Stolen Pixels #233: The Wonders!

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Scary Wonders. I'd avoid them. Hell if any other civ would build them i'd leave em alone afraid to take a city with such evil evil things.

As for Civ itself, i'm still waiting for proper patches..or expansion. Anything that would kill the overpowered tactic of quick tech to Civil Service. Im usually in Medieval Era at ~1800 BC and reach cannons when other civs are still making spearmen.

Also, i consider Chinese to be the most overpowered civ. Their crossbowman can shoot twice and Paper Maker instead Library is a huge money boost.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
The last one was pretty much right. Also I did do the one city challenge(Ghandi's bonus that halves number of city unhappiness helps a lot) and as long as you get a good spot to drop your city it isn't too tough.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Euro Disney needs more love.

...Out of pity, of course.
WHAT?! Europe has a Disney land?!

OT: I want this game so much...I wonder how much money my little brother has...

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Culture victory with 1 city as egypt. Came down to me vs alexander the great who conquered the entire world except me and some city states that were funded by me. 10 turns away from default end game, I lost several times to the default end before I found the right strategy at an earlier turn. Hooray for having every productive wonder in the game except for the later tier ones in science because I couldn't generate enough points and have a culture boost. Fairly OP.

Ninetail

Jul 30, 2008
Keava said:
Also, i consider Chinese to be the most overpowered civ. Their crossbowman can shoot twice and Paper Maker instead Library is a huge money boost.
The Great General boost isn't anything to overlook, either. Once you start getting them, it basically translates into a constant bonus to almost all combat.

France is definitely a contender, though. Big culture boost in the early game, nice military boost post-gunpowder.

Egypt is pretty weak, but if you want all the wonders, an Egyptian capital with Tradition's 33% wonder boost and with improved marble in its radius is just ridiculous.

As a city builder, though, my favorite is Rome. Faster construction of any building my capital already has? Awesome.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
ThePirateMan said:
Double A said:
Andronicus said:
Double A said:
Rauten said:
Traigus said:
You do know that there is more than one weinermobile. It isn't a singular wonder... They have a small fleet of them
It's quite obviously a new unit in an expansion.

Just imagine, assaulting a city with an army completely made of... WEINERS
But... but... France is already overpowered...

Gah, I have to get back to Civ V. Those city-states won't conquer themselves, you know.
Are they really? I was trying for a cultural victory as Napoleon in Civ V, but got slaughtered by Germany. What really sucked was that I only had 3 cities (small civilisations in the higher difficulties at least, I can assure you, are not a viable strategy, as far as I can see), whilst Bismarck had, and I am not making this up, 17 cities. And they were the only ones I could see. There is no way one civ should be able to control that many cities without serious consequences.

Still, I love it, and I think all I have to do is find the time to try some new strategies.
France gets unique musketeers AND infantry. Tell me that's not overpowered.

edit: Also, Bismark probably didn't have a lot of happiness, and if they were won by conquest, possibly not a lot of gold, assuming he kept all the units. And if not, his core cities are probably populated by three people and a mule.
That's not overpowered.

Sure, it's good for a late-ish game military focus, but a lot of other civilizations get buildings that are usualy useful from the day you get them till the game ends.
True, but the Foreign Legion's 20% attack bonus outside friendly territory stays with them for the rest of the game, assuming they don't die. There's also that nice cultural bonus they get before steam power, and if you're playing any speed other than the fastest, that's probably at least a day away from when you start.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
The weinermobile...so ugly...but I want to ride in one.

I am partly relieved I dont have Ci-V yet taking into account that last wonder.

pacati

Oct 4, 2010
Sad is the day when Shaymus stops putting out Civ5 comics.

edit: Oh and, as far as overpowered civs, the general king has to be China. But if you're running a domination campaign on a huge map (that will take many eons to complete), my vote is Japan. Having ALL units attack/defend at full strength regardless of health is the gift that keeps on giving.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Ninetail said:
Egypt is pretty weak, but if you want all the wonders, an Egyptian capital with Tradition's 33% wonder boost and with improved marble in its radius is just ridiculous.
I disagree about Egypt being weak. Thanks to snatching every wonder possible you can become an economical, scientific and cultural empire really easy. This actually led me to the point, when I just upgraded my five warrior units built back in the ancient era into mechanized infantry when the enemy still had musketeers at best. I won thanks to the culture (I built only two cities), but when I decided to play some more and try to conquer some other nations it was really easy, especially with a giant death robot.

tl;dr version: As long as you'll stay out of war during early stages (giving some tributes will hurt your pride but may also save your skin), Egypt is a beast in every aspect of the game.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Sadly the comics for Civ V are more entertaining then the game is. Currently experiencing severe buyer's remorse.

I disagree with all the glowing reviews, it seriously makes me question reviewers integrity. It's like their more interested in retaining access then good journalism.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Seriously I need dual screening. That last wonder and what you said about your productivity dropping down to zero when you got back to your gnome mage in WoW fit together in me. So I need to be able to make my modern armor roll over ghandi cities while I throw some HoTs on raid in Icecrown Citadel :p.

pacati

Oct 4, 2010
Euro Disney is in France, and if the Simpsons are any indication, nobody goes there and the employees are so strapped for cash they cannot afford to buy wine for their children.

"Hellloooo?! Euro Disney open for business! Who are you to say no, hanh?"

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
tehroc said:
Sadly the comics for Civ V are more entertaining then the game is. Currently experiencing severe buyer's remorse.

I disagree with all the glowing reviews, it seriously makes me question reviewers integrity. It's like their more interested in retaining access then good journalism.
Yes, because it's totally impossible that they simply enjoyed a game that you didn't.

Sure there are a few hacks out there on the internet willing to do that kind of thing, but there are a few people on the internet willing to do anything you can imagine and more. You didn't like the game, and that's fine, but claiming that anybody who says they like it must be lying to steal your money is just silly and rude at the same time.

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
Ah Charles De Gaulle, he played an interesting role in the schizophrenic love-hate drama that is Franco-American relations.