Stereotypes of your city/state/region/country, and are they true?

Nathan Allison

Jan 28, 2011
BoredDragon said:
Necator15 said:
Well, I'm in Maine in the US. The stereotypes seem to be that I'm without electricity and indoor plumbing. I can assure you they aren't true.

Funny story though, one time I was playing on XBL and had a guy ask me if I had electricity. Guy was 100% serious. I was absolutely baffled to the point where I couldn't even think of anything sarcastic to say (At the time).
Well, do you have electricity? :D
His Xbox live siphons the power of Shu, he has the Maine exclusive Egyptian god of wind and air powered Xbox. Maine is very Egyptian god of elements friendly.

Um, here in Colorado, I guess Cowboys or Indians stereotypes I think. I'm not so sure what is Colorado stereotypes are and I can't turn to South Park for that either.

Colorado is the fittest state, if you think we have a lot of skinny fit people as a stereotype, well, it's true. I don't think 18% is accurate. Colorado's fetish is working out after all, we also have a surprising number of Martial Arts dojo's. Just around my house there is 10 Martial Arts dojo's within a short walking distance. Colorado also has unnatrual hatred towards Texans and Californians

I heard Utah's fetish is staying in a hotel once a week, correct me if I'm wrong.

I grew up in South Carolina, oh boy! I know this one!
South Carolinains are racist: Somewhat.
South Carolinains are hill-billies: No, hardly any.
South Carolinains are stupid: Once again, somewhat.
South Carolinains want to break from the US: Some, yeah. You can see a confederate flag here and there.

The one other stereotype that I will confirm is the massive amount of fake goods that are around the city. There is a fake market for just about anything you could possibly imagine. There is the basic market for goods that tourists buy, there is a computer fake market, there is a clothing fake market, a fake market for eyewear specifically and a fake market for mens shoes, among others.
I can agree to that, got a perfectly working Nintendo Wii and Iphone, in the US, that's 500 bucks, in Shanghai, 80 bucks.
Yes. They are 'fake'

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Well I'm from Canada, and the vast majority of stereotypes don't apply to where I live at all. We do pronounce a few things the British way rather than American, but the reverse is true as well, sometimes its interchangeable. No one I have ever met says "aboot", for the most part accents in southern Ontario are basically like general American accents, someone from Washington or something. I do use the word "eh" a decent amount though, not in every sentence, but it is a useful word.

All the igloos and lumberjack stuff I don't think anyone actually believes. We still have summer and its gets hot. Oh and I don't give a shit about hockey, though it is popular in general.

I live south of parts of the states (not even including Alaska), living here is basically the same as living in the US but not under their government.

Nathan Allison

Jan 28, 2011
Bon_Clay said:
All the igloos and lumberjack stuff I don't think anyone actually believes. We still have summer and its gets hot. Oh and I don't give a shit about hockey, though it is popular in general.
People rioted in the street, burned trash and cars.
Because they lost a Hockey game.
:D

May 5, 2010
POSSIBLE STEREOTYPES(TRUTH VALUE):
-Gun nut (False)
-Morbidly obese (False)
-Mildly racist (.........*sigh*..True.)
-Inflated patriotism (False)
-American Football fan (HA! false.)
-Red Neck (Well, I just watched my neighbor's RV, which was filled with illegal fireworks, burn, so I think I actually HAVE to be a redneck now. True. NOTE: Fire was not intentional, nor was I involved with it's starting in any way)

STATE: New Mexico
-Mexican citizen (False)
-Speaks Spanish (False)
-Loves Mexican food (False, but unfortunately true for pretty much everyone else.)
-Illegal Immigrant (False)

CITY: Corrales
-Owns a horse (False, although this one is kind of fair. I mean, "Corrales" obviously means "corral" and pretty much everyone else here actually does own a horse. Seriously, everyone asks me this.)

EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS NON-REGIONAL STEREOTYPES
Yes, I have a twin brother. No we don't look alike, nor do we have a telepthatic connection. Now stop fuckin' asking.

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
I'm from arizona, USA in case anybody doesn't know.

NO it isn't super hot T
The grand canyon ain't that grand.

Believe it or not, people live in cities as opposed to the wasteland that everybody assumes this place is.

There aren't actually very many mines.

The grass is in fact green, not brown.

I could go on for around 3 pages but I'll stop here

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Yes, us Canadians tend to be less war-mongering than some Americans. And we are politer, too. Usually. OK not really, but we're quieter about it.

Also, yes, Vancouver does indeed riot, but not about hockey games. That one riot was just people letting loose and having rave parties on upside-down burning cop cars.

Yes. We Canadians are a quiet folk.

Citizen Box

Feb 24, 2011
Navvan said:
Minnesota, while we do have an accent its not nearly as bad as most seem to believe it is. Not sure what other stereotypes Minnesota has. Let me know if you think of any.
D: Someone else from my state, I thought we where extinct and all talked like a mix between Swedish and Canadian and we're all eskimos that live in igloos. Though, to be honest we should be considering how the weather has been like.

But, in reality though I am an American born and mostly Swedish and can assure you we don't talk like this dontcha know? :<

Also country wide? Just look around the Escapist... and people think we are xenophobic. Haha...

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
GrimTuesday said:
Heathrow said:
GrimTuesday said:
Really? I see them all over. Sure, not everyone who wears fake glasses and sports a neck beard but a good amount of them are. I love to just walk around and I see tons of those people. (I actually live across the river in Vancouver, but I basically live in Portland because that's where we get all of out media and stuff from and also because I spend a lot of time there).
I guess if a hipster is just someone who dresses in a specific manner then they're pretty common but then again when you talk to these people you find out they have well rounded interests and eclectic and interesting tastes. To me that seems to run counter to the common hipster image of a person who only does things to avoid being mainstream or trendy. Or maybe I just haven't talked to the right people /me shrugs.

You're from Vancouver though? You know you actually have a bit of a stereotype of your own up there you property tax avoiding bridge blocking son of a so and so ;3
I can't count how many times I've gone to a concert in Portland and had a group of hipsters walk by scoffing at how mainstream we all were for going and seeing bands like the Decemberists and Spoon. Its like they find out who is playing shows where and go there just to act superior.

I didn't know that there were any about people from Vancouver, this is news to me. Unless you mean sales tax dodging, then yes I know about that one, and am guilty of that XD.
Hipsters actually do this, I saw it once. They gather at Starbucks and talk about upcomic mainstream bands to be snarky too. I glared them out of the store.
And yeah, I also live just out of Vancouver- the general stereotype is hipster hockey lovers. Not gonna lie, I see it a lot.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
California. Everyone things we're all tanned surfers with blond hair. Unless you're from San Francisco, and then everyone thinks you're gay.

California is a big place, folks - one of the biggest states in the US. It's also an agricultural powerhouse and one of the economic backbones of the US despite its many issues today. We're not all beach bums and surfers. And the SF Bay Area has much, much more to it beyond the gay pride parade.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
King Toasty said:
GrimTuesday said:
Heathrow said:
GrimTuesday said:
Really? I see them all over. Sure, not everyone who wears fake glasses and sports a neck beard but a good amount of them are. I love to just walk around and I see tons of those people. (I actually live across the river in Vancouver, but I basically live in Portland because that's where we get all of out media and stuff from and also because I spend a lot of time there).
I guess if a hipster is just someone who dresses in a specific manner then they're pretty common but then again when you talk to these people you find out they have well rounded interests and eclectic and interesting tastes. To me that seems to run counter to the common hipster image of a person who only does things to avoid being mainstream or trendy. Or maybe I just haven't talked to the right people /me shrugs.

You're from Vancouver though? You know you actually have a bit of a stereotype of your own up there you property tax avoiding bridge blocking son of a so and so ;3
I can't count how many times I've gone to a concert in Portland and had a group of hipsters walk by scoffing at how mainstream we all were for going and seeing bands like the Decemberists and Spoon. Its like they find out who is playing shows where and go there just to act superior.

I didn't know that there were any about people from Vancouver, this is news to me. Unless you mean sales tax dodging, then yes I know about that one, and am guilty of that XD.
Hipsters actually do this, I saw it once. They gather at Starbucks and talk about upcomic mainstream bands to be snarky too. I glared them out of the store.
And yeah, I also live just out of Vancouver- the general stereotype is hipster hockey lovers. Not gonna lie, I see it a lot.
I live in Vancouver Washington, no one outside of Washington knows it exists, so it tends to be easier to just say Portland (which we are right across the Columbia from). You're not the first person to make that mistake.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
lumenadducere said:
California. Everyone things we're all tanned surfers with blond hair. Unless you're from San Francisco, and then everyone thinks you're gay.

California is a huge place, folks - one of the biggest states in the US. It's also an agricultural powerhouse and one of the economic backbones of the US despite its many issues today. We're not all beach bums and surfers.
3rd largest state Landmass I would think.

I'm from Pittsburgh,Pa and people do use words like Warsh instead of Wash, Sous instead of south. People who use Pittsburgh words sound like morons.

Nathan Allison

Jan 28, 2011
Slaanax said:
I'm from Pittsburgh,Pa and people do use words like Warsh instead of Wash, Sous instead of south. People who use Pittsburgh words sound like morons.
What about y'all (you all)? Although it's more of a Southern thing.

Sep 14, 2009
well pick your god damn stereotypes, they are god damn near everywhere

state: Nebraska
even within our own cities the diversity is ridiculous, but all stereotypes stem from somewhere...i honestly don't know what stereotypes are against us outside of all being farmers and being a state full of corn (neither are true, at least in my side of the state)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk

found that on tv tropes and i had never heard of that until searching for crap on my state..

for the most part people can ask me if they wanna know if a stereotype is true or not, as I don't travel TOO much nor watch that much tv so I'm not quite sure what "stereotypes" would be listed for my state/area outside of plains of nothingness (which is true on some parts of the state)

oh and we have the smallest town in the world supposedly..i forgot where it was but its inhabited by two people, and its all legal, the mom is the mayor/treasurer/etc.. and the son runs the other shit and runs the family bar from what i remember. so yeah, fun fact about Nebraska there i suppose

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Nathan Allison said:
Slaanax said:
What about y'all (you all)? Although it's more of a Southern thing.

It's Yinz here.

Sep 14, 2009
Slaanax said:
lumenadducere said:

California is a huge place, folks - one of the biggest states in the US. It's also an agricultural powerhouse and one of the economic backbones of the US despite its many issues today. We're not all beach bums and surfers.
3rd largest state Landmass I would think.

normally i am completely against grammar nazi's but holy shit that destroys my hearing when people use "warsh"....it annoys me to no end to hear it, i've finally destroyed my grandma's patience enough by correcting her for the billionth time into saying it the way that doesn't butcher all ears/english within earshot.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010

And from my home state of New York......yes it is true....sooo many people are pretty much this...EXACTLY...good thing is..Vinny(the male on the far left) comes from directly where I live and is like a 4.0 student and apparently a good guy who is in that for the money....but I mean...thats life man lol.

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
deadman91 said:
Australia. Jesus, where the hell do I start?

Well I guess not everything is out to kill you, we're very urban and multicultural, world leaders in many scientific and artistic fields (the lack of recognition for brilliant Australians gets many of my fellows mighty pissed sometimes), and half the slang often associated with us would in all likelihood (if said seriously) would get whoever said it beaten up.

And when I say we're urban, I mean that I've met Aussies who had never seen a kangaroo, koala or even a possum, could not tell the difference between a wattle and a bottle brush and thought that a waratah was a type of bird (these three things are plants).

However, there are a lot of stereotypes that are not only encouraged but often invented or pursued. I've listened to or joined in the terrifying of foreigners with talk of rapist kangaroos, yowies and bunyips (google the last two to understand where I'm coming from), convinced a visiting class that we keep kangaroos as pets (but they must be kept on a leash at all times and you must have a four meter fence).

That is not say that we aren't a bunch of drunken louts, because we are, and damned proud of it.

And, I understand that Sydney has the highest proportion of homosexuals in the world. This is an example of how open-minded and accepting Australia can be, but I should mention that our poofs could beat the shit out of your poofs any day of the week.

Australia, its land, people and culture are very much like the platypus. No I'm not going to explain that metaphor.
I dont know where you live, but im from country NSW, and a couple of the things you say, i can object to...

We are not all urban, and alot of things do try to kill us (Snakes, Spiders, Kangaroos, even wombats...), alot of slang is used around here (although, that just feels normal). Some people around here are very Anti-multicultural, and worry about the country being taken over

But, I know what you mean when you say some city people have never seen a kangaroo or other wild life / plants. It should be compulsary for city people to come to the country, and see how we live and see the sights, they will be more open minded and more understanding that city life isnt always the best life (Id take the bush any day)

And yes, We are bloody drunk bastards, and im proud of it!

Oh, and the stereotype of us riding kangaroo's to work are true, I swear it... and drop bears are real too

Edit: I forgot to mention another stereotype for around here... I live near a town called Bogan Gate, the road I drive on to work is called Bogan Road, In town, there is a street called Bogan St, We are full of bogans in disguise!

Valkaris

Jun 8, 2010
Everyone thinks everyone in Washington state loves dental floss and super glue. they think we like to put superglue on our floss and floss our teeth with it. this is NOT TRUE, we are actually normal people who clean our teeth like everyone else.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Valkaris said:
Everyone thinks everyone in Washington state loves dental floss and super glue. they think we like to put superglue on our floss and floss our teeth with it. this is NOT TRUE, we are actually normal people who clean our teeth like everyone else.
That really begs the question, where did they even get the idea that we do that?