Steven Universe Corrupted Gems question

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
For fellow fans of Steven Universe, I pose a question to you all. Considering the focus on the war against the Gem Homeworld, do you doods think the creators will resolve the Corrupted Gem plotline that was the focus earlier on? Do you think that, before the story ends, the Crystal Gems are going to figure out how to change those Corrupted Gems back to normal?

On that note, what type of gem do you doods think Centipeedle was before she was turned into a monster? Personally, my money's on her being a Peridot or Pearl (Peridot because of her color palette, Pearl because her hair's more loose compared to Peridot's glorified fro).

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Well,
there's an episode coming up called "Monster Reunion", which I'd say has 1 95% chance of featuring Centipeedle, which may start answering some of those questions.

And my guess is a Cat's Eye Emerald.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Heal them completely? I don't know. Probably not, because the Cluster alone would take probably most of Steven's life to fix.

But maybe find some way to help them adapt, be it fusion into a coherent gem like Garnet, or maybe just stable "monster" forms where they can control themselves and not be rampaging.

Then again, this show, while being able to be pretty dark at times, has never gone full grim, "This is life, deal with it kid" level, so I wouldn't be surprised if, by the end, Steven has found some way to use his healing powers on a massive level and is able to heal them all instantly.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Heal them completely? I don't know. Probably not, because the Cluster alone would take probably most of Steven's life to fix.

But maybe find some way to help them adapt, be it fusion into a coherent gem like Garnet, or maybe just stable "monster" forms where they can control themselves and not be rampaging.

Then again, this show, while being able to be pretty dark at times, has never gone full grim, "This is life, deal with it kid" level, so I wouldn't be surprised if, by the end, Steven has found some way to use his healing powers on a massive level and is able to heal them all instantly.
Wasn't the whole Cluster situation already pretty solved at this point though?

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
McMarbles said:
Well,
there's an episode coming up called "Monster Reunion", which I'd say has 1 95% chance of featuring Centipeedle, which may start answering some of those questions.

And my guess is a Cat's Eye Emerald.
Is it because of her green color?, and the eye-like marking on her gem?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
DarklordKyo said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

Oh, oh my no. Something falls down a crack in the Earth and pop's that bubble, Earth's got a very big problem on it's hands. Especially if the thing is a newly minted fusion addict.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
DarklordKyo said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

It is contained, and as we saw, it doesn't really want to destroy the Earth, so it's not a threat at the moment. But it/they are far from healed. The shards are still broken, and they are still trapped. It's just that they aren't miserable in their imprisonment anymore.

altnameJag said:
DarklordKyo said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

Oh, oh my no. Something falls down a crack in the Earth and pop's that bubble, Earth's got a very big problem on it's hands. Especially if the thing is a newly minted fusion addict.
And that is a very good point.

While I'm still not on board with Jasper falling all the way down to the Earth's core because that is a seriously long way to fall, (I see her maybe coming across other Gem mutants are leading a sort of monster army), I would not be surprised if that is what happens.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Maybe when Homeworld eventually does another full on invasion, the cluster will pop back up to defend earth at the last second, as those who defended it the first time remember who they were, and those who attacked realized the horrors of their actions.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Interesting ideas I gleamed from earlier posts:
Jasper finding/fusing/(forcefully) with the cluster
Steven Getting smaller Forced Fusions to become more clam happier with their present state if no full restructuring is quickly done.
Though I'm thinking the Temple's Gem Collection will likely be revived suddenly and violently before a healing effect from Steven sways them back to normal with some Gems being on both sides while some convert soon after due to Steven's kindness ( Centipeedle, Lighthouse, Serious Steven's Temple Core
& Maybe even Desert Glass [it got to be a part of a pillow fort for a bit.])in there broken state or through a Speech by Centipeedle telling of their aid during crisis on top of Yellow Diamond's wishes to destroy the planet they still existed on just to have access to the results of what the cluster could be.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
The worst thing about the Cluster is that someone thought bonding millions of tortured souls together was a good idea

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
My guess with the cluster? All the Gem shards weren't really 'aware' of eachother. What if...as their bubbled their still able to communicate? Remember Steven showing them how he put together two pieces to make something new? I think that all the gem shards will create a new gestalt personality. A little bit of every gem working together to create a new being. They'll heal that way.

And I have long guessed that Steven will find a way to heal the 'monster' or corrupted gems. That will be how they fight off homeworld. With an army of healed gems who all 'Believe in Steven'.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
Honestly, the shows far too optimistic to let the rest of the crystal gems remain monsters.

I fully expect some final that involves some sort of healing wave that reverses all the damage done
To be fair, the show's creators aren't above adding a bit of cynicism (like how there have been multiple times where characters held legit grudges for major slights. That's on top of some of the really dark stuff (like the gem experiments being both body horror and rape symbolism).

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Honestly, the shows far too optimistic to let the rest of the crystal gems remain monsters.

I fully expect some final that involves some sort of healing wave that reverses all the damage done
Which is why I can't keep watching it. somehow, Steven always seems to avoid learning the horrible truth that sometimes things just go wrong. And theres no rhyme or reason for it, and theres nothing you can do about it.

Apr 25, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
DudeistBelieve said:
undeadsuitor said:

Which is why I can't keep watching it. somehow, Steven always seems to avoid learning the horrible truth that sometimes things just go wrong. And theres no rhyme or reason for it, and theres nothing you can do about it.
Yeah but what fun is that. Steven universe is already more mature of a show than every batman and superman comic combined, that delves into interpersonal conflict and heavy themes deeper than than every other cartoon.

Why does it need to be hopelessly dark just so a bunch of young males can jerk off to how dark it is.

Besides, there's already characters that represents that. Jasper. And the diamond authority.
I say give it time. Steven has gotten off scott-free for many mistakes so far purely by luck or the help of his friends. He has grown a LOT since we were first introduced to him (seriously, go watch the first couple of episodes again and notice the difference) but I'm sure at some point he is going to have the realisation that sometimes things just go wrong. That doesn't mean he has to be torn apart as a character and rebuilt from the ground up. He's already learnt a ton of lessons so far. And something that catastrophic would probably have to essentially change the structure of the show, and I don't think the story is ready for that. He is just a kid after all, and he already has a ton of complex things to comprehend.

Adventure Time did do that quite well though. Finn was basically made to hit rock bottom and crawl his way back up to finding his own rebirth. It was very cool. The writing in AT recently has taken some strange turns (not always for the better) but it's always fascinating to watch.

njrk97

May 30, 2011
Currently we seem to know so little about the corruption, some theories think it something physiological or to do with the mind. While other weigh on it being some sort of weapon that the Diamond Authority used on Earth. Regardless it pretty likely that it will be elaborated on later in the series, Its been established Steven has some sort of power to enter gem's minds in his dreams so that will most likely tie in.

As for the Centipeetle
We saw in both this episode and 'The Answer' that gems of the same type have the same gemstone shape, Pearls all have the same Oval/circular gem, same with all the Rubies we saw aswell. Some it seems likely that all Peridots all have the same shape as our Peridot, meaning its unlikely to be a Pearl, Peridot or frankly any other gem we have seen in the show.
My money is on
Or

Technically Chrysoprase is sorta part of the Quartz gem family (Sorta) Its complicated look it up if you want to know, but the basics are that Prase can mean chlorite-included quartz. It also part of the chalcedony family which is composed of very fine intergrowths of quartz and moganite. Considering how the Centipeetle hair seems to resemble how all the other Quartz's hair looked (Large in mass,long, potentially spiky in Jasper and Amethysts case). I'm inclined to believe it is a Quartz aswell.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
DudeistBelieve said:
undeadsuitor said:

Yeah but what fun is that. Steven universe is already more mature of a show than every batman and superman comic combined, that delves into interpersonal conflict and heavy themes deeper than than every other cartoon.

Why does it need to be hopelessly dark just so a bunch of young males can jerk off to how dark it is.

Besides, there's already characters that represents that. Jasper. And the diamond authority.
It doesn't.

It should be a challenge to present that message in an honest way, while still maintaining its optimism.

after all people do have that, a positive attitude despite having the deck stacked against them. I don't rightfully know how they do, but they do.

EDIT: and on paper the show is very dark. the only reason it appears lighthearted at all is our POV for everything is Steven.

In the very first episode, Pearl SNAPS A CREATURE'S NECK.

Apr 25, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
Digi7 said:
undeadsuitor said:
DudeistBelieve said:
undeadsuitor said:

I say give it time. Steven has gotten off scott-free for many mistakes so far purely by luck or the help of his friends. He has grown a LOT since we were first introduced to him (seriously, go watch the first couple of episodes again and notice the difference) but I'm sure at some point he is going to have the realisation that sometimes things just go wrong. That doesn't mean he has to be torn apart as a character and rebuilt from the ground up. He's already learnt a ton of lessons so far. And something that catastrophic would probably have to essentially change the structure of the show, and I don't think the story is ready for that. He is just a kid after all, and he already has a ton of complex things to comprehend.

Adventure Time did do that quite well though. Finn was basically made to hit rock bottom and crawl his way back up to finding his own rebirth. It was very cool. The writing in AT recently has taken some strange turns (not always for the better) but it's always fascinating to watch.
We've already had that plot though in "Full disclosure" where the weight of the war with homeworld and it's effects on the earth are fully realized by steven. Who, with the help of town idiot and audience surrogate Ronaldo, becomes the brooding hero everyone wants.

For about 10 minutes before the show slaps the shit out of him through Garnet and Connie because that's not the show or steven.

Adventure time is great, and does a good job portraying the world for how it is now, but steven universe is a show of how it could/should be

And that includes a young boy predominantly displayed with the color pink, whose purely defensive powerset is driven by feelings of love, compassion and understanding. And that's how he's going to defeat his enemies.
Honestly as I was writing that I was thinking of that whole sequence with the invasion and kidnapping and wondering to myself 'Hasn't he already kind of done that and came through a stronger and more mature person as a result?'

Yeah, Rebecca Sugar's creative flair really lends itself to the gentle, simple and poignant, which Steven Universe has in bucketloads. I really adore her work. Her music, writing and especially her drawing.