steam question

felixdan1

Sep 12, 2010
i have posted this on the steam forums but i want a quick answer and knowing you awesome guys are generally helpful i wanna know whether u can get a game like call of duty 4 and link it to steam. not just add it as a steam game but make it as if u downloaded it onto steam(mstly so i can invite friends to join my games easily) if not tell me if so tell me how. thanks in advance

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I assume so. There's a little button that says 'Add games to Steam', isn't there?

Not sure though; I don't use it much.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
You can only shortcut non-Steam games into Steam. They're not compatible with the Jump-In function supported by 1st or 3rd-party Steam games.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
Yeah, to play multiplayer through Steam with Steam friends, you need to buy it from Steam...

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
felixdan1 said:
i have posted this on the steam forums but i want a quick answer and knowing you awesome guys are generally helpful i wanna know whether u can get a game like call of duty 4 and link it to steam. not just add it as a steam game but make it as if u downloaded it onto steam(mstly so i can invite friends to join my games easily) if not tell me if so tell me how. thanks in advance
Well, that all depends on whether or not the game you want is on this list:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

If so, you can enter the CD-key into Steam and it gets added to your library as though you purchased it via steam. Again, it's limited to only whats there (and there's a mention that COD4 won't work), but it is handy to know.

Hope that helps.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Wuffykins said:
felixdan1 said:
Well, that all depends on whether or not the game you want is on this list:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

If so, you can enter the CD-key into Steam and it gets added to your library as though you purchased it via steam. Again, it's limited to only whats there (and there's a mention that COD4 won't work), but it is handy to know.

Hope that helps.
This does not work unless the CD-Key is steam-friendly, and they have to be specifically designed to be so, usually requiring you have steam installed.

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
Trolldor said:
This does not work unless the CD-Key is steam-friendly, and they have to be specifically designed to be so, usually requiring you have steam installed.
Umm yeah. That's why I posted the a link showing which CD-Keys work under Steam...