Step Away From The Controller

zombie7775

Jul 19, 2009
Are games bad for the health of people I would say to a degree yes. We all know about the seizure warnings and that after several hours of button mashing your fingers might start to hurt but if anyone was to say that getting rid of video games solves everything I'd have to disagree. Video games might be helping kids along to bad health but I'm sure that the soda and chips that they're eating while they do so isn't great either. I play a lot of video games but I'm not really out of shape at all because when I'm not playing video games I'm either walking all around campus at school or at least staying semi active. I also hardy eat anything outside of lunch and dinner. Its been done over and over but the parents need to limit it a little better in my opinion more than just taking them away. I don't think he is trying to remove video games completely but I kind of think he is going more along the lines of what I said to limit them and get kids out of the house more often.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Malygris said:
Step Away From The Controller

Is Obama on an anti-gaming crusade?

Read Full Article
Someone who talks about Obama without coming across as an uneducated jackass. Holy crap you must be the holy grail of the internet.

Every single global chat channel on every online game I've played in the last few months has been nothing but jackasses ranting about things using nothing but one liners from news stations or newspaper headlines :p.

I play games but I also exercise. The humor for me is that I have two torn menisci and it sure as hell isn't from gaming :). Course it was entirely my fault for not rotating like the instructor said :p. The best part! He said "People tend to tear their menisci when they don't rotate." Well I'll be damned...he was right on the money there.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
and here is the big class gap,

while Obama talks about the upper class kids to get their spoiled butts out to the street there are lots of social workers trying to get the poor kids OFF the streets and preferably not to breaking into the houses the rich kids just left because Obama said so

While some play GTA some others have to survive the Ghetto.

This is 'nearly' funny!

Gaming is one of the least problems we have.

And oh yes - the next one suggesting to "read a book" instead of gaming gets their head smashed!
Reading Harry Potter or Stephen King or some Vampire shit is not taking you anywhere. Reading stupid books doesn´t make you smart! As long as you just take consumption behaviour to other place you won nothing. This is not going to be a succesfull strategy.

metalmmaniac

Jun 30, 2009
I know its already been said many times, but parents need to stop using games and tv as a babysitter. My parents let me and my brother play 1 hour of games a night. we would go outside and play when we couldn't play video games anymore. simple as that

DaMan1500

Jul 10, 2009
Yes, video games should be played in moderation, but the same goes for every other hobby ever. I can't help but get a little peeved when the candidate I supported in the election goes out of his way to alienate me and my game playing friends.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Always amused to read replies that, even after reading the article, still don't understand that he's not assaulting video games, he's attacking bad habits and those that nurture them (in this case, parents) in general. Gaming just happens to be one of the most popular habits amongst children. Playing games all day and not doing much else isn't healthy (common sense.) He's not alienating anyone, unless you're someone who actually does what he's saying to avoid and you're in denial that it's unhealthy, clinging to your lifestyle like someone with lung cancer to their precious cigarettes.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Alright, I may just take the liberty to shorten up the arguments here, now let's see...

"Obama doesn't like video games"; Possibly true, and?

"He's using video games as a scapegoat"; I don't think "example" is equal to "scapegoat".

Is that pretty much it? Moderation is the end hold, and I have high doubts that Obama is on an anti-gaming campaign. Merely a more physical activity one, and arguing against that because he brings up video games is being an ass about a positive movement.

But why am I complaining? I'm Canadian. Still, until Obama outright says he bans all games, I can't say there's anything to worry about. Whether or not he likes video games shouldn't let people jump to conclusions.

EDIT; Now if you'll excuse me, we're going camping for the weekend, to breathe some fresh air and play on the beach. Though when I return I plan on playing a bit of NFS: PS.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
this is actually a fantastic point. i think people do need to go out and actually do something every once in a while. you can't just sit infront of a tv all day and not expect someone to get off your lazy ass. unless your getting paid for it, it's gonna happen. but does a person really want to earn a living playing a game that will end up being outdated in 5 years when the next blockbuster comes out, revealing a new champion that will leave you in the unforgetten waste land of "who gives a damn"? go out and make a name for yourself in the real world, not the virtual one

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Just on a side note, I find it telling how many people blindly lashed out at the merest hint of criticism on gaming. Does having a knee-jerk defensive reflex make gamers mainstream now?

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
He's not on an anti-gaming crusade like all the soccer moms are. He's just telling people to stop obsessing with games and their universally proclaimed bad effects on health (over half of which aren't true, I must say).

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I met a guy on an MMO some years ago who played his character with a keyboard that he could only work with his mouth. And he was still a good player, which takes a lot more dexterity than I have.
I hope he cleaned his keyboard often.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
I sit on this and don't get fat. Maybe its because I wouldn't goto a Mcdonalds if I was paid. Truth be told I think Ronnie is evil! I blame them.

Feb 13, 2008
Kstreitenfeld said:
I met a guy on an MMO some years ago who played his character with a keyboard that he could only work with his mouth. And he was still a good player, which takes a lot more dexterity than I have.
Given the only part of his body he could use was his mouth, I think that's a little unlikely, don't you?

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
Kstreitenfeld said:
Given the only part of his body he could use was his mouth, I think that's a little unlikely, don't you?
I would think he wouldn't be living alone... I mean how could he eat?

Feb 13, 2008
Kstreitenfeld said:
Kstreitenfeld said:
I would think he wouldn't be living alone... I mean how could he eat?
Not easily, but he did have a housekeeper who came in to look after him.

As this is straying from the point somewhat, playing the games with us was his social actions with the world, so for him going outside wasn't an option.

I'm sure he'd gladly swap those "rotten trips outside when you could be playing WoW".

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
I suggest the next time you go out to by a game, stop by a book store and pickup some nice reading material.

MiserableOldGit

Apr 1, 2009
Danhoyt said:
I couldn't agree more. I read Gamepolitics.com all the time and I really think they have the wrong approach. I teach middle school and am disgusted at how many of my students don't have homework done and complain to me about being too busy, but can play Cod:WaW from 4 until 11. I know because I have their gamertags.

One kid came to school all sad because his dad was making him got to Six Flags one weekend and he wanted to play in a game tournament. He thought I would understand and he would get some sympathy from me.

This may seem like a different argument, but it's actually one in the same. Parents need to get their kids to put the controllers down and make sure they go outside and do their homework. All Obama is encouraging is responsible parenting and I'm all for that.

I may play video games a lot now, but I'm also a martial arts instructor and I would love to see parents encouraging their kids to come to Aikido. The kids would be active and the parents would be taking an active role in their kids' lives.
Your pupils gave you their gamertags? Rule one when I was at school was never, ever, bloody ever give an adult a lead on what you get up to-it might seem like a nice idea to play with your teacher, but I'd have seen the sting in the tail on that one. Kids really are getting thicker these days-your job must be an uphill struggle...