Steam Sale!

Jun 10, 2011
I want to buy a game (or several) during the autumn Steam sale but I don't know what to get. Mostly I'm looking to get something with a good, engaging story.

I'm playing on a newish macbook pro so it obviously has to be Mac compatible and not too graphically intensive. I'm mostly thinking indie style games like Papers, Please which I just bought or The Walking Dead, which I also just bought.

Thank you guys! I kind of hope this turns into a favorite games on Steam thread because they have so much stuff I've never heard of and a lot of it can be terrible.

The games I have on my computer already are:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent,

Bastion,

Braid,

Counter-Strike: Source

Droid Assault

FTL

Garry's Mod

Half Life 2, Ep. 1&2

Hotline Miami

Killing Floor

Portal 1&2

Revenge of the Titans

Civ IV

Civ V

TF2

Titan Attacks

Ultratron

World of Goo

Papers, Please

The Walking Dead

Thanks!

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
If you're looking for an engaging story, you might be interested in Analogue: A Hate Story. It takes place deep into the future, where space travel and colony ships exist. The story is centred around the mystery of an abandoned colony ship called the Mugunghwa. The protagonist, with the aid of the ships AI personalities, must uncover the ship's strange past. There's a sequel to it too, called Hate Plus. I have yet to play that game however. The thing is, these games are visual novels, so there is very little gameplay to speak of.

I recently bought Gunpoint when it was on a flash sale yesterday, and I'm very happy I did. The game's a blast. And surprisingly to me, its story is quite interesting. I wonder how things will turn out, being a double agent of sorts.

EDIT: I should mention that Gunpoint does not have a Mac version. Not yet, at least. Analogue however, is currently available for Mac.

Sep 14, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
I am getting a gaming rig soon and I partook in my first Steam sale (late to the party I know, going to start PC gaming soon) and I snagged Bioshock Infinite (7 euro) Dark Souls PtD Edition (5.99 euro) and Counter Strike GO (3.50 euro) My PC can't play the first 2, so I will have them on my account and I will put them on my gaming rig when I get it.
pah, you think this is a steam sale?!?!?

winter is coming :D your wallet is about to be destroyed

OT: kotor 2 is on sale right now, definitely one of my favorite story games of all time!

personally i picked up terrarria to see what all the fuss was about, and i found the game extremely boring; last time i ever listen to one of my friends...

The

Jan 24, 2012
XCOM Enemy Unknown. The main storyline itself is kinda loose, but the stories and personalities you imagine for your soldiers are even better. If you liked Civilization, you'll probably like this.

I also recommend Counter Strike: Global Offensive. It's not the engaging story you're looking for, but it ran really well on my Mac, and is pretty cheap right now.

I only played the demo, but Torchlight 2 is pretty awesome as well.

Sep 14, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
gmaverick019 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
I am getting a gaming rig soon and I partook in my first Steam sale (late to the party I know, going to start PC gaming soon) and I snagged Bioshock Infinite (7 euro) Dark Souls PtD Edition (5.99 euro) and Counter Strike GO (3.50 euro) My PC can't play the first 2, so I will have them on my account and I will put them on my gaming rig when I get it.
pah, you think this is a steam sale?!?!?

winter is coming :D your wallet is about to be destroyed
I know, looking forward to it, thankfully, my wallet is quite deep right now after doing some odd jobs and I should be able to get my rig before Christmas, just need to look around and see if I can find good parts cheap.

I've seen Steam sales, hopefully I will buy only what I want, not what is just cheap...

But we all know I'll cave...
since you are seemingly new to the pc world, I'll recommend these for you too:

greenmangaming.com ------ 90% of the time they are just selling steam product keys, but they have better deals sometimes also, so it's a good website to pay attention to

amazon ---- they surprisingly have a good digital pc game market, often times they will bundle multiple games together and sell it for dirt cheap over the winter holidays, like right now you can get all the xcoms (minus the huge new expansion) for like 9-10 bucks (not sure what that translates to in euro's.

while steam is great, it is not the "end all be all" of sales, and often times one of those two places might have it for a better deal.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
I would also recommend subscribing to GoodOldGames for some timeless classics.

As for specific games to recommend, I'm not sure on that front. I sunk many hours in Mount & Blade: Warband but it's not a game for everyone (medieval sandbox, make your own story). Knight of the Old Republic are both awesome (especially with some mods, restoration mod for 2 is a must). If you're into older games with good stories and don't mind old graphics, then there are always classics like Baldur's Gate series (now in Enhanced Edition), Planescape: Torment and Gothic series (first two are great, third is kinda meh and there is no Gothic 4, don't let anyone tell you otherwise).

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die was day or two back 80% off Flash sale. Apparently it's one of the worst ports currently made, but I still got it for future interest.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Auberon said:
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die was day or two back 80% off Flash sale. Apparently it's one of the worst ports currently made, but I still got it for future interest.
It's easily remedied with DSfix http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix though, so no need sadface!

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I got the fireworks gun in Saints Row IV for 79 cents. I also got a Steam code for Dishonored for $5, instead of $7.50 from Steam itself. I'm holding off on the Dubstep Gun remix and games on my Wishlist for the Christmas sale.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
I'm holding off for the Christmas sale since I have plenty of games to play at the moment. Dishonored for $7.49 looks pretty appetizing though...

I was in the mood for some racing games, and in particular, Dirt 2 but apparently it's not even on Steam anymore along with Fuel.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I'd be thankful if anyone would gift me rage's scorchers DLC in this most special occasion

I didnt get shit
for one, process is too damn complicated and I alreadu got burned 3 times in a row with it
and I also already used the money that I would've otherwise used for the sale

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into a Steam sa-SKYRIM LEGENDARY EDITION FOR £10! PORTAL 1 AND 2 FOR UNDER £5 SURGEON SIMULATOR FOR LESS THAN £2! I got all of the above as well as Terraria (even though I already have Skyrim and all associated DLC for PS3, but I wanted to try the mods, I can have the Green Arrow as a companion and Mandelorian armour that is awesome to me)too bad there weren't any mega-cheap RTS's that would have been awesome, I was also tempted by Dishonoured, but that game, while good, didn't really blow me away when I got it at launch on PS3, so maybe another time if there is one, this was my first steam sale, not long had a gaming rig, loving it so far

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
The timing of this is insane as I just got my Tax rebate and my student loan payment. I have already picked up Fallout New Vagas, Saints Row 4, Max Pain 3 and Splinter Cel Blacklist so I am set for a while.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
I got Super Hexagon and Electric Super Joy.

Two cute little indie games that excel in their presentation, are ideal for short sessions and cost less than ? 2,10. Hell, I waste more on vending machines in a day! Also, they can be quite challenging, so if you're allergic to a little bit of trail & error, you might want to think twice.

Nah, screw that! Less than ? 2,10 dude, what are you waiting for?!

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Havent got anything so far as there is nothing I wanted except FFVII but I already have 3 copies of that so no more are really needed especially with the additional DRM.

I did get Vampire the Masquerade in the steam sale for Halloween still cost me 4 pounds for a game I have to patch to get to work but ill put up with it this time as I have wanted the game for ages.

My Steam library of 4 games is pretty much complete now for the forseeable future I find the sales pretty easy to ignore mainly because there is little I want TBH.