Stolen Pixels #213: The Force Unloved

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Right, the backwards-lightsaber-holding was just one of the things that bugged me about that game--it doesn't look as cool as the developers seem to think it does, and he would just go back to holding it normally while fighting anyway. And wouldn't you be in constant danger of slicing your own arm off?
That backwards grip is a variation of the Form V:Shien style.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shien
Just so ya know.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Right, the backwards-lightsaber-holding was just one of the things that bugged me about that game--it doesn't look as cool as the developers seem to think it does, and he would just go back to holding it normally while fighting anyway. And wouldn't you be in constant danger of slicing your own arm off?
No more in danger than you are of cutting off your own leg if you hold it normally.

It's a combat style that's already in the expanded universe anyway - and boy do I feel nerdy for knowing that.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Woodsey said:
No more in danger than you are of cutting off your own leg if you hold it normally.
I think "Not cutting off your own limbs" is the first thing they teach you in Lightsaber school. Come to think of it, its probably why their prosthetics are so advanced...

I like the style simply because it is a variation.

Taneer

Sep 1, 2008
Last panel, didn't you mean "a dozen Jedi" or "Dozens of Jedi" rather than "Dozen Jedi"?

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
matrix3509 said:
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Just so ya know.
and it makes even less sense after reading this article.

If your form is supposed to be so great against blaster fire, why the hell do you start with the blade behind you? The fact that he graps the hilt so the blade faces "down" makes it even worse

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
You know what makes this comic even more funny than it already is? Reading Vader's lines in his voice. I didn't do a particulary good job, but someone else can probably manage better.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Hell with gangsta style, I would just throw the saber and have a roll and an espresso while chopping up gangstas using the force.
LewsTherin said:
At least he didn't chop-top the TIE and put a cheap spoiler on it.
But it definitely needs chrome. Lots of chrome.

Food for thought: Jedi with ADD. Night folks!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Stolen Pixels #213: The Force Unloved

It's hard to imagine Darth Vader ever actually being a father.

Read Full Article
I always did hate the way Starkiller held his Lightsaber. Thank you for having Vader scold him for it.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Moriarty said:

If your form is supposed to be so great against blaster fire, why the hell do you start with the blade behind you? The fact that he grasps the hilt so the blade faces "down" makes it even worse
I'm not saying it makes sense, its just that its part of canon now. Ahsoka Tano (aka Anakin's apprentice in Clone Wars) also used the reverse grip.

As far as I can tell the grip is usually only used in the opening stance, while the form utilizes lots of quick switches between reverse ands standard grips.

Toothache of Sauron

Jan 4, 2010
What would Vader do with an undisciplined son?

It depends on whether it is during A New Hope, later or previous.

- New Hope: Vader punishes him by not allowing him the use of the Force to play out cool battles with his toy figures. And take his holocomics for one week.

- After New Hope: Vader kills him and tells mom "it's time to use the plug, again".

- Before New Hope: He gives him a bland speech along the lines of "You have to be good, son. You are making me start to faintly consider some kind of punishment, but you know that is a politician's measure and it's too bad for me. So just try to not slice the next maid lady with my lightsaber. Do you know how much those politicians charge everytime I have to hire a new one?". To which the kid says "Oh, I know the horror of what I've done. Huh, daddy?. I just foresaw our new maid and I just force chocked her in her sleep". "That's my boy!".

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Moriarty said:
matrix3509 said:
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Just so ya know.

If your form is supposed to be so great against blaster fire, why the hell do you start with the blade behind you? The fact that he graps the hilt so the blade faces "down" makes it even worse
My assumption would be that who ever conjured up the idea took it from the way a sai workes in a starting position, against the length of the forearm. From their you can quick switch to a forward position and in the default position you are on the defensive protecting the entire length of your arm. Considering this I think it would make some sense to hold a lightsaber down with the tip pointing towards your elbow when taking blaster fire, especially if you stand sideways you expose far less of your body than standing full front and holding the blade down requires you to only make up, down, side to side movements with your arm and you could theoretically protect most of your body. Whereas if you stood sideways with the blade pointing up you'd have to make pretty drastic movements to protect the lower half of your body. In the end I honestly don't know the answer but that is my best guess as to why.

Blackbird71

May 22, 2009
Rednog said:
Moriarty said:
matrix3509 said:
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Just so ya know.

My assumption would be that who ever conjured up the idea took it from the way a sai workes in a starting position, against the length of the forearm. From their you can quick switch to a forward position and in the default position you are on the defensive protecting the entire length of your arm. Considering this I think it would make some sense to hold a lightsaber down with the tip pointing towards your elbow when taking blaster fire, especially if you stand sideways you expose far less of your body than standing full front and holding the blade down requires you to only make up, down, side to side movements with your arm and you could theoretically protect most of your body. Whereas if you stood sideways with the blade pointing up you'd have to make pretty drastic movements to protect the lower half of your body. In the end I honestly don't know the answer but that is my best guess as to why.
Two problems with the sai comparison:

1) A sai is much shorter than a standard lightsaber; a full-length sword blade makes this sort of grip much more unwieldly.

2) A sai does not have a blade, no sharp edges to press against your arm as you use it to brace the weapon. A lightsaber is definitely not something you want to bend back towards your own limbs.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Blackbird71 said:
Rednog said:
Moriarty said:
matrix3509 said:
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Just so ya know.

Two problems with the sai comparison:

1) A sai is much shorter than a standard lightsaber; a full-length sword blade makes this sort of grip much more unwieldly.

2) A sai does not have a blade, no sharp edges to press against your arm as you use it to brace the weapon. A lightsaber is definitely not something you want to bend back towards your own limbs.
That's why I said someone took the idea of a sai.
1) Sai's are still somewhat beefy in length, you're supposed to pick ones that while pressed against you're arm the tip is supposed to reach your elbow. So while not as long as a sword it is still fairly up there in length. And an attack that would swing the tip starting back, swinging out away from the body and forward like a sai isn't obscenely difficult.I just managed to do it on my friend's display katana after a few tries, the only thing really making it difficult was the shape of the handle not being round and having the guard be in my way. But lightsaber's seem to have more rounded handles with no hilts much more like a sai. Also some blade physics come into blade, does the actual light saber consist of more weight than just the handle? If not then what one considers wield-able comes into question.
2) Completely agreed, but that might be why the few instances we've seen the style used have the character holding the blade tilted back and away from the arm. The idea of having a sai pressed against the skin of the forearm is that you can fully block a sword blow in that position, which clearly isn't ideal for a lightsaber.
In the end, like I said, I think my theory does hold some water, while not perfect, I think that holding the blade backwards like that as a starting and being able to provide ample cover during blaster fire is pretty interesting and makes my sense than holding the saber with both hands full front.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
As far as I know, holding a sword in the reverse grip like that has a number of disadvantages; mainly shorter reach, a restricted range of wrist movement, difficulty in executing blocks and attacks and reverse grip also gives far less leverage. Before anyone claims otherwise; I'm talking about swords, not knives.

Of course this is a lightsaber, not a sword, so some of those wouldn't be such a problem... blocking would be worse, though. I imagine Junior there carving a piece out of himself by accident quite a bit.

Melancholy_Ocelot

Feb 2, 2009
Rednog said:
Blackbird71 said:
Rednog said:
*Snip*

I made it through Jedi Knights, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy with no inclination what-so-ever to hold my lightsaber backwards.

Also, the backhand saber style has been the subject of much debate between my friend and I. My friend has studied Aikido for 12 years now. We have unanimously decided that any backhanded sword style is limited, predictable, and only in the game for the "gangster" look.

minespatch

Jan 13, 2011
Starkiller? I played the game a few months ago at my uncle's place and I swore they ran out of ideas for Star Wars. Rereading the protagonist's name just made me stabilize my facts.