Stolen Pixels #145: Re: Your Box Art

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
orannis62 said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Shamus Young said:
What happens when the wrong audience shows up?
Probably about the same thing as when all the Halo fan-boys picked up Fallout 3... You guys should've seen the forums on xbox.com... it was hilarious!
Oh, god, that does sound funny. I think I can imagine it, but do you remember any specific quotes?
I don't remember any specific quotes, but I can give you an idea:

"Worst FPS EVAR!"

"Why don't my guns do any/so little damage?"

"This game is SO boing!"

...You get the idea.

CrashTestZombie

Mar 13, 2009
"Hey, Tim, do you want to play my copy of Mass Effect 2?"

"Hell no, that game has terrible box art!"

"But the reviewers said-"

"No! How dare they put terrible box art on a (possibly) good game! It is all their fault I don't play games with bad box art!

OT: Good comic. Loved the Halo/EA box art.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
This is officially my favorite comic. I personally like the cover art though.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Holy crap! I thought the first one was a joke!

I've seen better artwork on the old Atari boxes.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
It's obvious that the cover is specifically aiming for a retro 70's Sci-Fi theme; the alien and the girl are too blatantly old school to be accidental. The only problem is that the GAME doesn't aim for that retro 70's Sci-Fi theme, so it feels like false advertising. You buy the game because the cover makes it look like a throw-back to older Sci-Fi films, then you play the game and everything is extremely shiny and it looks like just another modern Sci-Fi.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Two things:

1) That last one is brilliant. BRILLIANT I SAY.

2) It is just sad how similar Halo and Mass Effect are.

IrishBerserker said:
The games cover actually reminds me of the Star Wars movie covers.
I, also, got this impression. Maybe it's the Episode I or II covers that we got that from.

Scarlet Knight said:
I can't wait for "Space Tits" the movie!
It would not take a big stretch of the imagination to expect that it's already been done.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
It's Bioware. They already have the RPG fans. Putting Halo-ish box art on there is not going to scare off anybody who likes leveling up and assigning stats.

Grabbing the Halo fans is a logical business move, and i commend them. Who knows? Maybe some of them will actually read the dialog and become semi-literate, or stop using "fag" as a punctuation mark.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
The problem with the box art is that it is essentially generic. The problem with any other box art is that, odds are, it couldn't attract more people that weren't going to buy it already.

For example: the first box art that was used for advertising ME2 was just a particularly beat up piece of the hull with M7 readible though the scratches and dents.

The problem: you really can't tell what exactly the game is, even if they put the title somewhere on the cover. Is it a space-ship battle simulator? Is it a FPS? Is it even a game?

The solution: put the "main" characters on the cover to relay the shooter aspect of the game.

Odds are that they will dish out a much nicer cover for a deluxe version that those of us who are RPG whores (just admit it if you are, I know I am) can have something else to look at if we want to play the game.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
i have to give you this Shamus, that halo boxart actually is better then the real ones. except for original

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I think this is a serious case of over thinking. It's probably a bland cover because they didn't put a lot of effort into it. Or they/there focus group kinda liked it. I don't think it has to be some insideous marketing ploy: Its just that they did a sub-par job on the least important part of the game. I think your looking for patterns where none exist.