Stolen Pixels #134: The Devil in the Details

Feb 13, 2008
Shamus Young said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
City of... never had such silly quests, especially not Pop the Infected like Balloons, Ice Slide to Victory, Rescue Dr. Frank.N.Furter, Rescue Penelope from her Hooded Lawyer and his Wacky Henchmen...
1) I don't remember those, but then I only played for a few months, and didn't read the mission text often. (Because they were so generic.)
2) They sound like they are stupid / silly on purpose, as opposed to silly because the writer is off his meds.
3) I don't think those quests are representative of CoX as a whole.
4) I was never a great fan of the writing in CoX. In its defense, it was dull / jokey, not schizophrenic, stupid, lazy, and nonsensical. Whether or not this is an improvement is a matter of taste, I suppose.
City Of Villains: Help Dr. Creed test the Anti-Serum
City of Heroes: Frostfire (C'mon Shamus, you must have done that one)
City of Heroes: Faultline : All the bosses are named after the cars in Wacky Races
City of Heroes: Police Band: Ah, my mistake, it's Frank.N.Scott, but it does have the whole "Brad!" "Janet!" scene in there.

Not to mention rescueing Ayn Race(The writer), Dr. William Deering(beedi beedi), Ninevah Sing from the DataLore lab or Jake Emmet, the famous MMO designer.

And you weren't a great fan? Did you not play the Seer Marino arc? That was godlike.

And anything with Captain Aeon was a scream.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Wow, I'm glad I only read the text when I was in the n00b area...Its just crazy that they are that...zany on the text.

Good comic as always.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Shamus Young said:
Capo Taco said:
how is the combat fun?
The combat is very action-oriented. You have to block and you tend to move around a lot. This is in contrast to some of the more number-crunchy MMO's, where you stand still and usually watch your button bar to manage cooldowns. In CO, you're always watching the action.

It's still an MMO, though. Don't go in expecting Street Fighter or anything. :)
Still sounds good though! Thanks!

Ari Ace

Sep 1, 2009
Hahaha this is why I find WoW to be superior to many other mmorpg's. Some missions are either boring or fun but at least they make sense. The same goes for a Anarchy Online, something I played a long time ago. The location and the mission must have some kind off connection otherwise we may as well make up our own story from scratch. Lazy ass developers...

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I guess they heard about your complaints, because in their Unity Missions, Cryptic is now punishing us for not reading not reading the mission text.

[a href="http://www.mashon.com/championsonline/player/45996"]Here is a comic[/a] I made about it.

xscoot

Sep 8, 2009
This is a good thing, why do you all hate it?

It's meant to be a non-serious game. You know that these idiotic texts add to the charm, and deep in your heart, you wouldn't have it any other way.