Stolen Pixels #190: Max Blame, Part 1

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Benjeezy said:
Jaredin said:
He did have alot of monologues. Its hilarious how he would try and sound so poetic, whislt putting a shotgun to someones face lol
Do you mean to tell me that it's impossible to wax eloquent as a counterpoint to brutal violence?
Who says it has to be a counterpoint?
Well, I know I am growing tired of the debate agreggating endless. I, for one, still stand in my place; where Ebert is nothing but a blowhard narcissist. But I do look forward to seeing Max Payne in the middle of it all.
TheFacelessOne said:
....I want to walk into a Starbucks and say, "I walked into Starbucks on break, the usual thirty minutes. Twenty-four left. I get up to the counter and ask the lady, "Get some coffee and a muffin to go." I sit at a table as I wait, contemplating my latest problem at my work..."
Someone in that shop is going to start snapping in rhythm. Bet you a latte'.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
TheFacelessOne said:
....I want to walk into a Starbucks and say, "I walked into Starbucks on break, the usual thirty minutes. Twenty-four left. I get up to the counter and ask the lady, "Get some coffee and a muffin to go." I sit at a table as I wait, contemplating my latest problem at my work..."
Someone in that shop is going to start snapping in rhythm. Bet you a latte'.
That'd be awesome - but I don't drink coffee.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
You know my trick? Mutter the monologe very quietly under your breath and twitch your head randomly every once and a while. Nobody bugs you over that.

EDIT: On the games are/aren't art subject: There's really good arguments that the necessity for interaction is in itself a reason to not consider a game art, as the piece is not complete without the player (MGS4 aside). However, Modern art often has some level of interactivity, either in a mental or physical way that the viewer is engaged with it (one of my personal favorate pieces to bash was a series of five sentences and the piece of "art" was the image tha you came up with mentially).

As for Ebert, every generation has it's cranky old critics: Comic books, Table top games, whatever was going on in the '60s and '70s , and now video games. He's just transitioning into the "stubborn old guy who claims everything was better during his time" stage, along with a lot of others.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
The Gentleman said:
EDIT: On the games are/aren't art subject: There's really good arguments that the necessity for interaction is in itself a reason to not consider a game art, as the piece is not complete without the player (MGS4 aside).
As much as I dislike Kojima for being the world's most overrated hack writer just because he's writing for video games, he's actually done a lot in the "games as art" area. Take the simple concept that to get bugs off your rations you quickly move the inventory bar up and down, as if you're actually shaking your rations rather than just looking flicking through a visual representation of your items. Now that's genuinely clever!

nnnnnn

Jul 16, 2009
Wonder if Max has nightmares where he's Mark Wahlberg? That's got to be worse than tho one where he finds his murdered family.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Shamus Young said:
I would hope that after a long run like that the public would allow me to hold an unpopular opinion without me becoming a pariah.
BURN THE WITCH!

But no, seriously, it's not worth getting worked up over, especially based on the opinion of someone who doesn't actually play games at all. (It'd be like listening to someone as if they were a film critic, when they have not actually watched a film in their lives.)

Personally, I think that games *can be* art, but that most aren't, at least not in the "high art" sense that Ebert is talking about. (They do all *contain* art, though, and lots of it. There's a difference.)

I remain baffled as to why Braid keeps getting held up as a shining example of this, though. I mean, The Path is way more arty than Braid is. Braid is definitely pretty, but I wouldn't call it (high) art.

Shroomhell

Apr 4, 2010
animation is art, and storytelling can be considered an art.

on the other hand Shamus is mixing words on us. or I skipped a few sentences.