Stolen Pixels #10: Gameplay Tutorial

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #10: Gameplay Tutorial

In this edition of Stolen Pixels, Shamus Young points out that stone walls do not a prison make, but clipboards and a scowl apparently make one heck of a cage.

AceCalhoon

Aug 8, 2008
Maybe I'm just naive/oblivious, but I didn't think that they ever established Desmond as an assassin (which would explain why he didn't start to get "assassin powers" until the end of the game).

Ah well, it's still funny :)

ChurchV50

Jun 13, 2008
Whoa! it's like Ubi said, "Just how many metagames do you think we can get someone to play?"

Ace, they do finally let slip that Desmond is there because he and his parents and so on are all assassins.

And they could have at least let you walk faster in the "prison." Its like they were trying to drag another hour of game-length out of Desmond's inability to move with any urgency!

OverlordSteve

Jul 8, 2008
You know, you actually can escape from them at the end. It has to do with the weird code you get slipped about the end of the second mission.

AceCalhoon

Aug 8, 2008
ChurchV50 said:
Whoa! it's like Ubi said, "Just how many metagames do you think we can get someone to play?"

Ace, they do finally let slip that Desmond is there because he and his parents and so on are all assassins.

And they could have at least let you walk faster in the "prison." Its like they were trying to drag another hour of game-length out of Desmond's inability to move with any urgency!
Wow, I can't believe I missed and/or forgot about that. Still, he's not exactly an assassin :)

Goenitz

Jul 22, 2008
ChurchV50 said:
Holy Christ yes, and that wasnt the only time I felt that way in Assassin's Creed.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
That strip actualy felt alot like Concerened, infact your Desmond is a slightly less malicious Gordon Frohman.

You rock man. ^^

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
sammyfreak said:
That strip actualy felt alot like Concerened, infact your Desmond is a slightly less malicious Gordon Frohman.

You rock man. ^^
High praise indeed. Concerned was outstanding.

zebubble

Apr 28, 2008
Haha, I thought some of that stuff too.

*Spoilers*

That chick your with is also an assassin. At one point when talking to her she puts her hand on her chest but folds down her ring finger, which Altair had cut off for the hidden blade.

Blue_Wizard

Aug 8, 2008
You are supposed to be in one of the core Buildings of the Mega-Company with its own private army that is about to rule the world, in a room full of cameras, and obviously many many guards outside. For an assassin that never completed training, having left at age 16 from the camp, Desmond is smarter than you.

((I love the comic and Twenty Sided, but I just couldn't resist :p))

StingRay02

Jul 22, 2008
I despised that part of the game for so many reasons. As for the army, guards and cameras, Blue Wizard, wouldn't they get a little pissed that you're snooping around in their computer system? I figure they'd have something to say with their fists about that.

The thing that really bugged me, though, was that those scenes were usually nothing but cutscenes. Unskippable, incredibly boring and long cutscenes. I guess they were trying to do the Prince of Persia "That's not how the story went" excuse for having a HUD and game over screens, but it failed for me. Failed miserably.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Those who know about the "Milgram Experiment" - I think the results were like, 66% of the people "electrocuting" the subject on the other side stopped at 300/450 volts, while the rest went all the way, none went less then 300, only because a guy in a lab coat (Scowl optional) said so.

2 people recreated the experiment using a real shock, and instead of a person acting, it was a puppy actually getting shocked - 80 percent went to the highest voltage...so statistically 8 out of 10 people would torture the shit out of a puppy because a guy in a lab coat said to do it.

A scowl and a white coat, MAYBE a name tag, and you've got everyone wrapped around your finger. Imagine if you had a uniform, or a badge?

Blue_Wizard said:
You are supposed to be in one of the core Buildings of the Mega-Company with its own private army that is about to rule the world, in a room full of cameras, and obviously many many guards outside. For an assassin that never completed training, having left at age 16 from the camp, Desmond is smarter than you.

((I love the comic and Twenty Sided, but I just couldn't resist :p))
Ha, gives him a perfect opportunity to sabatoge the hell out of Abstergo, I got lots of video feed showing me stealing pens and reading e-mails but nothing ever happened - no one questioned why their Pens where missing, nothing. They should have done better at making you feel like there is now way out.

ChurchV50 said:
Where were you during the rest of the game? Walking = not a threat, Running = Kill on sight.

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
Glad to see someone besides me thought the plot of this game was written by an imbecile.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
My god, Desmond DOES look like Gordon Frohman...

More of this sort of thing!

Yeah, the supposedly secure room, and taking the pens... I actually missed one of them, it was incredibly subtle as to when they were available.

He's not an assassin in the "trained killer" sense. He's an assassin in the "bloodline and upbringing" sense. That's why, even away from his nomadic modern-assassin parents, he tried to stay completely off the grid; no phone, no credit card - just the driving license for his motorbike caught him out.

ChurchV50

Jun 13, 2008
Arab, normally I'd agree, but tell me you didn't break into a dead run when no one was looking in the game. Desmond gets left all by his lonesome during every break. I'd have settled for a brisker walk.

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
ChurchV50 said:
Arab, normally I'd agree, but tell me you didn't break into a dead run when no one was looking in the game. Desmond gets left all by his lonesome during every break. I'd have settled for a brisker walk.
Only when no-one was looking? Haha, that's a daredevil assassin for you right there. I think I spent most of the game in a dead run... and when I got the tackle manoeuvre, no guard was safe.

Yeah, I spent a lot of the game running and hiding, too.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Niccolo said:
ChurchV50 said:
Only when no-one was looking? Haha, that's a daredevil assassin for you right there. I think I spent most of the game in a dead run... and when I got the tackle manoeuvre, no guard was safe.

Yeah, I spent a lot of the game running and hiding, too.
lol, I climbed everything in front of the guards, what do I get? "Oh what a strange man!"

*sneezes*

"ASSASSSIIIIN!!!" *keeps running, tackles everyone, sits on a bench - guards give up*

Still, yes Church I was only joking - Desmond practically defeated the purpose of being able to explore, since it took him 5 minutes to get off the animus, and then walk to his bedroom.