Steve Jobs has Passed Away!? (UPDATED)

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Admittedly, I've always been a bit of an Apple head.

But today I'd much rather remember the man - a creative genius who saw the possibilities of technology far before almost anyone else did. Whether you were a fan or a hater, it simply cannot be denied that he was one of the most influential people in today's society and culture, and that his legacy has changed the world for the better.

Here's to the Crazy One.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
I first heard the news earlier today during a Quake Live "instagib" match. Someone said: "Steve Jobs is dead". Then someone else (or maybe it was the same guy, I was too busy trying not to die) said, "Long live Microsoft."

I thought to myself, "Steve Jobs? Dead? Yeah, bullshit." I'm not an Apple guy at all, never owned anything they have ever made, but you still don't imagine someone like him to just up and die. Then, when I checked my emails, I saw the news article.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Well this sucks. The impact he had on modern technology was pretty impressive and one such as he will be hard to replace. Even if I do think Macs are heaps of shit.

On the other hand, I can't be the only person who finds it hilariously ironic that the Twitter update from the Westboro jackasses was made using an iPhone.

TheDarkEricDraven said:
But I guess the people he touched sexually are also pretty broken up about it.
o_O
The fact that he's dead or the fact that he touched them sexually?

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
He was a good businessman. And it's always sad when someone dies of a particularly horrible disease like Pancreatic Cancer. Having said that.... he was a good BUSINESSMAN. Although he was involved with the nuts and bolts operations in the early days of Apple, like Bill Gates he did not actually invent anything for the past 10 years. He was a good manager, a good leader for his company - he set a goal and he managed his engineers and his team well. But at the end of the day, you know who you REALLY thank for the iPod and all the other Apple products that are loved by a lot of people? The nameless engineers and technicians and computer programmers and artistic designers. Steve Jobs was ONE person at Apple, and to see him deified like this, at the expense of the recognition of the workers underneath him who did MOST of the ACTUAL engineering is a bit sad. By all means, Steve Jobs deserves recognition has a savvy businessman and a tenacious, tireless manager and leader.... but to call him an "innovator" is a bit of a stretch. That's like giving credit for the invention of Deep Blue for whoever was head of IBM at the time. That's sort of like saying Bill Gates made Windows 7 (he didn't).

Steve Jobs was an important part of Apple, make no mistake. The Company will probably suffer without him and he saved Apple from obscurity. But it took more than one man to make Apple what it is today.

TO ALL THE NAMELESS ENGINEERS/COMPUTER SCIENTISTS/DESIGNERS/PROGRAMMERS WHO HAVE HAD THEIR WORK CREDITED TO SOMEONE ABOVE THEM (WHO DIDN'T ACTUALLY DO ANY OF THE WORK), I SALUTE YOU! And to Steve Jobs - you did well.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Oh noes!
Actually, I don't care about this man. But hey, he was famous so I guess I have to grieve a bit, right?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
RIP. Sure I don't care for Iphone and the only Apple I own is a Ipod but regardless he had many years ahead of him but as it wasn't meant to be.
Ha those Westboro Baptist Church will regret picking on him for they will get taste of wrath from the Apple fans!

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
TheDarkEricDraven said:
That he's dead. He seemed handsome, for his age. 'Course, thats gonna go once he starts rotting. I guess if he touched someone sexually now, yeah, that could be distressing.
Twas a joke, if you didn't get it. I assume you did, but... my experiences on this site have shown me that lots of people don't get jokes.

But yes, I would think that getting felt up by a corpse would be more than a little distressing to the majority of people.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
All Hail Lelouch said:
As you all know, Steve Jobs was the CEO of Apple Corporation. The Possibility of his death leaves me wondering what will happen to Apple as a whole.

i'm sure apple wont go anywhere, though it may loose some followers and market shares
but i imagine it will be insignificant.

as long as he's buried with
an i-platinum plated i-pad i-2 nano then i don't see an i-problem pro

as-long as i get buried with my life's work i'll be happy personally.

r.i.p steve,
we'll miss i-ing you :(

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Oh well.....
Well honest truth my only worry is that Microsoft will get ahead and then get lazy(er) as they lose a major competitor and have less reason to develop.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
"Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."

See you Steve.

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
I always respected Steve Jobs deeply for going his own way and doing his own thing. After seeing his speech at the 2005 Stanford Commencement he became a bit of a personal hero, despite my not owning any Apple products. Like at all. But he's still a huge source of inspiration, and I hope he was happy in life.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I dont like Apple much so i'll say a fond RIP to him as the man who gave us PIXAR.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Korolev said:
He was a good businessman. And it's always sad when someone dies of a particularly horrible disease like Pancreatic Cancer. Having said that.... he was a good BUSINESSMAN. Although he was involved with the nuts and bolts operations in the early days of Apple, like Bill Gates he did not actually invent anything for the past 10 years. He was a good manager, a good leader for his company - he set a goal and he managed his engineers and his team well. But at the end of the day, you know who you REALLY thank for the iPod and all the other Apple products that are loved by a lot of people? The nameless engineers and technicians and computer programmers and artistic designers. Steve Jobs was ONE person at Apple, and to see him deified like this, at the expense of the recognition of the workers underneath him who did MOST of the ACTUAL engineering is a bit sad. By all means, Steve Jobs deserves recognition has a savvy businessman and a tenacious, tireless manager and leader.... but to call him an "innovator" is a bit of a stretch. That's like giving credit for the invention of Deep Blue for whoever was head of IBM at the time. That's sort of like saying Bill Gates made Windows 7 (he didn't).

Steve Jobs was an important part of Apple, make no mistake. The Company will probably suffer without him and he saved Apple from obscurity. But it took more than one man to make Apple what it is today.

TO ALL THE NAMELESS ENGINEERS/COMPUTER SCIENTISTS/DESIGNERS/PROGRAMMERS WHO HAVE HAD THEIR WORK CREDITED TO SOMEONE ABOVE THEM (WHO DIDN'T ACTUALLY DO ANY OF THE WORK), I SALUTE YOU! And to Steve Jobs - you did well.
I wholeheartedly agree - I'm no big fan of apple and their policies and work practices, nor of how jobs managed his company - but I cannot deny that he really did well in his life.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
ultimateownage said:
I hate both Apple and Steve Jobs, but death is never a good thing. So I'll refrain from commenting on it for now.
I know my dad hasn't though. He's basically one step away from running around the house singing that he's dead.
I dunno, when Saddam Hussein died there were a lot less mass graves and rape rooms... You decide what your life is worth to the rest of the world I guess.

I don't know much about jobs other than he invented iPods and one of his employees committed suicide for some reason. Sorry? I dunno. You'd think someone as rich as he was could afford top of the line medical care to replace his pancreas with like, am experimental robo-pancreas. What's the point of making a shit ton of money when you don't get awesome stuff like that?

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
Berserker119 said:
Quoting one of my friends: "As much as I gave him shit, I never wished death upon him. He was a good, driven man who fuelled competition and innovation."

RIP Steve.
Instead of copying what everyone else said im just gonna agree with this one
agree