Steven Spielberg Doesn't Like Cutscenes

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
He forgets the cutscenes when the game starts him back in action? I think he needs to cut down if it's starting to affect his short-term memory :p

I haven't played CoD4, but of what I hear the storytelling in that game was dynamic and powerful.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Are we going to listen to the guy who assisted in killing Indy?

But seriously, he makes a good point, I've always appreciated the lack of cut-scenes in the Half-life series, makes me feel more attached to the action.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Hankage said:
Killed? I though he and George Lucas <a href=http://www.videosift.com/video/South-Park-All-the-Lucas-Spielburg-rape-Indy-scenes>raped him.
Got I love that episode. This is what South Park is good at. Making you cring and laugh.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
I would like to know what he would have to say about MGS4, sadly i havent played it but ive heard it has cutscenes more than a half hour long.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
Who cares? Why does Spielberg's opinion matter? He should be considered as irrelevent as Lucas is.
broadband said:
I would like to know what he would have to say about MGS4, sadly i havent played it but ive heard it has cutscenes more than a half hour long.
MGS4 has more than HOUR long cutscenes, It's kind of ridiculous.

Murian

Nov 23, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
How was that a lack of cut-scenes? If anything those were worse, as you still had to sit there listening, but you didn't have any decent cinematography.
I also think they ar actually a bit worse than normal cutscenes - everybody else is playing a set role, so you twiddle your thumbs or mess around with whatever junk is lying around and sometimes end up missing some of what they put into those moments because you didn't have the best camera angle.

"Prepare for unforeseen consequences"

In my first playthrough I didn't even realise the G-Man was all over the screens when Alyx said that in Episode 2...

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
Now if Spielberg ever made a single good movie... his opinion might have a bit more weight to it.

Sadly, the only movie Spielberg ever made that even came close was yet another heavy-handed, poorly directed snore-fest Schindler's List.

Seriously, name me one Spielberg movie that comes even somewhat close to Mulholland Drive, The Mirror (Tarkovsky... any of his movies, really), 2001, or even In The Mood For Love.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
TomNook said:
He should just start making games.
He has. Boom Blox. Great fun.
I'm sorry, but I have a personal reason for hating Boom Blox. Look up a game called Toblo. Eerily similar.

Nov 28, 2007
OuroborosChoked said:
Now if Spielberg ever made a single good movie... his opinion might have a bit more weight to it.

Sadly, the only movie Spielberg ever made that even came close was yet another heavy-handed, poorly directed snore-fest Schindler's List.

Seriously, name me one Spielberg movie that comes even somewhat close to Mulholland Drive, The Mirror (Tarkovsky... any of his movies, really), 2001, or even In The Mood For Love.
Jaws? Duel? Indys I,II, and III?

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
I guess I agree with Spielberg here... I've always been a fan of the interactive cutscenes, or the games that have scripted events, because I feel that they use the advantage given by video games: control. That said, the occasional cutscene (kept somewhat short) is great, but something like 1/2 hour cutscenes are a no-go.

Anstrup

Dec 8, 2008
I agree.

The best games, have a storyline that goess hand in hand with gameplay, like Yahtzee said as well. Like Half-life and portal.

Dealin Burgers

Feb 21, 2008
I'm gonna agree that the lack of cutscenes in Half-Life was good... but it could have been better than standing around listening to other's progress the story.

goncalobms

Nov 15, 2008
Like it has been said before ... cut scenes replacing loading screens are great ... still the fact remains that during a cut scene you put the controller down (or step away from the keyboard or whatever) ... that means you detach yourself from the interaction with the game ... you turn into a spectator

If you manage to incorporate cut scenes that keep you on the hedge of your seat and you run through a game hours in before you even dare to put down the controller to get something to drink or answer nature's call, then they will have made a breakthrough!

And I'm talking about more (much more) than using the fart expression on F2 during a funeral (obviously)

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
thebobmaster said:
OuroborosChoked said:

Jaws? Duel? Indys I,II, and III?
Saving Private Ryan? Munich? Close Encounters?
BZZT! Thanks for playing. We DO have some lovely parting gifts for our contestants, though...

Guys, don't you think I've taken into account the movies he's made when I said he's never made a good movie?