Steam Sale Oddities

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
So I was browsing some bundles on steam and came across this

And was nearly about to buy until I looked at the pricing. :/

So it's cheaper to buy individually than in the bundle? Kind of misses the point of a bundle :)

Fellow escapists, what are the Steam oddities you've seen so far.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
That issue is because the bundle itself has a separate discount from the 2 different discounts of the games included. Usually bundles aren't differently discounted.

So in the spirit of that, I suppose pointing out that the Valve bundle takes into account games you have from it and subtracts the cost, but other bundles don't. I understand that since Steam is Valve, they don't need permission, but I wish all bundles did that, so that I'm not being jipped by using bundles to finish a collection I already started.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Buying The Witcher 3 bundled with the expansion pass is about 26 cents (or thereabouts, I don't remember the exact price) more expensive than buying them separately.

Also, maybe not the same sort of oddity, but I found it interesting that DOOM is at such a relatively low price considering how new of a game it is. Especially since Bethesda is comparatively pretty stingy when it comes to discounting Skyrim or Fallout 3/New Vegas.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Also, maybe not the same sort of oddity, but I found it interesting that DOOM is at such a relatively low price considering how new of a game it is. Especially since Bethesda is comparatively pretty stingy when it comes to discounting Skyrim or Fallout 3/New Vegas.
Doom has been on sale since it's second week out, at one location or another. It's truly bizarre.

LordLundar said:
AccursedTheory said:
That sale percentage... what an odd coincidence!
Considering the devs, there is no coincidence. :)
You're right. It's obviously a homage to the Bryan Adam's Summer of '69.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
My favourite - and probably intentional one - is Team Fortress 2 being 75% off from Free to Play.

That's right, a 75% discount, so your Free to Play game is now Free to Play.

(presumably it's also because it's included in the Orange Box which is also 75% off and actually costs money, but it's still hilarious seeing '-75%: Free to Play' next to TF2 in the store)

Zemaddog

Nov 20, 2013
RikuoAmero said:
So...did you buy that and find you were GIVEN money back, or had funds added to your steam wallet?
When I went onto all of the individual pages there was literally no option to buy any of them. I have no idea what Steam was doing. They appear to have fixed this glitch though.

It definitely would have been nice to receive money for adding a game to my Steam library though.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Zemaddog said:
RikuoAmero said:
So...did you buy that and find you were GIVEN money back, or had funds added to your steam wallet?
When I went onto all of the individual pages there was literally no option to buy any of them. I have no idea what Steam was doing. They appear to have fixed this glitch though.

It definitely would have been nice to receive money for adding a game to my Steam library though.
Yeah every sale there are always a few games with >100% discount.
Sadly never worked.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
AccursedTheory said:

I noticed the same thing with Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015. 69% off just seems kind of silly and maybe a little inappropriate.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
AccursedTheory said:

Heh. They did the same thing during the gog.com summer sale.

Everything was a multiple of 5% or 33%... except for one. xD

May 28, 2015
When I was about to buy Toki Tori 2+, someone pointed out that the Two Tribes Pack actually cost less than that one game alone. I hear it happens often, but it's usually fixed within minutes.

Wrex Brogan said:
My favourite - and probably intentional one - is Team Fortress 2 being 75% off from Free to Play.
I found it amusing that all "Featured Free To Play Games" have a price and discount percent. I know they're for DLC's, but the links lead to those DLC's, not the free-to-play game.