulse buyer. But at least it's not like the ps3 and 360, I don't have to worry about backwards compatibility. I WILL play them at some point but yeah I've cut off buying anything console / pc game related. Meh, not really. I'll buy whatevers cheap and catches my eye. Who am I kidding?!

Jayemsal

Dec 28, 2012
During summer and winter sales, Steam becomes Bane to my wallet's Batman.

Otherwise, they're lucky to get a Skyrim DLC purchase from me.