Steampunk. Why do people like it so much?

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
I really never understood people's fascination with steampunk crap. Every time there is something about steampunk people ooo and ahh and people always complain about there not being enough steampunk games out there. I just don't get it. Why is steam so cool? Steam was replaced by electricity and gasoline and it really doesn't serve many practical purposes today because there are so many other things that work better. I also don't get the whole steampunk thing like Wild Wild West were they make modern objects out of steam-run equipment. Im sure a giant spider sounds great on paper but there's no way in hell its actually going to work let alone, running on steam. I just don't get the whole steampunk thing so someone please enlighten me.

TheSentinel

May 10, 2008
Haha. I laugh at you trying to look at steampunk in terms of efficiency and practicality.

LAUGH!

WhiteRat07

Some guy
Aug 13, 2009
I did a D&D campaign in a steampunk world that was fun. But in general i dunno some of it looks kinda cool.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
I'm from the Cyberpunk-crowd, I can't tell you myself. I just don't like the style.

randomize4

Jul 21, 2009
Umm, steampunk is more of an aesthetic thing. Many people find all of the gears, valves, steam, and bubbling liquids to look cool.

As for your statements on efficiency, you are completely correct. Gasoline and electricity work better in almost any instance, but that really is not the point.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Steam punk LOOKS cool, but no, it's not practical. I just like clockwork mostly which puts me more into clock punk, but still.

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
Sentinel10 said:
Haha. I laugh at you trying to look at steampunk in terms of efficiency and practicality.

LAUGH!
This /\

But seriously, steampunk isn't about the efficiency, its about the aesthetic. It looks cool, and its a cool idea. People know there's no way any of its actually feasible.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Because steampunk as a environmental design is just appealing to the eye. I mostly like it for the clockwork and overall rustic feel

atalanta

Dec 27, 2009
Steampunk is alternate history. It's essentially Victorian era with a hefty dose of science fiction; think H.G. Wells or Jules Verne.

The reason it appeals to me is because I really like science fiction and I adore the Victorian era. Most steampunk leaves me cold because I don't think they're not Doing It Right (i.e. throwing together the aesthetic without any of the cultural stuff underlying it), but when the two come together properly, I just love it.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
Was never much into it myself. I can understand why people would like it, I just dont. Plus I can understand how making it would be a good hobby especially if you knew how to work metal and there is a market out there for it so why not?

Long story short its just one of those things that caught on.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Steampunk is freaking retarded.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable/799-Damnation

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Shynobee said:
Sentinel10 said:

LAUGH!
This /\

But seriously, steampunk isn't about the efficiency, its about the aesthetic. It looks cool, and its a cool idea. People know there's no way any of its actually feasible.

*looks at ugly stuff*

Ugh.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Steam makes you sweaty.
Sex makes you sweaty.

People like to make connections.

So we connect the two.

Steam = Sex.

Sex is extremely popular in the world. I'd say it is the number 1 activity people are doing or wish they were doing.

So Steam is popular by proxy.

So that's it. Steampunk makes people feel sexed.

Oh yes. That fictitious PHD working out great.

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
Steampunk looks and feels awesome. It's hard to explain, in the same way that it's hard to explain why people like traditional fantasy.

I personally like a dash of Steampunk in my D&D latte, so to speak. That and a dash of low fantasy balance the game out pretty well.