SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless Gaming Headset - Pitch Perfect

Encaen

May 6, 2005
SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless Gaming Headset - Pitch Perfect

The latest in SteelSeries Arctis headset line brings both quality and comfort in equal, abundant measure.

Read Full Article

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Sounds like a pretty good value for someone looking to try out the wireless tech. I might give it a look later on, heard pretty good things about SteelSeries products overall.

There was no mention about battery life or wireless range in the article, however. Or even means of charging, or interfacing (USB dongle/bluetooth/does it work with wires, how's the drivers) etc. I could search most of those up from the product website itself, but would be nice to include, just a suggestion!

Kahani

May 25, 2011
JohnnyDelRay said:
There was no mention about battery life or wireless range in the article, however. Or even means of charging, or interfacing (USB dongle/bluetooth/does it work with wires, how's the drivers) etc. I could search most of those up from the product website itself, but would be nice to include, just a suggestion!
There was also no mention of size or lag. For the former, the article did talk about how well it fitted, but made no mention of how big the author's head actually is or of any objective measure of the headphone's size, which makes such mention completely useless. There was also no mention of adjustment; it looks like there isn't any from the picture, but it's an important point that needs to be made clear. As for the latter, lag is inevitable with a wireless system, and can vary a huge amount depending on whether its wifi, bluetooth or something else. Too much audio lag can be the difference between good headphones and ones that make it almost impossible to watch video or play games, but isn't something headphones designed solely for audio need to care about.

So overall, I'd say this is one of the most useless reviews ever. It's all very well for the author to say they're not the usual hardware reviewer and not an audiophile, but managing to miss out pretty much every single important metric is really quite an achievement. A wireless headphone review on a gaming site, with no mention of connection type, battery life, size, or even the basic specs? Amazing.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Kahani said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
There was also no mention of size or lag. For the former, the article did talk about how well it fitted, but made no mention of how big the author's head actually is or of any objective measure of the headphone's size, which makes such mention completely useless. There was also no mention of adjustment; it looks like there isn't any from the picture, but it's an important point that needs to be made clear. As for the latter, lag is inevitable with a wireless system, and can vary a huge amount depending on whether its wifi, bluetooth or something else. Too much audio lag can be the difference between good headphones and ones that make it almost impossible to watch video or play games, but isn't something headphones designed solely for audio need to care about.

So overall, I'd say this is one of the most useless reviews ever. It's all very well for the author to say they're not the usual hardware reviewer and not an audiophile, but managing to miss out pretty much every single important metric is really quite an achievement. A wireless headphone review on a gaming site, with no mention of connection type, battery life, size, or even the basic specs? Amazing.
Yes, lag is actually pretty much the most critical part of any wireless device, in fact it's the main reason I haven't used wireless for anything besides listening to music (even VOIP calls are a bit of a pain, depending how bad it is). Watching movies is not possible unless the video player has function to delay or advance the audio. But in a video game, every single step, shot, explosion, or other such audio cues could be a make or break, and should be included in every wireless gaming audio headset review. Head size too for that matter, and longer term comfort because some gaming sessions can stretch out quite long!