Stephen King's The Mist Is Being Turned Into a TV Show

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Stephen King's The Mist Is Being Turned Into a TV Show

The terrifying novella from Stephen King which received a big screen adaptation in 2007 is heading to our living rooms.

Easily the greatest adaptation of a Stephen King work in the past 20 years, 2007's The Mist is a modern masterpiece of science fiction and suspense that contains one of the most shocking endings in cinematic history (even if it differed from King's original, more ambiguous ending).

The third collaboration between King and director Frank Darabont -- after The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile -- The Mist tells the story of a small Maine town (go figure) that finds itself engulfed in an ominous fog filled with vicious, deadly creatures from another world. As the bodies of those trapped inside a grocery store begin to pile up, King's story becomes a classic dissection of who the real monsters are once fear takes hold.

And now, it appears that The Weinstein Company's Dimension Television will be bringing the horror story to the small screen, with Christian Torpe (creator of Danish series Rita) attached as a writer.

"The terror and drama in Stephen King's novella are so vast that we felt serialized television is the best place to explore them in greater depth," said Bob Weinstein in an interview with Deadline [http://deadline.com/2015/09/mist-tv-series-dimension-films-christian-torpe-stephen-king-1201530407/], co-chairman The Weinstein Company and Dimension Films. "With this show, Christian has created a fascinating band of characters and a story with infinite scares."

As both a huge fan of King's novella and the 2007 big screen adaptation -- the latter of which I have to thank for introducing me to the music of Dead Can Dance [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtQpM6MTugE] -- I am equal parts optimistic and trepidatious about this project, to put it mildly. The main reason Darabont's The Mist worked so well, aside from the brilliant performances of its leads, Thomas Jane and Marcia Gay Harden, was due to how contained it felt. The majority of the film took place in one setting, in one small corner of the world, and focused on how one group of people reacted to a supernatural catastrophe. The idea of expanding that universe and interweaving storylines ala The Walking Dead opens The Mist up to a variety of possibilities that were not achievable in the original novel, but could also work against the relentless sense of isolation and claustrophobia which made both the novel and the movie so effective.

The other concerning factor is simply that, well, truly great Stephen King adaptations have alwasy come few and far between, whether on the big screen or otherwise. Just look at how Under the Dome, which wrapped up it's third and final season last week [http://variety.com/2015/tv/columns/under-the-dome-series-finale-review-spoilers-stephen-king-1201590060/], was received by both fans and critics over the course of its run. (Hint: Not well. Not well at all.)

Then again, a television series based on The Mist has far better source material to rely on than Under the Dome could have ever hoped for, so there's that at least. I guess I'd have to agree with Bustle's Sabienna Bowman [http://www.bustle.com/articles/111034-stephen-kings-the-mist-is-coming-to-tv-but-how-will-the-creepy-story-translate-to] that the success of The Mist will depend heavily on not only on the cinematography (how the titular mist itself is portrayed), but in whether or not the story will be able to strike a balance between the characters survival and "their meditation about the nature of the incident like The Leftovers."

What do you guys think? Are we in for another King clunker, or will this TV series do the master of terror justice?

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2015/09/mist-tv-series-dimension-films-christian-torpe-stephen-king-1201530407/]

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
Devin Barker said:
And we still cant get a Dark Tower project to stick!
Actually, from everything I've seen over the past couple months (including it now having an official IMDB page here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/ ) Sony has finally confirmed at least The Gunslinger for a January 2017 theatrical release, being directed by one of the people behind the adaptation of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (the original version, not the English version). It's only listed as 'announced' at this point, but it's moved past what I think was an impasse they had reached with Ron Howard.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
savageoblivi0n said:
Devin Barker said:
Actually, from everything I've seen over the past couple months (including it now having an official IMDB page here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/ ) Sony has finally confirmed at least The Gunslinger for a January 2017 theatrical release, being directed by one of the people behind the adaptation of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (the original version, not the English version). It's only listed as 'announced' at this point, but it's moved past what I think was an impasse they had reached with Ron Howard.
Dark Tower has had soooo many "official announcements" at this point, unless there is a trailer its not real (in my eyes at least) its been a movie a show movies and shows its had leading men cast and leave and come back... thats like Hellboy 3, Mike Mignola himslef told me until I see a trailer its not real.

Synigma

Dec 24, 2014
Ya I'm pointing to the elephant in the room on this one: What can they POSSIBLY do for an ending that won't let down everyone who's seen the movie? Seriously that ending... it messed with me for weeks.

Actually I do see a lot of possibility in a show, taking more time on the monsters, exploring the source of the mist, really drive home the other-world feel and contrasting human nature that comes to the surface. They pretty much have to fall back on the original ending to leave it open for follow up seasons if it is well received. I was kinda mad at that idea at first, seeing it as a bit of a cop out, but then I thought about it. A 2nd season, beyond the town in a mist covered world... I can see a lot of possibility in that too, if they are careful not to make it just a blurry version of the Walking Dead.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Fun fact: Stephen King went on record saying that he preferred the movie's ending to his own. Since it tears out your heart, stomps on it and lets it star in a Miley Cyrus video

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
Devin Barker said:
savageoblivi0n said:
Devin Barker said:
Dark Tower has had soooo many "official announcements" at this point, unless there is a trailer its not real (in my eyes at least) its been a movie a show movies and shows its had leading men cast and leave and come back... thats like Hellboy 3, Mike Mignola himslef told me until I see a trailer its not real.
While that is true, I don't recall it ever having a release date attached with any of those announcements (though it's been a while so I could be wrong.) Main thing I'm looking for isn't even a trailer, I just want to see that status go from 'Announced' to 'In Production', or honestly even 'Pre-production' cause I don't think it's ever hit that point in any of the iterations.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
savageoblivi0n said:
Devin Barker said:
savageoblivi0n said:
Devin Barker said:
While that is true, I don't recall it ever having a release date attached with any of those announcements (though it's been a while so I could be wrong.) Main thing I'm looking for isn't even a trailer, I just want to see that status go from 'Announced' to 'In Production', or honestly even 'Pre-production' cause I don't think it's ever hit that point in any of the iterations.
I hope you prove to be right sir, I would love to see those movies happen. Use your optimism to bend the universe to your will and make it happen

william1657

Scout
Mar 12, 2015
I would have preferred a "Cell" series, but this could be good.

I enjoyed both the book and the movie but would love to get more backstory on the origins of the mist and the monsters.

It would kind of suck if it was just another "survive the monsters without investigating their origins" show though.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
This series could be every arc ever dreamed of for Half Life, all rolled into a TV series.

It could be great- the innocent rural folks trying to survive, the militia attempting clean up Ops with ranges of rankings from 'mission accomplished' to 'send more brains', the zealots seeing greatness in the beyond and the gun-nut survivalists taking no prisoners, and of course the learned and skilled, desperately trying to seal the gate/stop the madness/solve the riddles...

as an aside, Dead can Dance has been my go-to "Serious and Sombre" mood-setting music for role playing events since I heard them in college. Check out Gladiator and Black Hawk Down for more of Lisa Gerrard's signature punch-in-the-feels medieval sound.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
So it's been forever since I actually read the short story, but how did it end again? Didn't it kind of allude to the idea that the Mist had basically taken over the planet? I could see how they could transform something like that into a 'Walking Dead' type TV show.

Mar 26, 2008
Renegade-pizza said:
Fun fact: Stephen King went on record saying that he preferred the movie's ending to his own. Since it tears out your heart, stomps on it and lets it star in a Miley Cyrus video
I read that too. I love that ending, although I understand how it polarises a lot of people. My wife hated it. She said she enjoyed the movie up until that last bit. For me it made the movie. It was the rotten cherry on the cupcake of despair.

Aug 31, 2011
Ihateregistering1 said:
So it's been forever since I actually read the short story, but how did it end again? Didn't it kind of allude to the idea that the Mist had basically taken over the planet? I could see how they could transform something like that into a 'Walking Dead' type TV show.
It was ambiguous, but they got outside of their town. I don't remember how far, except that they were running low on gas when the story ended. In the story, they never got out of the mist and, worse, came across indications of monsters so large that they could only see the feet/legs and the giant footprints left in the ground. So yeah, sort of indicates that the mist was global.

The Mist is easily my favorite King novella and one of my favorite horror flicks. The ending to the movie though... Man, I walked out of the theater feeling absolutely sucker punched. I was amazed that the studios actually let the movie out with that ending, but even King said he preferred it to his own.

It's a pity Frank Darabont got kicked off Walking Dead. I went back and watched the show from the beginning not too long ago and the first season is so much better than the follow-ups.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
As the movie was pretty much done right except for the ending, I can see an ongoing TV series pulling it off, even if it's probably a me too TWD competitor.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Good. I liked the book, and i liked the movie.

Silentpony said:
But....but it wasn't that good! And it's spoiled!
What more can a tv show add?!
I hope it explores the creatures and where they come from more.

Devin Barker said:
Oh, damn, i would LOVE a Dark Tower TV show. but i can see how it would be hard to adapt to television. Its very narration based and that doesnt work on TV.

Ihateregistering1 said:
Obvious spoilers ahead: no, the mist did not take over the planet. it was aluded that the breach where the mist came from was closed. though obviously it was quite ambiguous because its King.

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
Renegade-pizza said:
Yeah, especially when you realize that the woman in the truck apparently managed to survive on her own and find and protect her kids in the process. Meanwhile, the protagonist loses everything. While I didn't like the ending, story-wise, I'd say the ending was good and fit.

Personally, I didn't care for the movie. It started grating on my nerves the moment the preacher lady started taking control of everything. Now, understand, I am a Christian, and I utterly despised that woman. When she took a round to the gut, I literally screamed out in the theater "Shoot her in the fucking head!!!" Other people in the theater laughed when I did that. But, yeah, it was a chore for me to sit through.

As far as the Dark Tower, I had read somewhere that technically the mist originated from the Dark Tower universe. I don't remember where I read that, but it was something Stephen King hinted at.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Bollocks. They should make it a play, and not hold back on the swearing.

Or they are tremendous pussies, so sayeth I.