Steampunk games.

Last Valiance

Jun 26, 2010
Are there any? I'm racking my brain here, but I can't think of any that I truly consider to be Steampunk. Cyberpunk and Biopunk are absolutely everywhere largely because they inherently make for good gameplay.

The only ones I can think of are Bioshock and Fallout, but they have an art-deco thing going (well, Bioshock does, but I'm not sure what the weird 50's retro-futurist style in fallout is called, so we'll go with art-deco), instead of the pseudo-victorian-industrialisation era thing going on, which is pretty much what defines Steampunk.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Final Fantasy VI and IX have heavy steam punk influences along with magic. However, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Edge of Twilight was supposed to be released last year, but it's been delayed indefinetly, as far as I'm aware. A shame, really, the trailer [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/someone-special-edge-of/51344] looks really promising.

MetalheadParkey

Mar 3, 2010
Well in Timesplitters Future Perfect there were a few steampunk levels and characters.

though since that game is about time travel, theres pretty much everything in there.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I know plenty of book, but I don't think there are many games that use it as a setting. Aside from Bioshock.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Several, actually... they even have a wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Steampunk_video_games

Now, the Victorian genre of steampunk... that's more rare.

A steampunk fanatic myself, I'm currently enjoying Resonance of Fate... which (if you get passed the silly JRPGness) is a very solid game.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Highlandheadbanger said:
Theres Damnation, a steampunk, alternative American history shooter. But I understand it wasn't very good.
Awful, actually (avergae review score: 4.2 out of 10)... I don't think they actually finished most of it before publication. Which is too bad, because I was really looking forward to it.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Thats really untapped setting when it comes to games. Arcanum, Rise of Nation: Rise of Legends and, despite the shiver going down my spine every time i hear about jRPGs, FF VI would be the clsoest to what i see as Steampunk.

Plenty of settings tried ot borrow from the ideas of Steampunk, to mention WoW from the most popular ones, however it was always just a minor appearance rather than main theme. Generally it seems developers avoid both steam and cyber -punk settings focusing rather on either high fantasy or high sci-fi worlds instead.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Arcanum is largely steampunk. The Thief games are also heavily steampunk themed. But you are right, there aren't many steampunk games, much less good ones.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Can't go wrong with the MYST series. At least the first two or three are very Steampunky. That theme started to fade a bit in the later games, though.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I definitely fell in love with Penny Arcade's On The Rainslick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One the other day. Haven't never played any real steampunk games, that one, is what I consider to be EPIC. Epic in humor and to a point, everything else.

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
Well... Aqua is pretty steampunk. Or atleast it's set in a steampunk world. It's availible from Xbox Live Arcade, but I don't know if you can find it elsewhere...