Steam XCom Preorders Rocket to Reward Heaven

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Steam XCom Preorders Rocket to Reward Heaven

Steam is offering increasingly good swag, if enough people preorder XCom.

XCom: Enemy Unknown [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116096-XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Designer-Hopes-to-Honor-the-Original] is due October 11th, but in order to entice gamers into parting with their hard-earned before then Steam is offering extras in a Kickstarter-style rewards system. So far pre-orders have gotten 51% of the way to the first tier, but enough pre-orders could entitle customers to benefits up to and including a free game.

The first tier rewards you with the Elite Soldier Pack; essentially customizable skins for your cannon fodder. Would you like to send in your troops classic-style, with the blonde flat-top hairdo? Or customize armor sets, possibly even issuing Reaper and Hyperion gear? It can be done, once the meter reaches the first tier. The next tier reward is a Team Fortress 2 mod, giving the Pyro a somewhat bug-faced new look, putting the iconic blonde flat-top on pretty much everyone else and issuing special badges to all. The final tier, should enough pre-orders flood in, entitles customers to a free copy of Civilization 5, which can be gifted to another player if you happen to already have a copy.

XCom: Enemy Unknown, the remake of the classic man-versus-aliens strategy game, promises complex tactical combat and base-building resource management in the spirit of its predecessors. You, as XCom commander, get to defend the planet against the alien threat by deploying troops in combat zones, capturing and reverse-engineering alien tech, and striking back against the enemy. If you want to know more, best head over here. [http://store.steampowered.com/app/200510/]

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/06/pre-order-xcom-enemy-unknown-on-steam-unlock-rewards/]

Apr 28, 2008
I wondered how long it'd take for Publishers to try and incorporate something from kickstarter into their games.

I'm just surprised I didn't guess this sooner, what with the industry's hard-on for pre-order bonuses.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I recall the devs saying that the Soldier pack will be available to anyone who pre orders the game. Though I'm tempted to get the steam version for the hats, still think I'm going to get this game in a physical form...

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Cool, a tiered reward system? A FREE GA- oh, it's only Civ 5.

OK for those who don't have it already and don't want to play a better Civ game, I guess?
[/spoiled brat]

I kid, that's still pretty awesome.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I already pre-ordered my physical copy from Futureshop.
I got it for 45 bucks too!

Got the Elite Pack, The Artbook, a fold out poster, and that patch.
Which I will put on my backback

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
I recall the devs saying that the Soldier pack will be available to anyone who pre orders the game. Though I'm tempted to get the steam version for the hats, still think I'm going to get this game in a physical form...
It is.

I got the game at gamestop and I get the soldier pack and other stuff without the effort.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Teoes said:
Am I the only one who fully enjoyed Civ 5? Especially with gods and kings?

Was it as deep as Civ 4? Of course not, but it was still fun and kinda like Civ lite if you don't feel like putting as much time into it.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Greg, the Community manager at 2K, has said that all steam pre-orders will get the Elite Soldier Pack regardless of how many buy it early.

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?132641-Don-t-worry-you-still-get-Elite-Soldier-Pack-guaranteed-with-Steam!

I just got word from the team that I can personally guarantee that all Steam pre-orders will get the Elite Soldier Pack. If by some strange horrible anti-miracle we don't reach tier 1, we'll be sure to get the ESP to all of you anyway.

So, that's at least some reassurance that the 1 pre-order bonus people actually want will be in it :)

I don't play TF2 and already own Civ5, so I'm leaning towards a day-1 purchase at my local GAME store. Also strangely cheaper than buying digital, for some reason.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i don't know where you're ordering from but my area says it's 50 bucks