Steam's new project - Greenlight

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/?snr=1_4_4__118

By upvoting or downvoting games, you can influence what games are coming to Steam. Greenligt looks like an amazing idea and while there is plenty of crap floating around, I have already voted for some games I liked.

So, what do you think about this? Tell me whether you already voted for some games and why.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
A good idea, jut there is too many ways for it to backfire. And by good, I mean a brilliant idea. Just, you can never trust a community to vote on games purely by the quality of them, there will most likely be trolls abusing it, people trying to push an agenda and more idiots ruining an awesome concept.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
nikki191 said:
i already noticed a few that could do with the exposure like kenshi.. totally open world game where you arent the chosen one for a change
YES! Thank you for that! I'd love to see that game.

Erm, anybody know how can you get to Greenlight from within the Steam client without clicking on the direct link?

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
This has a lot of potential for abuse from both sides. On the one hand random trolls could doom a project before it even has a chance. On the other hand anyone with a horde of fans could just point them to any random piece of trash and that would get more attention than a decent game no one has heard of before.

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
So what's preventing one developer from creating a bunch of Steam accounts to downvote their competitors and upvote their own game? And isn't this sort of making games even more of a popularity contest?

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
I think it is a great idea, there are some issues of course but its a welcome change to have us (The consumers) dictate what should be added (Of course we don't dictate 100% of games being added such as AAA titles) because when it comes down to it, we know what we want to buy.

Of course theres the issue of getting flak from trolls, making fake stupid entries, or putting up other peoples games.

But it will also give the publicity that certain small indie games needs and deserve, people will see it on the list and then talk about the game with friends maybe and stuff.

Im personally voting yes on almost all the games, even if i might not buy them for years if at all, i think every (proper, as in not a fake) game should be added to steam.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's a great idea, but it's also a mighty broad field of entrants. I wonder how many are actually going to get some time in the spotlight out of this initiative, and how many genuine up-and-comers are going to break through if professionals like the makers of Wizardry 8 and Zooloreto are part of the scene.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
There's already a few games that look like they could be amazing like routine or kenshi but I get the feeling a lot of these will never see the light of day just because of how many games there are and how it's almost luck if you find a game you like but I think valve will refine it to make it more fair and easier for great games to get attention.

At least I hope so.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
A-a-and, first attempt at trolling (sort of) has been had. Basically, somebody wanted to add "I Wanna Be The Guy" and sell it on Steam. The problem is that the game is already free. Also, the guy (no, not the Guy), wasn't even the original creator. The original creator did pitch in the comments saying that he didn't want the game to ever be sold and that people should downvote and report the project.

Well, that was about a couple of hours ago - when I found it, not sure when it was added. Now the page is removed [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951762&searchtext=].

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Now, biting through my tongue to be impartial for a second, the rational side of me think its not exactly a good idea in this culture of amazon bombing and metacritic nuking. Especially when you encounter situations of phenomenally dev'd works, that just so happen to be from someone you come to find out has some sort of social opinion one group of people dont agree with.

Now no longer biting my tongue, as far as I am concerned, Steam can burn in high holy hell and every thought they produce is sheer idiocy until my rights are restored and I am able to use the content licenses I legally purchased that they are using to extort voluntary compliance to something they have absolutely no right to demand.

I hate that it has to be a repetitive thing with me, but this is another of the ways I am fighting this and what sony, MS, and others have done, by reminding people of this unlawful extortion every time a reference to them occurs. This is something that cannot go away, and people need to be reminded of it until something is done about it.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
You shouldn't be able to down vote a game you should only be able to vote for it. That way the trolls are kept quiet. Also down voting seems pointless because this is to generate what people would buy the game correct? Well if someone isn't going to buy it why give them the power to dictate other people not being able to play it as well?

Great idea, bad execution model (well a piece of it).

Kitty4President

Nov 22, 2011
There seems to be an abundance of ripoff games here. Especially Minecraft ripoffs.

That said, there is a variety of great games being presented here worthy of being released on Steam.

Like McPixel. McPixel needs to be on Steam.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
A good idea, jut there is too many ways for it to backfire. And by good, I mean a brilliant idea. Just, you can never trust a community to vote on games purely by the quality of them, there will most likely be trolls abusing it, people trying to push an agenda and more idiots ruining an awesome concept.
So, basically, it's a terrible idea. Since it basically empowers a body that cannot be trusted.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
People seem worried that voters will simply vote for projects made by developers they favour etc. But if that's what the people want then why shouldn't they be able to push these games? Developers will still make money, consumers will still be happy as they get games they want and perhaps most importantly from steam's point of view they will continue to earn money.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
So I voted on 5 games I would buy on steam right away. They are castle in the darkness, the hidden realm, secret of grindea, miasmata, NEStalgia. All of these were 1% when I voted and I just checked 2 hours later and all of them are 0%. So I go and check the collection these games to belong to and ALL collections had -11% to -63%.

Seriously steam I love you but you dropped the ball allowing negative voting. You are just giving all the internet trolls fuel to spew their venom everywhere.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I like the idea, hell I even have a game (RPG Maker, it's actually a pretty good and flexiable engine that can be used for commerical) I would love to get on there. Maybe for like 2 or 3 dollars. Well actually maybe $5 would be best.

But sadly, I feel like it would be down voted to oblivion for being an RPG Maker game, regardless of quality.