Steam Star Wars sale recommendations

Kilroy17

Jul 18, 2011
Steam is having a "May the 4th be with you" sale and it seems like a good time to pick up a Star Wars game. However, I don't really know the game franchise too well and I'm hoping for some recommendations on what to get. I'm quite open regarding whether it's third person or rts or whatever, I just want to know the better games of the franchise that you'd recommend.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
Battlefront II, KOTOR, Jedi Knight Acadamy and Outcast, Republic Commando, KOTOR 2, and the Force Unleashed, in my opinion, is fun.

You're better of buying the franchise pack, haha. I've played almost all the games on there, so I'm not getting it, but all the games I mentioned I really like. There's also Empire at War, which is a strategy game. My brother used to play it a lot, but I never touched it as a kid.

Have fun. By that, I mean a shit ton of fun.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Grab the Empire at War RTS gold pack and stick the ACM [http://empireatwar.filefront.com/file/Absolute_Corruption_mod;97499] on that bad boy. Kabewm. More fun than shooting down pigeons with a turbolaser.

EDIT: It re-scales a lot of things physically and mechanically, while adding a lot of new ships.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
If you enjoy old school fps in the vein of Doom, give Dark Forces a try. It's one of the best games of its kind, right up there with Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior and of course Doom itself

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Minus Republic Heroes (which I've not actually played), the entire collection is actually pretty damn solid.

Dark Forces uses DOSBox, as it's a fairly ancient game at this point, but I believe I read somewhere that the Steam version of the game has been updated to use a modern control scheme (the original release was long before WASD and mouse-look were standard for FPS games) which means it should be fairly easy to pick up and play without too much messing around. It's old-school, but still holds up pretty darn well.

Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight might be a little more tricky. I don't know how much the Steam version of the game has been updated, but in a general sense Dark Forces II is a pain in the ass to get running on modern PCs, and ATI graphics cards using Catalyst drivers more recent than 13.1 or the 13.2 Beta 7 (which are dreadfully old) crash the game if you try playing with 3D Acceleration (and without it, it looks... old). Dark Forces II takes the Dark Forces formula and then switches things up by giving you a lightsaber and Force powers a few levels into the game, and implements something of a morality system by which you can kill innocents to build toward the Dark Side if you want, and there are separate powers each for the Dark and Light Sides of the Force. Also, the game actually has two different endings depending on which side you end up being.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the expansion Mysteries of the Sith, but that's mostly because it has the same engine troubles as Dark Forces II and looks even worse using software rendering.

Jedi Knight II is a bit more modern. It still uses old-school shield-and-health system by which you need to find health stations and bacta tanks to regenerate your health (or use the Force once you can), still gives you guns and a lightsaber, etc. etc., but adds in multiple stances for the lightsaber combat which have different attacks, and different strengths and weaknesses.

And then Jedi Academy is the last title in the Dark Forces series, though it focuses on a different main character (which you can choose yourself from a moderate character customization screen) and has a much greater focus on the lightsaber combat than any of the preceding titles, even going so far as to eventually allow you to either dual-wield lightsabers or use a double-bladed one (I believe the campaign lets you do that; It's been a while).

Then there's Battlefront II, which is absolutely fantastic and a bit hard to explain. It's a... grand warfare game, I suppose. The actual battles take place on rather large maps, and can include either being on foot as a foot-soldier or speeding across the grounds, through air, or through space in vehicles. It works on a class system for the units, and you're basically playing a third- or first-person shooter version of an actual Risk battle, whereby each side of the conflict has a certain amount of reinforcements and you're trying to deplete the opponent's before your own are gone. Maybe somebody else can describe it better, but it's pretty damn good.

Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic II are, of course, D&D-inspired RPGs made by Bioware and Obsidian respectively set long before the timeframe of the films. They are extremely solid titles, especially if you like old CRPG combat, but a word of warning that they may not be the most stable on your system. Particularly KotOR II, which was notoriously released in an unfinished state, literally. Speaking of which, if you do pick it up, do check out the Sith Lords Restored Content Mod for KotOR II, as it's a pretty big mod which aims to reintroduce all of the things that had to be cut from the game because Lucasarts told Obsidian to suck it up and release the game sooner.

Republic Commando is a tactical first-person shooter. While it's not the most complicated or difficult one around, it's damn competent at what it does and really makes you feel like you're in command of a squad of elite soldiers. It does have a few issues with modern systems, such as having Bump Mapping turned on in the options crashing the game when you try to start up a new game or needing to be tweaked to support widescreen resolutions and having dismal mouse acceleration in the menus (thankfully mostly absent from the actual game), but that's mostly stuff you can easily tweak by checking out its PCGamingWiki [http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Republic_Commando] page. (I would recommend checking out the PCGamingWiki pages for most of the other games if you have issues, too, as it happens.)

And I've not actually played Starfighter or Empire at War, but I'm led to believe they're a pretty decent flight sim and pretty damn good RTS respectively.

Then we come to The Force Unleashed, which is... basically the black horse of the collection. Personally, I don't think the games are that bad, but they've got a lot of problems. The combat is the high point, thankfully, but it doesn't really open up early enough in the game and can become fairly repetitive, fairly quickly. Which wouldn't be too much of an issue if the level designs weren't incredibly odd and visually non-distinct; Seriously, The Force Unleashed is one of the only games I've played in the last few years where I actually got turned around and ended up lost, and it's not really that complicated in the first place. But the biggest problem, with both games, is probably the length. The Force Unleashed is already an incredibly short game (roughly six hours or so for most people on a single play-through), but The Force Unleashed II somehow manages to be even shorter. And honestly, the story is pretty forgettable. Aside from being the same fare stuff like Dark Forces II already tread over a decade earlier, it's just not very well written or handled, and mostly serves to drag down the otherwise pretty solid gameplay. Also, the UI is pretty bad. As in, "How the hell do I open my upgrades menu, WHY AREN'T YOU TELLING ME THIS, GAME!?!?!?" bad.

And I haven't played Republic Heroes, but it's gotten overwhelmingly negative response from pretty much everyone, so I don't feel that I really need to.

Sep 14, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Minus Republic Heroes (which I've not actually played), the entire collection is actually pretty damn solid.

Dark Forces uses DOSBox, as it's a fairly ancient game at this point, but I believe I read somewhere that the Steam version of the game has been updated to use a modern control scheme (the original release was long before WASD and mouse-look were standard for FPS games) which means it should be fairly easy to pick up and play without too much messing around. It's old-school, but still holds up pretty darn well.

Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight might be a little more tricky. I don't know how much the Steam version of the game has been updated, but in a general sense Dark Forces II is a pain in the ass to get running on modern PCs, and ATI graphics cards using Catalyst drivers more recent than 13.1 or the 13.2 Beta 7 (which are dreadfully old) crash the game if you try playing with 3D Acceleration (and without it, it looks... old). Dark Forces II takes the Dark Forces formula and then switches things up by giving you a lightsaber and Force powers a few levels into the game, and implements something of a morality system by which you can kill innocents to build toward the Dark Side if you want, and there are separate powers each for the Dark and Light Sides of the Force. Also, the game actually has two different endings depending on which side you end up being.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the expansion Mysteries of the Sith, but that's mostly because it has the same engine troubles as Dark Forces II and looks even worse using software rendering.

Jedi Knight II is a bit more modern. It still uses old-school shield-and-health system by which you need to find health stations and bacta tanks to regenerate your health (or use the Force once you can), still gives you guns and a lightsaber, etc. etc., but adds in multiple stances for the lightsaber combat which have different attacks, and different strengths and weaknesses.

And then Jedi Academy is the last title in the Dark Forces series, though it focuses on a different main character (which you can choose yourself from a moderate character customization screen) and has a much greater focus on the lightsaber combat than any of the preceding titles, even going so far as to eventually allow you to either dual-wield lightsabers or use a double-bladed one (I believe the campaign lets you do that; It's been a while).

Then there's Battlefront II, which is absolutely fantastic and a bit hard to explain. It's a... grand warfare game, I suppose. The actual battles take place on rather large maps, and can include either being on foot as a foot-soldier or speeding across the grounds, through air, or through space in vehicles. It works on a class system for the units, and you're basically playing a third- or first-person shooter version of an actual Risk battle, whereby each side of the conflict has a certain amount of reinforcements and you're trying to deplete the opponent's before your own are gone. Maybe somebody else can describe it better, but it's pretty damn good.

Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic II are, of course, D&D-inspired RPGs made by Bioware and Obsidian respectively set long before the timeframe of the films. They are extremely solid titles, especially if you like old CRPG combat, but a word of warning that they may not be the most stable on your system. Particularly KotOR II, which was notoriously released in an unfinished state, literally. Speaking of which, if you do pick it up, do check out the Sith Lords Restored Content Mod for KotOR II, as it's a pretty big mod which aims to reintroduce all of the things that had to be cut from the game because Lucasarts told Obsidian to suck it up and release the game sooner.

Republic Commando is a tactical first-person shooter. While it's not the most complicated or difficult one around, it's damn competent at what it does and really makes you feel like you're in command of a squad of elite soldiers. It does have a few issues with modern systems, such as having Bump Mapping turned on in the options crashing the game when you try to start up a new game or needing to be tweaked to support widescreen resolutions and having dismal mouse acceleration in the menus (thankfully mostly absent from the actual game), but that's mostly stuff you can easily tweak by checking out its PCGamingWiki [http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Republic_Commando] page. (I would recommend checking out the PCGamingWiki pages for most of the other games if you have issues, too, as it happens.)

And I've not actually played Starfighter or Empire at War, but I'm led to believe they're a pretty decent flight sim and pretty damn good RTS respectively.

Then we come to The Force Unleashed, which is... basically the black horse of the collection. Personally, I don't think the games are that bad, but they've got a lot of problems. The combat is the high point, thankfully, but it doesn't really open up early enough in the game and can become fairly repetitive, fairly quickly. Which wouldn't be too much of an issue if the level designs weren't incredibly odd and visually non-distinct; Seriously, The Force Unleashed is one of the only games I've played in the last few years where I actually got turned around and ended up lost, and it's not really that complicated in the first place. But the biggest problem, with both games, is probably the length. The Force Unleashed is already an incredibly short game (roughly six hours or so for most people on a single play-through), but The Force Unleashed II somehow manages to be even shorter. And honestly, the story is pretty forgettable. Aside from being the same fare stuff like Dark Forces II already tread over a decade earlier, it's just not very well written or handled, and mostly serves to drag down the otherwise pretty solid gameplay. Also, the UI is pretty bad. As in, "How the hell do I open my upgrades menu, WHY AREN'T YOU TELLING ME THIS, GAME!?!?!?" bad.

And I haven't played Republic Heroes, but it's gotten overwhelmingly negative response from pretty much everyone, so I don't feel that I really need to.
just going to quote and agree wholeheartedly with this.

but for my own personal recommendations if you can only play a few of the games

battlefront II-great for big shooter battles, really makes you feel the scope of star wars...wars.

kotor 1 and 2- both are amazing crpg's that really capture star wars and take it to the next level

jedi academy- simply great and fluid lightsaber combat, a whole ton of fun once you get the hang of it.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Knights of the Old Republic is, in my opinion, the best game ever made. Wonderful Bioware storytelling with a new scene in the sense of a completely different setting for Star Wars, and you can shoot lightning and get lightsabers.

KotOR 2 with the restoration mod is almost as good, and overall, they both fill the role of a deep RPG while simultaneously making my inner, nostalgia filled self giddy with glee because its fucking Star Wars.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Going to have to recommend Republic Commando if you are into shooters (Battlefront 2 and the Jedi Knight series are also very good).

Republic Commando is great if you are interested in a grittier look of the Star Wars universe (without the ham or lameness present in The Force Unleashed), being a unique game among the other Star Wars games.

wswordsmen

Mar 27, 2009
SourMilk said:
Take Empire at War as Your Mileage May Vary simply because it uses the same engine used for Age of Empires 1 and 2. So, if you liked Age of Empires it will be familiar but if you didn't it isn't any different.
That's Galactic Battlegrounds. Empire at War uses the Alamo Engine.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
SourMilk said:
Take Empire at War as Your Mileage May Vary simply because it uses the same engine used for Age of Empires 1 and 2. So, if you liked Age of Empires it will be familiar but if you didn't it isn't any different.
You're getting Empire At War confused with Galactic Battlegrounds. Galactic Battlegrounds is the AoEII reskin, while EaW runs on its own engine and has a galactic map where you build units and move them between planets, and then loads into space or ground battles when you run into the enemy.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
SourMilk said:
Sure you're not thinking of Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds?

Battlegrounds was an RTS that felt very much like Age of Empires, while Empire at War feels quite different, what with it's 3D space battles and such.

Dammit, double ninja'd. Nerds.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
I have come to not trust Steam when it comes to older games. But since none of these are on Gog, I suppose this is your only option

The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight/Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy games are good but I don't think they aged particularly well. I remember loving Jedi Outcast when it was relatively new but I played Jedi Academy a few years ago and got bored of the game before I finished it, and the game is already pretty short.

I know I'm alone on this, but I thought the KOTOR games were awful. I love Star Wars and I love RPGs, they should be perfect for me. I played through the first one (after messing around with the game files to keep it from crashing constantly) and just felt bored and unengaged the whole time, with a cast of characters I didn't care about at all, a story that I found predictable and uninteresting, and a villain I found to be almost comical. I played the second game for a while and liked it a bit more...but even after messing around with files and installing the restoration mod, about three hours in to the game a bug popped up that would cause the game to crash any time I tried to load any of my saves, making the game effectively over for me.
With KOTOR, I think when it was new a lot of aspects of it were amazing and groundbreaking, but by now everything it did so well back in like 2004, has been done better by so many other games. They're probably still worth giving a try, just keep in mind they aren't the most stable games and try to keep your, "best game ever made!" expectations in check

Gary Thompson

Aug 29, 2011
Where's Galactic Battlegrounds? I want to get that game but the only way to get it is by pirating, something I don't want to do.

GOG needs to get GB on their site.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
gmaverick019 said:
I already have most of those games in various formats, but a non-gaming friend of mine once said he was floored by Jedi Academy,which I've never played. Would you agree? He's the type of guy who refuses to try KOTOR, and It's hard to tell when it's nostalgia talking.

I know, it's super cheap right now, but I hate buying games I never play.

*EDIT* No, I think he was talking about Outcast?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
KOTOR, Battlefront and Empire at War would be my personal choices of the SW sales.

KOTOR: Bioware style rpgs and quite a few mods for both games, the restored content mod for KOTOR II being a must have in particular.

Battlefront 2: People still play this online if thats your thing but the sp campaign alone is worth it imo, plus how often do you get to play as the stormtroopers killing rebels and jedis? ;)

Empire at war: Decent star wars RTS.

Sep 14, 2009
FizzyIzze said:
gmaverick019 said:
I already have most of those games in various formats, but a non-gaming friend of mine once said he was floored by Jedi Academy,which I've never played. Would you agree? He's the type of guy who refuses to try KOTOR, and It's hard to tell when it's nostalgia talking.

I didn't play outcast much, it wasn't TOO dated...just a bit dated for me to get into. So I won't speak on its behalf :-/

academy concentrates much more on lightsabers, and sure you can do your typical hack'n'slash just spam swing everything until it dies BUT there is a definite learning curve for some of the mini bosses where you need to swing in the right motions and time your slices (it's hard to explain, but it was the first time I felt like lightsaber combat was fun and skilled rather than just spam swing until something drops dead)

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
gmaverick019 said:
FizzyIzze said:
gmaverick019 said:

I didn't play outcast much, it wasn't TOO dated...just a bit dated for me to get into. So I won't speak on its behalf :-/

academy concentrates much more on lightsabers, and sure you can do your typical hack'n'slash just spam swing everything until it dies BUT there is a definite learning curve for some of the mini bosses where you need to swing in the right motions and time your slices (it's hard to explain, but it was the first time I felt like lightsaber combat was fun and skilled rather than just spam swing until something drops dead)
Thank you. I emailed my friend asking which game because I want to try and see it from his viewpoint as a non-gamer. Thankfully, I still have around 40 hours left on the sale.

However, it seems that Jedi Academy is the way to go, regardless. The whole keyboard/timing element sounds intriguing.

Sep 14, 2009
FizzyIzze said:
gmaverick019 said:
FizzyIzze said:
gmaverick019 said:

Thank you. I emailed my friend asking which game because I want to try and see it from his viewpoint as a non-gamer. Thankfully, I still have around 40 hours left on the sale.

However, it seems that Jedi Academy is the way to go, regardless. The whole keyboard/timing element sounds intriguing.
once again, without playing it, it's hard to explain what I mean about the combat, but here is a multiplayer video of the game that shows off the combat, it's loose and fluid, and you can stand there swinging/blocking away for 20 minutes, but until you get that perfect slice, the opponent might not die.

(I only played the single player and thought it was fun, but the gameplay is pretty much the same minus how many jedi are running around)

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
gmaverick019 said:
Well, it looks like I'm getting The Jedi Knight Collection. I can't believe I never ran across Jedi Academy before. Thanks again, man. You sold me :p