Stolen Pixels #233: The Wonders!

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #233: The Wonders!

These are the other Wonders of the Civilization world.

Read Full Article

Dev Null

Jul 29, 2008
Sounds cool. I'd play it, but I have some things I need to get done in the next year or two...

Traigus

Sep 7, 2010
You do know that there is more than one weinermobile. It isn't a singular wonder... They have a small fleet of them

It's a TRAP!

Rauten

Capitalism ho!
Apr 4, 2010
Traigus said:
You do know that there is more than one weinermobile. It isn't a singular wonder... They have a small fleet of them
It's quite obviously a new unit in an expansion.

Just imagine, assaulting a city with an army completely made of... WEINERS

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Rauten said:
Traigus said:

But... but... France is already overpowered...

Gah, I have to get back to Civ V. Those city-states won't conquer themselves, you know.

greenflash

Jul 13, 2010
Rauten said:
Traigus said:

it's a WEINER WAR!

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Double A said:
Rauten said:
Traigus said:

Gah, I have to get back to Civ V. Those city-states won't conquer themselves, you know.
Are they really? I was trying for a cultural victory as Napoleon in Civ V, but got slaughtered by Germany. What really sucked was that I only had 3 cities (small civilisations in the higher difficulties at least, I can assure you, are not a viable strategy, as far as I can see), whilst Bismarck had, and I am not making this up, 17 cities. And they were the only ones I could see. There is no way one civ should be able to control that many cities without serious consequences.

Still, I love it, and I think all I have to do is find the time to try some new strategies.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Civ 5 being a wonder fits perfectly in the context of civ 5 the game. Afterall, most of the wonders in that are surprisingly boring and not worth building.

It's weird how humour of this type just doesn't work when it praises a game I've come to loathe so badly.

Ashsaver

Your friendly Yandere
Jun 10, 2010
I just laughed at "No productivities,for anyone,ever again." it's so true. lol, oooh my side,xD

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Andronicus said:
Double A said:
Rauten said:
Traigus said:

Are they really? I was trying for a cultural victory as Napoleon in Civ V, but got slaughtered by Germany. What really sucked was that I only had 3 cities (small civilisations in the higher difficulties at least, I can assure you, are not a viable strategy, as far as I can see), whilst Bismarck had, and I am not making this up, 17 cities. And they were the only ones I could see. There is no way one civ should be able to control that many cities without serious consequences.

Still, I love it, and I think all I have to do is find the time to try some new strategies.
France gets unique musketeers AND infantry. Tell me that's not overpowered.

edit: Also, Bismark probably didn't have a lot of happiness, and if they were won by conquest, possibly not a lot of gold, assuming he kept all the units. And if not, his core cities are probably populated by three people and a mule.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Double A said:
Andronicus said:
Double A said:
Rauten said:
Traigus said:

edit: Also, Bismark probably didn't have a lot of happiness, and if they were won by conquest, possibly not a lot of gold, assuming he kept all the units. And if not, his core cities are probably populated by three people and a mule.
Eh, maybe. He threw quite a lot at me, and he had quite obviously funnelled all his reasearch into military-based techs; he was using cannons when I'd barely just received Pikemen. I was aiming for the more economy and culture-based techs though, so that's understandable. I focused so much on trying to keep my productivity and culture up, I avoided building more cities as they'd just cost me, but in retrospect I can see that having a lot of cities means more opportunity to build things like temples, and especially extra military units for if I get attacked.

I could go on about tonnes of things I could have done to improve, but I won't bore you (any more) with my ramblings. Incidentally, I never got to the "overpowered" French units before I was consumed.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Gah, I really want to play this game now. Five weeks of CIV comics have sparked a civilization hunger inside me.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I will play this game, however having only just discovered the Rise of Mankind Mod for IV (I'm a bit slow, so sue me) it might be quite some time in the future.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Andronicus said:
Double A said:
Andronicus said:
Double A said:
Rauten said:
Traigus said:

Eh, maybe. He threw quite a lot at me, and he had quite obviously funnelled all his reasearch into military-based techs; he was using cannons when I'd barely just received Pikemen. I was aiming for the more economy and culture-based techs though, so that's understandable. I focused so much on trying to keep my productivity and culture up, I avoided building more cities as they'd just cost me, but in retrospect I can see that having a lot of cities means more opportunity to build things like temples, and especially extra military units for if I get attacked.

I could go on about tonnes of things I could have done to improve, but I won't bore you (any more) with my ramblings. Incidentally, I never got to the "overpowered" French units before I was consumed.
Not to sound like... a douche... but... it's entirely possible to win with just one city. You just need to be really focused.

Also, temples don't cost too much. And there's also that nice National Epic you can get for building monuments in all your cities. That's always nice to have.

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
Double A said:
Andronicus said:
Double A said:
Rauten said:
Traigus said:

That's not overpowered.

Sure, it's good for a late-ish game military focus, but a lot of other civilizations get buildings that are usualy useful from the day you get them till the game ends.