Steams Dawn of War II and GFWL

Ardenon

Sep 7, 2009
Once upon a day I bought the complete dawn of war pack on the steam summer sale. The first DoW was played fairly well, opinions good and bad. But then I went on to the second game of the franchise and for reasons explained below I am not able to play it. May be somebody could help me out with them.
The first thing that got me confused was when I installed DoW 2, not chaos rising or retribution, and when I started playing I saw the Chaos Rising game menu. What was this - I wondered, did I not install the right game? When I tried installing chaos rising I had to download only 1MB which made me even more confused, why were these 2 games were separate and why do I feel screwed over by the buy?
If only that was it, may be I could of done something in the menu, a choice of campaign may be? May be I've downloaded 2 at once? As I launched the game, I had to register to Games For Windows Live. Hearing allot of flame about it I hoped to have the least of its problems, but then realized that being situated in Estonia, I am not allowed to play games which are using GFWL since they are region restricted. Normally if the game is region restricted, it wouldn't appear on the sale for me, but since it came in a pack I bought it not being aware that it will not work for me.
So now I feel royally screwed. What the hell is with this business practice? But More importantly is there any way to fix this?
A big thanks in advance for any advice.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Admittedly I don't know how to fix this for you, sorry. You may have some luck trying these sites, though...

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/forums/dawn-war-ii/technical-support
https://support.steampowered.com/

The first link is the tech support forum for the Dawn of War series, and the second is Steam's own support page.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Chaos Rising is treated like Dawn of War II DLC from a program standpoint, so by installing DoW II you have installed CR by extension and if you were to click "New game" it would ask if you want to start a DoW II Campaign or a CR one.

Also DoW II and CR will use GFWL, Retribution won't

Ardenon

Sep 7, 2009
yet again a huge thanks for all the suggestions, I'll see how everything goes when retribution is installed. I still did not get about the DoW 2 campaign though, will I have a choice of campaign despite it simply looking like its CR?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Don't have DoWII on my current machine but if memory serves it should ask if you want to start a new DoWII campaign, start a new CR campaign or start a new CR campaign using a DoWII Save File when you click the 'New Game/Campaign' button.

Ardenon

Sep 7, 2009
I'm certain that I just don't get something obvious. I can launch DoW retribution no problem, but i still can't get access to the original DoW and CR. Unlike the first 2 games, retribution launches separately so I still cannot play them

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Ardenon said:
I'm certain that I just don't get something obvious. I can launch DoW retribution no problem, but i still can't get access to the original DoW and CR. Unlike the first 2 games, retribution launches separately so I still cannot play them
Retribution is a separate game, almost stand-alone. So really that's not going to help you.

Chaos Rising is an expansion of DoWII and added sort of as a patch, when you get DoWII you get all the chaos Risising enhancements and i believe multiplayer modes, but not the campaign until it's installed.

To fix your problem with region locking? ..uh, yeah. Sorry. Best thing I could say is maybe google it. A crack may fix your problem.. or an offline profile?

Ardenon

Sep 7, 2009
oplinger said:
To fix your problem with region locking? ..uh, yeah. Sorry. Best thing I could say is maybe google it. A crack may fix your problem.. or an offline profile?
It generally won't let me have a profile, when I try to log in on website or in game there's an error with no description. I assume its the region lock because that's always been the case.

hi_dude_27

Jan 22, 2013
I'm having problems with the game. I bought the Dawn of War Ultimate Collection. It installed Dawn of War 1 fine and all the other Dawn of War 1 disks. However when it came to installing Dawn of War 2 a message popped up, it said "the ordinal 42 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\xlive.dll." I have no idea why this is, as it starts to install, then this pops up. If anyone has any idea that would be great, and if I've done something stupid wrong, I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
hi_dude_27 said:
I'm having problems with the game. I bought the Dawn of War Ultimate Collection. It installed Dawn of War 1 fine and all the other Dawn of War 1 disks. However when it came to installing Dawn of War 2 a message popped up, it said "the ordinal 42 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\xlive.dll." I have no idea why this is, as it starts to install, then this pops up. If anyone has any idea that would be great, and if I've done something stupid wrong, I'm sorry for wasting your time.
You bought the Ultimate Collection on Steam, I'm guessing? Install Dawn of War 2, and then click Properties, then under local files click Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
When you click new game you should get the option between DoW2 and CR, there is no problem here at all.

Edit: Oh my god, necro, past-me already posted in this thread!