Steve Jobs resigns from Apple

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Gizmodo said:
Apple's board of directors announced today that Steve Jobs has resigned as the company's CEO. Tim Cook has been named CEO and Jobs has taken a position as chairman of the board.
http://gizmodo.com/5834141/steve-jobs-resigns-as-apple-ceo

So the big man resigns. Will Apple keep going strong? Will the plunging stocks recover quickly? Why resign now?

Questions and not alot of answers.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
I wonder if he's giving himself time to pop the golden parachute. However, resign? That usually carries some negative connotations with it. Retire would have made me right this off. I wonder if the board outed him. Well, I'll read the article and find out.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Edit- stupid internet confusing me making me think my post didn't go through! My more full opinion is further down >_>

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I wonder how the market strategy for Apple will go now?

Anyways, this is pretty surreal. I sure didn't see it coming.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Haha, I read this thread immediately after I read this [http://twitter.com/#!/stephenfry/statuses/106506685304160256]

I really don't care though. I've never bought an apple product.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
I think the guy who designs and came up with he ideas for many of the apple products is still working though (I forget his name, in any case the scrolling wheel and slide menus were all him too), so I don't think the products will take a hit.

I don't think Apply will stay being so popular though, without their Cult Leader the consumers will be lost and confused.

OldGus

Feb 1, 2011
As far as why resign now, I'm gonna go ahead and agree with the article that it's probably health reasons. Despite Jobs himself, pancreatic is one of the more deadly cancers. To then have a liver transplant 5 years later?

nklshaz

Nov 27, 2010
I really hope he's not doing this because they are about to introduce a really unpopular terms and agreement policy. If that's why, then he probably just wants to stay in a position of power without taking the full force of the shit storm. I doubt this would happen, I'm just thinking "What If?" I'm sure the company will be fine. They have a good marketing formula going, and I'm sure they'll stick with it.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
If anyone here watches the Apple keynotes you'll notice Steve did less talking than he normally does in the new ones. He was obviously trying to get the company and the audience comfortable without him. Plus Steve probably left Apple with plans for the next 20 years. Stocks will go down, yes. Then Apple will announce the next iPhone and the stocks will go back up and all will be good. I have faith in Apple. It's not going downhill anytime soon.

metal eslaved

Sep 9, 2010
the stocks are going to fall for the next few weeks and then it would recover or the company could go on freefall and send the market in bigger economic depression.

im pretty sure is going to be the first one.

and he is still on the board of directors and if something bad happens he will likely comebac as ceo.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Here I was expecting him to get fired again. Perhaps he did resign before the axe inevitably came.
Not like it's a bad thing for him. He still has his position on Disney's board, as well as this chairman spot with Apple. He just reduced his position from a seat of command to a seat of strong influence.
I'm hoping this brings about some progression with Apple instead of the walking in sludge it has been doing under his thumb.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
As long as Jobs is watching things, Apple won't be asking Microsoft for "Staying alive" money. It's good he's still watching things, even though I'm a hardcore windows guy, The last thing I want to see is Apple tank again.

Ryhzuo

Sep 19, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
Maybe the board got sick of him being silly.

An average Tuesday for Steve:

S: So, I was thinking we should re-design this product and make it available in six months. And by redesign I mean make squarer... bitches love squarer.

E1: That sounds like a good idea, we could make more money out of simply giving it a new casing.

S: Let's not forget adding capabilities the first one should have had and all it's current rivials have.

E2: You mean like Flash?

S: What now?

E2: Adobe flash, most our products don't support it. Or any third party applications that all the other products available support.

S: I'm sorry, but were you just speaking in Greek?
Can we please not turn this thread into another tech flame war?

Personally I am sad to see Steve go, but his health has been in decline for a while now so it's not surprising. He'll most likely have a big influence on the company as chairman of the board, it's just that he won't be the "face" of Apple anymore. I expect stocks to drop a bit, but Apple's got a strong product lineup, they'll pull through somehow (for a few years at least)

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Meh. I'm pretty sure the only reason Apple took Jobs back to begin with was to establish a tie to Disney via Pixar.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I found out through Tay Zonday, lol...

<youtube=rKmVxvHGR9k&feature=feedu>