Stolen Pixels #134: The Devil in the Details

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #134: The Devil in the Details

Sometimes you're better off not knowing.

Read Full Article

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Capo Taco said:
how is the combat fun?
The combat is very action-oriented. You have to block and you tend to move around a lot. This is in contrast to some of the more number-crunchy MMO's, where you stand still and usually watch your button bar to manage cooldowns. In CO, you're always watching the action.

It's still an MMO, though. Don't go in expecting Street Fighter or anything. :)

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Hoppetussa said:
Awesome as always. Will the next comic also be about Champions Online?
Nope. I think we need to move on, or at least take a break from Champs.
Aw shame! I'm enjoying these :(

Also, this quest is nowhere near as ridiculous as the one after next on that. You know the one, where you have to get the Gadroon (frog-alien) courier, who is dressed as a pizza delivery boy...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
That's kinda like me in WoW, except that the quests actually make some degree of sense. Somebody will comment about how he's doing a quest, killing some dudes for reasons he isn't entirely sure if but hey it's free experience. Then I tune-in, having actually read the text for that mission. The usual response is along the lines of "Oh, alright."

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
The quest text: Bane of every MMO quester's existance.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard someone ask "Where is Mankrik's wife" in World of Warcraft, I'd be a very rich person. Because it, much like it was shown here, is right in the quest text.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Alas, I always read the mission text. In full. Rereading it if there's something that I don't understand.

What can I say, my imagination isn't the greatest; plus I like putting my trust in the scriptwriter's storytelling ability.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Well, at least it's not a clickfest MMO like some I could mention... (Guild Wars, 2Moons, WoW, etc)

Feb 13, 2008
City of... never had such silly quests, especially not Pop the Infected like Balloons, Ice Slide to Victory, Rescue Dr. Frank.N.Furter, Rescue Penelope from her Hooded Lawyer and his Wacky Henchmen...

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
City of... never had such silly quests, especially not Pop the Infected like Balloons, Ice Slide to Victory, Rescue Dr. Frank.N.Furter, Rescue Penelope from her Hooded Lawyer and his Wacky Henchmen...
1) I don't remember those, but then I only played for a few months, and didn't read the mission text often. (Because they were so generic.)
2) They sound like they are stupid / silly on purpose, as opposed to silly because the writer is off his meds.
3) I don't think those quests are representative of CoX as a whole.
4) I was never a great fan of the writing in CoX. In its defense, it was dull / jokey, not schizophrenic, stupid, lazy, and nonsensical. Whether or not this is an improvement is a matter of taste, I suppose.