Steam - Worth it, or overpriced?

Librarian Mike

May 16, 2008
popdafoo said:
Definitely worth it. Not just old games that are cheap, Steam has tons of sales on new games. A couple of months after it came out, I got Left 4 Dead for 25 dollars on a Steam sale when GameStop was still selling it for 50. Also, you need it to play Valve games. It's very useful and worth the download.
I got Left 4 Dead that same weekend too. Great deal. As a general rule, I'd say their stuff is comparable to that of a store. What I like too about using Steam or GOG or whatever is not having all that packaging as well.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
I would probably use steam if I had no alternative... I don't like buying digital copies of games...

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
hell yes get it!!! I've saved a fortune on games because of all their sales and pre-download specials...

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
Steam is pretty convenient, but I'd rather get a saving by shopping around for better deals. There are always better deals, son!

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
Steam

Pros 1. Not over pirced.
2. You can find the games without taking an hour standing around looking at a shelf.
3. They always have games in stock, can't run out of downloads.
4. They have sales that actually do something the prices.
5. You don't need to waist gas going to the mall.
6. All you need is internet to get games.
7. Will let you download the game over for free if you get a new computer or laptop.

Cons 1. You need high speed connection or the download takes 6 hours.
2. Sometimes the news alerts can be annoying.
3. The surprise you on sells so you could by the game early and next few days I could be half pice.
4. Valve is using it to takeover the gaming industry ( Don't know if that is bad thing Valve makes good games)
5. Most of the games are Xbox or Computer games. Needs some other company's games
6. Old games are fun but they are old and you have played them at one time.

Acaroid

Aug 11, 2008
thebrainiac1 said:
I'm thinking about starting to use steam - it seems like a good way of getting games hassle free.

But the games seem to come at a premium compared to normal prices, especially for games that are slightly older. On the other hand, it has a good number of 2+ year old games that would be near impossible to obtain legally, at a very good price.

Your thoughts, Escapists?
I find I can get alot of games for alot cheaper than in stores off steam (mind you im in australia), also as you said you can find alot of out of print games etc as they have a good library of games!

Apr 28, 2008
I would love it, if internet faster than dial-up was supported where I live...

On a decent internet its the greatest thing ever.

On a slow internet its a pain in the ass, and not of much use.

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
RicoADF said:
I hate steam and I only have it installed for Empire: Total War, the fact a game requires it even adds to the anoyance. It wastes resources for no reason as well as Hard Drive space. Having said that I'm someone that wont buy Digital download and prefers a hard copy over downloading, atleast then I have a physical object I can show for my $$ :).
How terrible is your computer that steam actually makes a difference to performance? :p

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Raregolddragon said:
Steam

4. Valve is using it to takeover the gaming industry ( Don't know if that is bad thing Valve makes good games)
5. Most of the games are Xbox or Computer games. Needs some other company's games
6. Old games are fun but they are old and you have played them at one time.
Those 3 make no sense.They not trying to take over gaming industry...It's not like Microsoft and Stardock aren't doing the same bloody thing. It's a new form of buying games and DRM.

Ahh...You are aware that Steam is only for PC so naturally...the games they sell will be for computer. What kind of logic is that?

Also:
2K Games
Activision
Aspyr Media, Inc.
Bethesda
Capcom
Codemasters
Eidos
Electronic Arts
Epic games, Inc
Focus Home, Interactive
iD Software
LucasArts
Majesco
Meridian4
MumboJumbo
NCsoft
NovaLogic
Paradox
Popcap
Rockstar
SEGA
Sony Online Entertainment
SouthPeak
Strategy
Telltale Games
THQ
Tilted Mill Entertainment, Inc.
Topware Interactive
Ubisoft
Valve
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Not to mention a shitstorm of indie companies

Over 700 games in total. The only companies missing are exclusive companies that don't develop for PC or companies that own their own Digital Distribution System like Stardock and Blizzard.

Also how can old games be a bad thing? Ish...actually your con list is completly wrong...those are not cons those are your personal pet peeves...

Steam cons:
1:If you don't have internet for a day you cannot log on to your games since you have to activate offline mode online.
2: Games that aren't by VALVe or old games/indie games are indeed overpriced.
3:The client sucks ass. It's the same client from 2004 with stuff ontop of it. Meaning that the program itself sometimes goes into stupid mode with blackouts and forgets what it was doing, cause Valve hasn't updated the damn client since release. So what STEAM is doing right now is something that it was never meant to do. Aka be a massive Digital Distribuition System. Original it was just planned to be a platform for VALVe games, NOT a 700 game library.
4: It can be a bicth to work with sometimes.
5: Downloads can and will most likely stop half way for no reason.

Can't think of anything else for now.

epicfailgamer

Mar 30, 2009
I find steam well worth the money. meny of time i find myself dropping my cds and damageing
them by acident now this pisses me off when that happens. i would rather put the extra to download it and not have to worry about my cds.

CitizenMac

May 20, 2009
Since you're paying in pounds, I'd say you're halfway OK. Steam is definitely a great service, it works well and it's much more convenient as a digital store than, say, the Games For Windows service. Plus, its bundles and special offers are usually pretty good value for money. It's when you're paying in Euros that things get rough, as the prices for new releases are simply unacceptable, as they're usually priced something like 10? above retail.

mathadawg

Jun 17, 2009
I have no problems with steam myslef. I've spent about $80 on steam games. I really love the sales. I've saved like $70 bucks on those sales. So, I've saved about as much as I spent (So basically, I've gotten like 50% off of store prices on almost everything I've gotten from steam) I also like it, because it has Paypal support which is nice.

If you're using foreign currency, then I'm not sure. it's not overpriced on anything for me, but I've heard that their conversions are really screwed up.

I say to install it. If you like it, then great. If you don't, then just uninstall it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
CoziestPigeon said:
RicoADF said:
I hate steam and I only have it installed for Empire: Total War, the fact a game requires it even adds to the anoyance. It wastes resources for no reason as well as Hard Drive space. Having said that I'm someone that wont buy Digital download and prefers a hard copy over downloading, atleast then I have a physical object I can show for my $$ :).
How terrible is your computer that steam actually makes a difference to performance? :p
lol, well it can run ArmA II on normal - high and A2 makes Crysis look conservative with system demands :p

FluffX

May 27, 2008
thebrainiac1 said:
FluffX said:
thebrainiac1 said:
I'm thinking about starting to use steam - it seems like a good way of getting games hassle free.

But the games seem to come at a premium compared to normal prices, especially for games that are slightly older. On the other hand, it has a good number of 2+ year old games that would be near impossible to obtain legally, at a very good price.

Which ISP do you use? (This is relevant and important.)
For the moment I'm with BT, and I usually GET around 2mb download speed.

Why is it important?
Some ISPs (Tiscali, for instance) block steam at certain times of the day.

Haven't heard anything about BT, so you should be safe though.

S53

Jul 18, 2009
No. And that's answer is based mostly on the fact that you need a reliable rig (read: reliable, not good)to run the damn thing.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
I'd recommend using stardock over steam, however I do use steam when necissary. I'm Australian and boxed copies of games here are a joke.

dallan262

Apr 24, 2008
thebrainiac1 said:
ratix2 said:
thebrainiac1 said:

quick question, but do you live in europe or the us? if your in europe then steam prices are usually higher than retail from what i understand. here in the us though they are usually the same price, and sometimes lower, than at retail. plus, the games ea has over steam (except crysis warhead) has no securom drm, so no activation limits if you get them over steam. others games still do though, but ea doesent use it for their steam releases.
I'm from England, and the prices I'm seeing seem a bit over retail.
I'll probably try it, for the benefits that you've all mentioned above, but I might chicken because you can't resell a downloaded game (I normally play thru once then resell on ebay).

im from scotland and i find the prices are the same or cheaper than retail

especially left 4 dead