Steam's gone mad!!

jonnopon3000

Feb 25, 2009
Hmmm...something really wierd happened to me on steam the other day:

Someone called STEAM-VAC added me as a friend...I have on my profile just add me as you wish so I accepted, thinking it was just some dude who decided to act upon that.

He sent me a message in french, so i told him i speak English. He sent the message again semi-translated and barely understandable. It read:
Hello this is STEAM-VAC we need your password et user nom cause we have detected a trojan (french word) virus (french word) account...if you don't give us the information we will (french word) your account.

I was like...say what!?

He re-sent it in better English...and basically he wanted my password and user-name because of a threat of virus attatched to my acount...and if i didn't he would shut my accoiunt down.

On impulse I blocked communication with this guy. Have heard/seen nothing since.

So..was he staff? Or some prick messing around?

EDIT: just thought...wouldn't be impossible for a virus to link to my ACCOUNT?

I thought at the time: if he was staff he wouldn't need to add me as friend, right? He would just message/email me no matter what.

Wierd stuff

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
He was obviously making a very bad attempt at getting your account details such as password.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
No he was not staff, Just a con.

Sad thing is that could work on some people.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
The Steam chat windows have "Never tell your password to anyone." on them for a reason. It's obviously a scam. If a steam employee wanted to fiddle around with your account, they wouldn't need your password.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
scifidownbeat said:
yeah....yeah....yeah....yeah, no.... no...
Dammit! Just when I started to forget about that..

And I agree, he was merely trying to hack you.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Isn't there a disclaimer on every online service saying that staff will not ask you for your account information?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Well, it's obvious what to write back in a situation like this:
"Fuck off. You've been reported to the staff."

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
jonnopon3000 said:
I thought at the time: if he was staff he wouldn't need to add me as friend, right? He would just message/email me no matter what.
This is some French dude being a prick and trying to hack your account.

On the Valve website they explain that Valve staff will NEVER ever ask for your account or password details. They don't need to, they're staff, they can just open up your account at will, they have a master key so to speak.

Also, VAC can't talk to you in chat, it's a server side system that can only 'talk' to you when you are connected to a game and through the loading/disconnect screens. If you were to get a VAC ban for a game that would happen in the game on those screens.

The give away should have been that an American based service from an American company was talking to you in French...

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
If I'd gotten that message I would of just said 'obvious scammer is obvious' and then reported him to steam staff, let them deal with it.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
No online service you sign up for says it is OK to give your password to even the staff. They all say no staff member would ever ask for it under any circumstance. It was just a bad scam. A very bad one.

Mister Ash

Aug 19, 2008
i think someone should add Steam-VAC to their friends list and try to scam him... cos that'd just be a whole new form of beautiful irony

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Smart move. A real tech guy would never need to ask you for your password (this applies to basically everything.)