SteamVR Test Teases Half-Life 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 Details

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
SteamVR Test Teases Half-Life 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 Details

SteamVR's recent performance test secretly contains several references to Source 2 games, notably Left 4 Dead 3 and Half-Life 3.

At this point, Half-Life 3 has so many "confirmed" jokes and memes that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/experienced-points/14361-The-Reason-Half-Life-3-Rumors-Are-Such-A-Big-Joke>we probably wouldn't take an actual game announcement seriously. But that's not to say legitimate leaks and theories don't exist. The latest surprise example comes from <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166545-Valve-Releases-Portal-Themed-SteamVR-Test-Software#&gid=gallery_5821&pid=1>this week's SteamVR Performance Test demo, which came with a Source 2 engine build. Naturally, Valve enthusiasts quickly dissected it, finding possible evidence of gameplay features for both Half-Life 3 and Left 4 Dead 3.

The first interesting detail is the SteamVR Performance Test files cites specific Source 2 directories: "left4dead3" and "hl3". That's not much itself, but breaking down the code within these files uncovers references to a possible Half-Life 3 quest system. Half-Life 3 having a quest system isn't a new rumor, but these strings do add to the body of evidence that NPCs can provide quests to Gordon Freeman during the game. Also bundled into these files? Strings detailing a "crowbar zipline" and a grenade launcher armed with "weapon_spygrenade".

Left 4 Dead 3 files weren't absent from the investigation either. Along with references to a Source 2 day-night cycle, there are hints of a new zombie type called "the nocturnal". Presumably if Left 4 Dead 3 introduces a day-night cycle, this would be a special infected enemy which only spawns once the sun goes down.

The SteamVR demo also contains texture files for two new Half-Life 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 characters, although their exact roles in the games - if any - isn't clear. On top of that, the demo seems to contain unusable Source 2 development maps referencing Aperture Science and possible space flight mechanics. That latter map is probably a reference Valve's cancelled space pirate game Stars of Blood, but at this point, it's nice to image Half-Life 3 literally shooting for the stars.

As always, nothing here is official confirmation from Valve, or in any way reflects finished Half-Life 3 or Left 4 Dead 3 products - assuming they're coming at all. All the same, wouldn't it be great to get excited for a new Valve software product that wasn't Dota 2 updates or Team Fortress 2 hats? Here's hoping at least some of this info makes its way into finished games.

[gallery=5832]

Source: <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2igP0jguSc>Valve News Network, via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-24-why-people-are-talking-about-half-life-3-and-left-4-dead-3>Eurogamer

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Wait, this is from Valve News Network? I've watched like a couple of videos and this one was pretty much the same. At least at the start - I never finish watching them, since I can't be bothered. They all seem to boil down to "Yo, guys - Half-Life 3 totally confirmed - here are the things that were leaked that lead to this conclusion". The first video I saw was about three years ago. Yeah. I remember watching it and waiting for it to be revealed as a joke but the guy appeared completely serious. I later caught another video that was the same in nature. And now this.

I think I can see the pattern.

Possibly related but I've decided to never actually watch any more of the VNN videos.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hmm, Valve know there are these file-miners. This was intentional. Plus, i fucking called it (along with others probably). VR would be the innovation they are waiting on to do what could be considered the next jump in gaming that the Half-Life games essentially are showcases for. Left for dead...ooh sorry, Left "4" dead 3 is for the millenials i guess. No portal 3? Awww.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Ahhh now it all becomes clear. Now it makes sense.
Half-Life 3 is why Valve suddenly decided to roll their own VR headset that includes motion controllers--they can design the game with one specific hardware setup in mind (the way Nintendo does, which leads to better games). Steam Machine + Steam controller + big picture makes it so console gamers can enjoy the game from the comfort of their living room on a big screen without Valve having to water it down for regular consoles.

And what better way to celebrate Half-Life 3 than potentially bundling it with their own officially licensed and certified Valve Steam Machine and Valve VR headset + controller? The ultimate experience, the next big leap in gaming.

Especially when this coming August 24th marks Valve's 20 year anniversary...

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
These are intentionally put there by Valve to fuck with their fans. Just like all the previous times they hid "secret leak content" in stuff they knew people woulp pick apart for clues.
It's cheaper and much more profitable for them to sell all the youtube bait and shitty "baby's first video game" games steam users lap up than to actually develop something new, especially for franchises that are essentially dead.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
As much as I would love a HL3, they've almost made it that there is no way for the game to match the hype and expectation of waiting all these years. I say almost in order for Valve to completely prove me wrong.

A3Bf72rVWE5hA

Nov 10, 2009
I keep telling people, when they finally release Half Life 3, they'll also have a Portal 3, Team Fortress 3, and Left 4 Dead 3, all rolled into one like some kind of Left 4 Half Portal Fortress 3.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Nope, don't believe a word of it. I won't believe anything related to Half-Life whatever until the game is in my hands and I can play it. It has been too many years of patiently waiting, followed by despair, followed by annoyance, and now I am just plain bitter.
So, great if this turns out to be true, but I'm done getting my hopes up and getting excited.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
DoPo said:
Wait, this is from Valve News Network? I've watched like a couple of videos and this one was pretty much the same. At least at the start - I never finish watching them, since I can't be bothered. They all seem to boil down to "Yo, guys - Half-Life 3 totally confirmed - here are the things that were leaked that lead to this conclusion". The first video I saw was about three years ago. Yeah. I remember watching it and waiting for it to be revealed as a joke but the guy appeared completely serious. I later caught another video that was the same in nature. And now this.

I think I can see the pattern.

Possibly related but I've decided to never actually watch any more of the VNN videos.
A smart move. Most of VNN's videos are just click-baity rumor mill pieces. They often ignore the important information and fluff up the nonsense.

It's better to go to Valvetime.net [http://www.valvetime.net/threads/examining-the-files-of-steamvr-performance-test-aperture-robot-repair.253841/] to see a quality analysis of the information. Or, one could just go to the source at SteamDB [https://steamdb.info/blog/mining-the-aperture-robot-repair-vr-demo/]

To summarize:
There are some asset files from Left 4 Dead 3 and Half-Life 3 in the pre-release version of the VR test program, but some may be associated with other projects. There is a space-themed flight sim sample in the program, but it's most likely not associated with the (likely cancelled) space sim Valve was working on at one point.

There's a lot more to what was in the pre-release files, but either of the links above provide a better analysis than I would just posting here.

[sub]For clarity's sake, I'm not attempting to 'advertise' for those sites. My only intention is to provide useful links to anyone interested in looking into this 'leak' further.[/sub]

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
My snarky side thinks that Valve may think people are willing to pay $800, just to see Half-Life 3.

My less snarky side thinks that even if they are thinking that, they might be right.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I have to assume Half Life 3 would be completely playable without VR and not hampered in any way, i realise they have to promote this potential future... thing, but as someone who cares a lot about Half Life and not at all in VR, it would be twisted to make it VR only.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
fedirko7 said:
I keep telling people, when they finally release Half Life 3, they'll also have a Portal 3, Team Fortress 3, and Left 4 Dead 3, all rolled into one like some kind of Left 4 Half Portal Fortress 3.
Wouldn't that be called Orange Box 2?

Jaeger_CDN said:
As much as I would love a HL3, they've almost made it that there is no way for the game to match the hype and expectation of waiting all these years. I say almost in order for Valve to completely prove me wrong.
That's why I don't get excited for games until there's at least an initial release date. And people are still going to enjoy it anyway. Because "If you've loved Half-Life 2 and all it's runty children so far then you'll love this installment because it's pretty much more of the same." -Yahtzee 'Orange Box'.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
J.McMillen said:
fedirko7 said:
Wouldn't that be called Orange Box 2?
I assumed it would be best to call it Orange Cube. :)

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
Its hard to maintain intellectual security when all your employees are stumbling around the offices wearing VR headsets along with beer hats that contain two Linux penguins as opposed to actual beer cans.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
I assumed it would be best to call it Orange Cube. :)
Containing;
Valve VR Headset
Half Life 3
Portal 3
Left For Dead 3
Team Fortress 3
Steam Controller

All for $100 (x 10)

Still...shut up and take my money!

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
Still more evidence that suggests we will have a new game, but Valve still nie ... One thing is sure, we have not finished to hear of Half-Life 3 and of Steam VR!