Steam Summer Sale started today

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
UPDATE: I was right, the sale started today. Our poor wallets.

Lock up your kids and hide the silverware, the steam summer sale is just set to start within the next week. Supposedly Valve is having the sale early so as to not interfere with a MOBA thing next month. The sale is set to start on the 19th and will run for two weeks.

While it is still unconfirmed, there have been multiple sources for it and after seeing how small the number of games in the weeklong deal announcement was today I thought I'd pass it along.

For discussion value: has moving up the date on the sale unannounced changed what you were going to spend this year?

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/05/steam-summer-sale-in-mid-june-leaked-image-suggests

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/16/steam-summer-sale-2014_n_5499312.html

(Sorry if this was posted before, I did a forum search and came up empty handed.)

HoFT013

Oct 28, 2010
I have $40 in my Steam Wallet. I'm ready for the hundreds of games it'll buy me.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
HoFT013 said:
I have $40 in my Steam Wallet. I'm ready for the hundreds of games it'll buy me.
I just happen to have $12 in mine, but I'll probably add a little more via steam card once the sale gets going. There are only a couple of must-buy games for me at the moment, but with as much crap as I have on my wishlist there's still quite a bit I'll be keeping an eye out for.

Mainly I just want to get goat simulator. :p

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
uhg. I hate this. the Canadian Dollar us shit right now. 0.92 down compared to the US. So that means it I want something that costs $59.99 I need $65.99. I HATE this. Though happy for steam sale. better on my wallet ;)

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I think they'll try to push last year's record and start the summer sales in October. Then things will slowly continue to drift until the summer sales are hitting at Christmas, and then they'll have a huge "Summer in December" sale event with their most incredible sales ever. Then things will slowly come around again, and the summer sales will forever exist in an irregular orbit that brings them back to their true time only once every 12 years.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Lilani said:
I think they'll try to push last year's record and start the summer sales in October. Then things will slowly continue to drift until the summer sales are hitting at Christmas, and then they'll have a huge "Summer in December" sale event with their most incredible sales ever. Then things will slowly come around again, and the summer sales will forever exist in an irregular orbit that brings them back to their true time only once every 12 years.
I bet the Mayan's already put it on their calendar cycle. (That seriously had me laughing pretty hard.)

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
A possible Steam sale, you say? Just around the corner, you say?

I have stocked up. I am prepared. I can do this. Here's hoping the wishlist games go up on sale...[small]yesyesyesyesyesyesyes![/small]

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Nice! I've been enjoying GOG's Summer sale, scooping up a few of the games I've wanted on the cheap (and, better yet, DRM-free). A few of these are games I think I might tire of quickly, but I'd only be out $2.50 if that's the case. Hopefully I can net several more in a Steam sale that aren't available on GOG. ;)

Even if this turns out to be a rumor, thanks for the heads-up, OP!

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I believe this rumour. A small indie game recently announced that they were no longer going to release there game on the 20th of June as had originally been intended, for reasons beyond their control that they couldn't disclose. Instead they're releasing on the 2o something of July which is immediately after the Steam sale traditionally ends.

I was trying to work out what might cause a small indie game to be delayed like this when the reason definitely isn't bugs/deadlines etc. There has been no announcement of a big game moving in to take that slot, and just how far back they're pushing their release date makes me think it's probably something that carries on.

No-one would want to launch a game during the steam sale. That would be suicide right? So this is exactly the sort of thing that might have caused such a delay and yet required secrecy

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
My birthday is in mid July so right in the thick of the Steam summer sale so I usually treat myself to a few games so it looks like this year I won't have the excuse of splurging....I'll probably splurge anyway though it looks like there are only a handful of games I want this year.

Gankytim

May 14, 2014
My F5 key is ready.

Seriously though, I feel it. Steam's not going to suddenly decide that they shouldn't do a sale, especially with Origin and GOG, their only true competitors engaging in massive sales right now.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
I wasn't planning on getting Watch Dogs but the recent mod that unlocked hidden graphical effects made me interested. I might pick it up if I see it %50 off. Otherwise I want to pick up Child of Light and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
Gankytim said:
My F5 key is ready.

Seriously though, I feel it. Steam's not going to suddenly decide that they shouldn't do a sale, especially with Origin and GOG, their only true competitors engaging in massive sales right now.
I'm not sure about Origin, since I don't use it, but I seem to remember GoG and Greenman gaming having sales the same time as Steam.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
porous_shield said:
Gankytim said:
My F5 key is ready.

I'm not sure about Origin, since I don't use it, but I seem to remember GoG and Greenman gaming having sales the same time as Steam.
GMG's sale finished yesterday, GameFly's one ended some time towards the end of last week, GOG are having theirs right now, as are Gamer's Gate. I don't think Steam would overlap with anybody now. In fact, other services have seemed to wish to avoid it, though Steam and somebody did have sales at the same time (then again, Steam's sale was, like, 10 days long or something).

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Hm...

Going to purchase XCOM for a friend, but otherwise I can't think of much that's Steam-exclusive that I'm too innarested in.

...Wish Ironclad Tactics would release a DRM free version already, but already I hear that's got the multiplayer stripped out.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Damn I was expecting mid July for the sale, as I was hoping to have a few more games from the backlog finished up before the sale starts but GOGs sale put an end to that notion. That said I think I will be getting a couple of games I missed in the last 12 months of so depending on how deep the discounts are, so maybe by wallet will pull through relatively unscathed this year.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
oh yeh I forgot about that.
Last year people said the sale was 'soon' in about early June then every week it was still no sale, still no sale, STILL no god dam sale, then it finally started about late July.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Sweet.

For me Steam is pretty much a delivery service for games I didn't really care enough about to buy at full price. So I'm interested to see what's going to be available this time around.